PDA

View Full Version here: : Has anyone purchased from "Techrific Australia"?

Lester
11-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi all,

I have been looking online now for some days for Canon 5D MK ll body and canon 70-200 F2.8L lens. Many of the cheapest are from over seas, where GST has to be added on, and in some cases warranty is reduced and would be a pain if had to send items back.

So I have come accross this "Techrific Australia" that are based in Australia and their prices are very good and better than the Hong Kong chaps when GST is added on. Their after sales backup is reported to be very good also.

So just wondering if anyone has purchased from them?

Here is a link.
http://www.techrific.com.au/index.php

Octane
11-01-2012, 04:44 PM
I've never heard of them.

You are far, far better off buying from somewhere like D&D Photographics, or DWI, or DCW.

If something ever goes wrong with your camera, you'll pay through the nose to have it fixed.

If you buy from an official retailer like JB Hi-Fi, you have the piece of mind of having your camera fixed by Canon itself.

Through D&D, DWI and DCW, etc., you have to take your camera back to them -- as the camera is a grey import, local Canon service won't want to know about you.

Sometimes, saving a couple of bucks just doesn't make sense, on high ticket items.

H

mozzie
11-01-2012, 05:06 PM
and there advertising for the iphone 5 $9,999.00.......wow seems like a bargain!!!!!!!!

Stardrifter_WA
11-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Never heard of them! Are they an Australian Canon authorised distributor; or are they sourcing from Hong Kong anyway?

I have always found that when it comes to electronics, it is always better to deal with a well established and long term dealer. You may pay more, but they will still probably be around if something goes wrong. The same cannot be said about new online companies.....they come, and they go.

Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware) is the rule! That is, the buyer takes all the risk. Under law, reputable companies have some legal obligations, and that is why you can pay more.

renormalised
11-01-2012, 08:04 PM
http://camerapro.net.au/canon-mark-body-bonus-sandisk-16gb-australian-stock-stock-p-212.html

and

http://camerapro.net.au/canon-70200mm-f28l-p-1008.html

Lester
11-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks Hymayun, Peter, Peter and Carl for your comments and sound advice. :thumbsup: But :eyepop: after 2 days of looking at stuff on the laptop and comparing prices etc. etc. I went and purchased from the "unknown" crowd. :question: The places that have been mentioned either didn't even sell what I wanted or prices were many $100s of dollars more.

So I will add to this thread when the items arrive, to inform you on the results.

All the best.:thumbsup:

iceman
11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
How much did it end up being for the body, Lester?

I'm in the market for a 5D Mark II body myself. I was going to go with DWI or D-D.

Lester
11-01-2012, 09:03 PM
$2,243.95 Mike.

Visionoz
12-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Looks like this guy has been operating for quite some time as he claimed - ie from 2003

He is a sole-trader with an Aust ABN but not registered for GST hence might be a good reason for "low prices"

See attached image

At least being a sole-trader you can sue him but you first have to get an address better than a PO Box!

HTH
Cheers
Bill

Stardrifter_WA
12-01-2012, 01:21 AM
That's interesting. Didn't know you could run a business and NOT be registered for GST. So, how's that work :question:

ballaratdragons
12-01-2012, 01:32 AM
By being a 'Duty Free' store.
But the 'non travelling' general public cannot buy from a Duty Free store :shrug:

Hmmmm . . . interesting.

ballaratdragons
12-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Some interesting reading here. Mixed results about their service: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1044263

and some reviews:
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/techrific-australia.html

http://www.myshopping.com.au/SV--2252331_Techrific_Australia

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=393832907&postcount=7

rmcconachy
12-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Annual turn over of <$75,000. See <http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.aspx?doc=/content/20724.htm&page=5>.

Finite
12-01-2012, 05:17 AM
The seller won't be carrying any stock, when someone buys from them they will immediately order the item from the manufacturer. That's why the item isnt on your doorstep the next day.

