PDA

View Full Version here: : Which Scope for my 8yr old daughter?

RB
16-03-2006, 10:55 AM
As a few of you may know, I've been thinking about a first scope for my daughter's 8th birthday coming up soon.
She loves astronomy and even wants to sign up to IIS.
I've been talking to a few of you about which scope to buy her but I'd like some wider feedback and opinions from all of you, my friends, here on IIS.

I'll open it up to your opinions and suggestions.

Really appriciate your feedback.

:help2:

ving
16-03-2006, 11:01 AM
depends on what you want to spend...
how bout an st80 on a alt/az mount?

Dan31415
16-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Having an eight year old daughter myself, and recently purchased a new scope (after some great advice from the IIS forum) I would recommend the 8 inch SkyWatcher dob. The six inch isn’t that much smaller, the OTA is the same length and the base is about the same. My daughter thinks it is great and 8 inches is enough WOW factor. At eight she is just tall enough to look into the eyepiece by herself. The other thing with the SkyWatcher is that it is finished off much nicer than other dobs for the price. While this may not be an issue for grown men, judging by my daughter’s reaction it is very important for eight year old girls. Now the only disadvantage is the weight, but then an eight year old girl isn’t going to be carrying any telescope by herself anyway and the other option of a tripod would be relatively difficult to carry as well. The dob is also much easier to move around (unless of course we consider a GOTO). The only thing I would add to the Dob pack is a RACI finder – makes it much easier for a child get on target.

Mikezoom
16-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Just give her yours then you will have to buy a NEW scope for yourself. :thumbsup:

OTOH, you would obviously want something easy to setup so a small Dob or as Ving said a st80.

Mike.B.

GrampianStars
16-03-2006, 11:50 AM
suonds right Ving
my 7yo loves the ED80 on the GPDX mount with GOTO :thumbsup:
accordingly it looks like a real telescope:rolleyes:

matt
16-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Yeah. Go a refractor. No need at that age to put a downer on the whole thing with collimation ... thermal equilibrium ... blah blah

janoskiss
16-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I vote for an 80mm achro f7.5 on an AZ3, like the ones sold by aoe.com.au for $249.

I think it's important that the child should be able to "own" the telescope, which means handling and carrying it by themselves. The 80mm on an AZ3 would qualify (even if the tripod and scope need to be carried outside separately).

Miaplacidus
16-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Dunno about the scope. Probably I'd favour the dob, but the arguments on both sides are good. Mainly I'd suggest something that also had a unit powered finder (something like a Telrad), that makes it easy to point. And perhaps a nice easy low powered eyepiece with plenty of eyerelief.

Whatever you get, paint it a pretty colour.

RAJAH235
16-03-2006, 05:36 PM
IMHO, the 6" or 8" dob would be a better T'scope. No need for her to worry about 'cool down times', moving in 2 pieces should not be too difficult & bigger, brighter images, than a smaller apertured Refractor. Also has lots more room for that extra bit of personalised paint work or sticker.....:shrug:.....:D L.
ps. A Telrad would be handy.

janoskiss
16-03-2006, 06:25 PM
My plate glass mirror 8" Dob does need significant cooldown time to perform at its best. A fan is essential to get consistently good planetary views.

dhumpie
16-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Some good suggestions there but I think dobs might be the way to go. They are intuitively easy to use (I just had a semi public viewing session at my driveway last Sat and you should have seen my wife's friends having a ball waltzing with my 10" dob :) Its a pity we can't get those Orion StarBlast scopes here cause that would be the ideal scope IMHO. The 80ST on AZ3 sounds good but it involves annoying locking knobs that are hard to tighten down (read this from reviews).....so the best bet..I say the 6" GS dob.....

Darren

cjmarsh81
16-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Matt is right. I can't see an 8 year old collimating a scope and a refractor is probably the easiest thing for her to use. Although, you could always collimate it for her until she is old enough to do it herself.

asimov
16-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Either the 6 or 8 inch dob (GSO or skywatcher) In my opinion Andrew. As mentioned above: easily carried in 2 sections, reasonable aperture for those Bright DSO's & star clusters. & do get a fan for her.;)

davidpretorius
16-03-2006, 06:52 PM
I have daughters and will not try and understand how their mind works etc. As you mention, colour is a good thing and will no doubt mean a lot and room for stickers is also important.

At the end of the day, how perfect must the view be in all honesty??? My 6yr old and my wife looks at saturn and goes wow at the rings. She does not pick up issues like a 4 degree temp difference causing thermal tube currents.

Also, how much of the interest in astronomy is "cos Dad does it". This is also an important factor.

So for an 8 yr old, I believe an 8" dob will be the scope, unless she is wanting the scope for serious planetay sketching or imaging and isssues like cool down are important.

Any view she gets or finds and then says proudly "Dad, look what I have found" will bring you running over and sharing the experience, regardless of seeing or tube currents.

