PDA

View Full Version here: : Any new observations?

Merlin66
10-01-2012, 06:39 PM
The weather has been so bad over here in Belgium that I haven't even managed to get the telescope back into the observatory!
I'm relying on your spectral observations to give me my fix!!
Anyone managing to get any spectroscope work done in Oz?

Terry B
10-01-2012, 07:51 PM
The short answer is no.
I've only attempted to use my L200 once since Xmas and that wasn't much use. There has been enough clear weather for occasional photometry but not for the spectrograph

Rob_K
11-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Nothing here. The little spare time I've had recently has been devoted entirely to Comet Lovejoy! Cloudy/wet again after a 'miraculous' run of fine weather over Xmas/New Year, in an otherwise gloomy period. Hoping for better weather and more free time in 2012.

Cheers -

Glenpiper
04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Hi Ken,

As I think I mentioned to you offline, I've taken a spectroscopy 'holiday' since the Delta Sco campaign finished last October, but now that the Xmas and vacation season is over and the weather has improved I've got back into the swing this week. I was supposed to start a monitoring campaign on a particular LMC star for a US researcher but have sadly found out that the recent strong growth of some neighbour's fence line trees have blocked that star from view :(

The long delayed re-start of my eta Car monitoring campaign (still no sign of the anticipated BIG explosion), for a European resercher, and long running Be star survey have finally got back on track with six or seven hours of echelle spectra this week.

Cheers,
Bernard

Merlin66
06-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Bernard,
Sounds great!!
I'm really pleased to hear some spectroscopy is being done...somewhere!
The winter weather over here in Europe has been really bad and I haven't managed to get telescope/ spectroscope/ clear sky together since well before Xmas...
Look forward to seeing your results.

Poita
13-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm interested to get into it, but not really sure where to start.

Merlin66
13-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Peter,
The easiest way to make a start is to get a Star Analyser or Rainbow Optic grating. Either of these can be fitted into the nosepiece of your camera (webcam, CCD or DSLR)
Mounted on a scope they will quickly show you the spectra of the brighter stars.
Processing the spectra can be done with the freeware IRIS and VSpec or Tom Field's commercial package RSpec.
Com' on over - you'll love it!

Poita
14-02-2012, 10:35 AM
What cameras would be suitable?
I have a QHY8 OSC, and a DMK21 mono, as well as some DSLRs a mallincam and the lodestar guider.
Scopes are an ED80, 10" ACF SCT and Lomo 105/650 refractor.

Are these the items in question?
http://www.starspectroscope.com/ProductList.html

http://www.patonhawksley.co.uk/staranalyser.html

Any recommendations as to which is the best way to go?

Merlin66
14-02-2012, 01:33 PM
All of those cameras can be used for starters....the ideal is a mono CCD.
Both the gratings are good. The Star Analyser was designed for the smaller webcam chips, so it's sometimes easier to use when you start.
Also, I'm not sure that the Rainbow Optics is currently available outside the US....

Poita
14-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll grab the Star Analyser then, and use the DMK21 mono to start with. Might plug the DBK21 colour in to show the kids the colours as well.
Have been reading up and it looks like a lot of fun.