Mind you, if the camera isnt a knock off and is genuinely canon there shouldnt be an issue with its quality, for instance a grey import canon camera is not going to be an inferior camera to those sold locally. And if there is an issue then yes it has to go overseas for a fix, but there's likely better service from the overseas company who makes them than from a local distributor. They may even be more likely to replace faulty goods than shag about fixing a bad item. I'm just surmising on that one, I don't know, but I do know a NZ new phone I bought stuffed up within three weeks of purchase and Telecom wouldn't replace it, it was sent for repair, I got it back it packed up again and it's gone in for a second repair. And in Dick Smith Electronics just after Christmas whilst waiting to be served a 20 something couple were in with a camera which was in for its third repair and they were debating with staff that the camera is just no good and that it should be replaced. No go.
That is not customer service, it's customer dis-service.

I do have a grey import Canon 7D, and Canon 18-200 lens. Two years now, not a problem. Prior was a grey import Canon 20D and 17-85 image stabilised lens for 4 yrs, no problem sold it only because i'd bought the 7D. I work on the premise that when it goes wrong I'll pay and have it sent overseas for repair if need be, it doesn't take long to fly it over, but by the time a decent brand camera packs it in it'll be well outside its warranty and may well be outdated enough to buy the new (grey import) latest version or replace with a good second hand one if repair doesn't seem viable.

Sorry for the long post!

Baddad
12-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi Lester & Mike,

Ted's Cameras is a good one to deal with in Brisbane. They will negotiate the price. I had $700 off a purchase I made 6 months ago.

http://www.teds.com.au/digital-slr-cameras

naskies
13-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Another thing to consider... the Canon 24-105 mm f/4L IS lens is cheaper as part of the 5DmkII kit than standalone, e.g. $624 vs $1029 at BHPhotoVideo.

I know that some people buy the lens as a kit and then sell it off completely unused at a small profit, though I don't know whether there's enough market demand for the 24-105 for this to work.

Lester
13-01-2012, 07:54 AM
I appreciate all your comments. Yesterday I ordered a camerabag and UV/IR cut filter for the zoom lens from DWI.

Techrific informed my by email that if items need warranty work they get that done in Melbourne.

Will keep you informed on the progress with camera and lens.

rider
13-01-2012, 02:40 PM
type in to your browser this companies web site followed by "review" and select the whirlpool entry. - nothing good said there since they started trading.

Lester
13-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi all,

on the 11th January (2 days ago) I had multiple email contacts with these people asking questions prior to my transaction. They would respond within the hour to my questions.

I have sent many emails since asking if the items have been sent, without any response at all.

I have since done a search on the DWI customer responses and seems they are not without fault either.

If all turns up next week in good condition then I will rest easy.

But in the meantime........................... .....

All the best.

Lester
13-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Just got a email reply, saying I should recieve it sometime next week.

If that happens I will be very happy.

Liz
13-01-2012, 04:44 PM
good to hear Lester.:thumbsup:

I was getting a bit worried too, aftewr following your thread, as have just bought a camera from a site I didnt know (topbuy) which says Australian.

They had given me a number to check the postage trek, and the camera has come from Hongkong and now in Brissie. Hopefully OK.

Octane
13-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the club. :)

H

Lester
13-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks Liz; hope all is good with your purchase also. Atleast a thread like this will inform others of what is involved, good and bad.

All the best.

UniPol
14-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I bought a brand new 5D MkII body from a dealer on eBay a few months ago and couldn't be happier. The cost was $2090 AUS inclusive of shipping and GST. It was sent directly from HK within three days (even though the seller listed his business in Melbourne). He also offered a 3 year warranty (sent back to Melbourne). I also bought a 580 EX II flash for around $450 from the same dealer (included GST, shipping & 3 year warranty). I am not concerned about a warranty in any case as I have owned and still own (passed on to the kids) a 300D, 350D, 400D & 450D and have never had a problem of any description.