.............hmmmmm, who's chest will burst with pride and will have a glisten in the eye????

janoskiss
16-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Please don't buy the Dob, Andrew! :prey: I don't want to be one with a kiddie scope. :ashamed:

Starkler
16-03-2006, 08:12 PM
The six will have the altitude bearing further up the tube than the 8, meaning hieght difference from horizon to zenith will be less. Whether thats a factor for an 8yo I dont know.

Im just thinking of Steve here ;)

matt
16-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Dave ...

Are your 6 year old and wife looking at Saturn through your well collimated scope after the mirror's had a bit of time to reach ambient temp and tube currents have had a chance to settle down?

If the view's not that important how 'bout a 60mm department store/ camera houses scope?:rolleyes:

At the end of the day.....

surely an 8" scope's too good for them?:lol:

janoskiss
16-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Well, opinion is clearly divided on this. My housemate's 9 y.o. boy is scared of the 8" Dob. Scared to go near it or look through it. He's here every other weekend but it took me and his father a year to convince him to have a look through it. OTOH he was happy to play with a cheapo department store refractor for a while until the flimsy tripod got the better of him.

Best thing would be to take the child to a scope shop or better a star party and let them choose the one they like best.

matt
16-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Right on the money, Steve:thumbsup:

It's amazing how often the "try before you buy" settles most debates.

Miaplacidus
16-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Andrew, have you thought this through? Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to encourage some other hobby. Buy her a horse.

GrampianStars
16-03-2006, 10:41 PM
:lol: for a 10 yr old a 10" dob
:lol: for a 12 yr old a 12" dob
:lol: for a 14 yr old a 14" dob

etc. etc. etc.

wait till a 20 yr old :eyepop:

RAJAH235
16-03-2006, 11:14 PM
It all comes down to what the child is happy with, so compare @ a star party or club night.
Still reckon a 6" or 8" dob would be better.
How many of you/us have put on 'Scouts or Girl Guides' nights & had the most junior & smallest of children show up at your 10" or larger t'scope. I've had to lift them up to the E/Pc on many occasions, or had their parents do it.
Should be np for her with a smaller dob. (Make a small box to stand on)?
:D L.
ps. Take a tape measure....if it's a surprise present.

ving
17-03-2006, 03:34 PM
i am sure dad will keep it collimated, hey ;)

ausastronomer
17-03-2006, 04:08 PM
My 9yr old had no trouble "driving" my 10"/F5 at Lostock IISAC. He was even able to use the Argo Navis once I set it up for him. Such a scope is really too big for an 8yr old to manouvre and set up. I may have mentioned to you that I plan to build my son a 6"/F5 truss dob which he will be able to move and use all by himself.

If you're not prepared to build one and are prepared to spend the money this is about as good a scope as you will get for a kid. The 6"/F5 Stargazer Steve truss dob:-

http://stargazer.isys.ca/6inch.html

It aint cheap but its top quality with excellent optics. Also a nice little travel scope for Dad I may add, with 6" of aperture.

CS-John B

ving
17-03-2006, 04:43 PM
looks ok john. :)
the little 6" f/5 is cute :)

RB
17-03-2006, 06:33 PM
A very big thank you to all who replied, I've had a lot of work commitments these last few days which made it impossible to reply.

John B thank you, we have spoken about this guy and now I have the link you told me about, I'll check it out.

:lol:
This advice should have been given to my parents when they bought me my 40mm Tasco when I was 7.
It's too late now, I'm hooked.
If she looses interest I'll keep her scope. (Come to think of it I might by her a 3.5" Questar...:rofl: )

As you can see, this is my dilemma, I'm divided between dob and a small acro.
Thanks to all who suggested a 6"-8" DOB, I appreciate you're invaluable advice and ideas.

Also your advice makes perfect sense Steve and everyone who suggested a small acro refractor too.

David P again you're right too, "Any view she gets or finds and then says proudly "Dad, look what I have found" will bring you running over and sharing the experience, regardless of seeing or tube currents."

I'll be deciding next week and I'll let you guys know what I ended up getting her, meanwhile please feel free to add any suggestions.

Once again Cheers everyone.

RB

janoskiss
17-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Andrew, have a read of this father-daughter observing experience on CN (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/796951/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1). :)

RB
17-03-2006, 07:09 PM
See that's why I hang off every piece of advice you give me Steve.

Thanks mate, great story.
{Wipes tears from his eyes..}

davidpretorius
17-03-2006, 08:30 PM
i am so tuff, nothing will get me crying:doh: ... but i will go and have a look.

although that comedy father of the bride took on a new meaning, now that there is two weddings to pay for!!

davidpretorius
17-03-2006, 08:37 PM
"Daddy, if it's clear tonight, can we look through the telescopes?" (Note the plural http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

"Well, honey, it's kinda cold."

"Please daddy? I really want to see saturn."

In the face of a concerted attack, my defenses crumbled

How soft is this guy....actually no he isn't I would have crumbled after the first question!!!

lovely story!!