If you shop around on eBay you certainly can pick up some bargains such as the following items for my 5D : brand new in boxes inc. free shipping from HK, Canon E1 handgrip $9, 2 x genuine LP-E6 batteries $32 and BG-E6 battery grip $59; an even $100 all up.

As a matter of interest, I have added some picks of the 5D shown with my 450D, the 5D turned out much larger than I expected with the extra accessories!

Lester
14-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Good one Steve, excellent price too.

I didn't know when GST is an issue, had a look on the GST site and quickly got lost in pages of guff that got me lost. I have seen some sub $2,000 prices for 5D MK ll bodies, but didn't know if GST was going to come into the equation.

All the best.

Lester
24-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

The 5D MK ll and 70-200 f2.8L lens turned up today, so almost 2 weeks from order date. I ordered a camera bag and filter from DWI the day after ordering the camera and lens and that has not arrived as yet, so seems 2 weeks is a realistic time for my neck of the woods. Different if one is in a capital city.

Liz
25-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Great to hear Lester!! My 60D made it safely too. :)

Lester
25-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks Liz, and good to know your camera turned up okay also.

So IMO there are hundreds of $$ to be saved by shopping this way. Just purchased a mains power supply for the 5D camera that was a third of the price inclucing postage, of the cheapest in Australia. They were, BestBatt.com . I purchased a mains power supply for my Astro 40D a few years ago from them and it is working fine.

All the best.

lizstickers
21-10-2012, 11:29 PM
I have recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S III mobile phone on-line from Techrific. After a long wait, the phone arrived at last and found that it came with an operating manual without any English, so could not read the manual to follow the start-up steps to comply with any warranty requirements. The next surprise was the phone charger cord requires an adapter as the plug pin of the charger is not suited to Australian socket. During the purchase, Techrific provided an option to choose for a free gift and I choose the car charger. When the phone was delivered, I realised that it was a cheap car charger, not Samsung brand. All these information were not mentioned in their website and one must enquire prior to purchasing. The service of Techrific is appalling.:mad2:

jenchris
22-10-2012, 04:19 AM
I'm presently in UK and the prices of canon gear RRP is about 60% of that in Oz

Lester
22-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Wow Jennifer, that is a big saving. I would not go back to techrific, and only as their communication after they got my money wasn't great. DWI and B&H are very good IMO. All the best.

pluto
22-10-2012, 10:12 AM
I can recommend http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/ for grey import cameras.
I bought my 5DmkII and some other stuff there and if you're in Sydney it's great to be able to go into an actual shop and get the same prices as online.
BUT I have a friend who bought a 7D from them and it was a lemon, it got sent away to be fixed twice and each time it was away for over a month.
I guess you can get unlucky and I'm not sure how much better the experience would have been for him had it been a local stock camera.

iceman
22-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I've used D-D as well for heaps of stuff. Bought some lenses and accessories from them.

hussainAlsaadi
03-01-2014, 05:31 AM
Do not deal with Techrific. I purchased a Samsung S4 and used it for less than a month then No voice when i make or receive a call,Sent it back to them twice to get it remedied but they just install a new firmware and send it back to me.I have been waiting in this state for more than three months.sent it to Sydney then to Melbourne and wasted my money on posting the item.
I will only purchase electronic goods from a store now as Techrific made shopping online the worst.

Lucky,the xmas finished so i will contact the Consumer protection & seek a compensation at a magistrate.

Remember DO NOT BUY FROM Techrific

Davi5678
05-01-2014, 06:53 PM
D-D Photographics went into receivership in August, they are still trading with a new A.B.N. and supposedly new owners, but I am still waiting for a Visa chargeback to come through for $3000. I wouldn't touch any of these online stores after that experience, but I did purchase from Digital Rev, as they accept Paypal and I felt more confident with Paypal's buyer protection.
The products turned up within 4 days, as opposed to waiting for over 8 weeks with D-D Photographics and then finding out they had gone bust.
Caveat Emptor indeed!