RB
21-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Ok so I decided I'd go into Bintel (Sydney) today to see if I could make up my mind.
I was seriously considering an 80mm goto refractor, along the lines of what Steve suggested.
Or it was gonna be the 8" dob.
One or the other.

I walk in the door and here's Don trying out the new LightBridge. :eyepop:

Oh they look superb. :D

Came back empty handed .......:doh: :sad:

I can just imagine her using one of these.

iceman
21-03-2006, 06:02 AM
oh nice, can't wait to see the lightbridge at spsp.

33South
21-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Hey Andrew I dont think it matters, after finding and viewing the moon, saturn and jupes for the first time they will either be hooked :eyepop: or not.

Back in '56 my first was an alt/az 2" refractor - hook, line and sinker.

RB
21-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Oh yeah she's already hooked Chris, that's why I'm hunting around for a scope for her, she's been viewing for a fair while now using my scope.

janoskiss
22-03-2006, 04:24 PM
You heard the girl, Andrew! Go get that dob! Skywatcher/Saxon 8" from Myastroshop looks nice. ;)

I'll just have to learn to deal with being a kiddie scope owner. :D

RB
22-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Well I bit the bullet, I'm an old softie.
Her birthday is on Friday so if you reply to her other thread please don't tell her what I got her.

First I want to thank everyone for your advice, it was really hard to decide.
I almost went for a small refractor/goto combo, then it was gonna be a dob.
She was saying how she likes the dobs.

In the end, I fell in love with the Lightbridge when I saw it at Bintel on Monday, so I went back yesterday and bought her an 8" Lightbridge deluxe.
If anyone is thinking of buying one, they are beautiful, check em out.
Don, Mike and Mick looked after me exceptionally well.
We set up the truss tube, they collimated it and gave me some tips.
Packed it all back up as it originally was, had a bit of a yarn and I was off.
What can I say about them, in my books they're the best.

I'll post some pics on Friday when she gets her surprise.

Cheers

asimov
22-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Excellent choice Andrew, she will love it!

Well done mate! :)

iceman
22-03-2006, 07:00 PM
ah nice surprise.. paint it pink and put a sticker of a bratz on the side! She'll love it!

Can't wait to check it out!

davidpretorius
22-03-2006, 07:03 PM
hey ice can we hide this thread from astro girl, until friday at least!!

hate for her to find it and spoil the surprise!

well done tractor boy!!!

she will love it!

janoskiss
22-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow! You spoil that girl rotten Andrew. If she does not like it I'll swap you my GS Dob for it. More room for stickers on a solid tube. :lol:

RB
22-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Nah it's ok David she won't find it, she's still new to this stuff, thanks anyway.
She is basically reading her own thread ATM.
She's tickled pink at all the replies and I keep threatening her that if she keeps getting more replies than me, I'll have to moderate her good and proper.

:rofl:

It's Rocket Boy, "Davo" :lol: , not tractor boy :mad2: , the silly BBQ fell off by itself.....:(

Cheers Mike and Steve, I may do that. :rofl:

davidpretorius
22-03-2006, 08:24 PM
famous last words :rofl:

from watching my 2.5 year old and 6 year old on the internet, I'd be pulling the switch on the computer to be sure.

Its like hide a new toy or chocolate, they will find it!!!

Have a great time friday, and enjoy the moment. Weather gods will be good. It will be a very late night. The will be one softie saying "ok... but this is the last nebulae.....your mother is going to kill me.....what was that honey??? you want to try hunting neptune and watch the jupiter transit at 4am.... of course..where you need to look is......!!!!

score:
child wanting to share a father's hobby and stay up past bed time: 1

well meaning father trying to maintain control, whilst wife looks from kitchen window shaking her head at hubby totally swept up in the moment: 0

finally, bedtime....

score:
father's non stop chatter about the evening's events: 1

mother trying to chastise husband for the late night, but then anger gives way to the excitement of the moment as well: 0

:lol:

RB
22-03-2006, 08:29 PM
One word sums up your last post David,

"Exactly"

:lol: ;)

Cheers

Starkler
22-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Wow 8" lightbridge as a kids scope?

C'mon you can tell us who its really for ;)

RB
23-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Yep you guessed it Geoff, one day I'll grow up too, but until
then it's fun playing "fathers and daughters"........:rofl:

33South
23-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Good choice Andrew, I went into Bintel to check out the LightBridge on Tuesday, sure is a nice looking piece of equipment.
Reckon if I took my three granddaughers into the shop and said you can have any telescope you want they would all pick the LB.

p.s. Good to see you can now make spsp.

ving
23-03-2006, 09:32 AM
adopt me andrew!!!!! :D

the 8" lb will be great, going by the pics of the 12" posted here :)

RB
23-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks Chris, can't wait to give the LB to her tomorrow.
Looking forward to catching up @ SPSP.

You're most welcome David, another one to add to the litter.......:rofl: :whistle:

cahullian
23-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Don't forget to get her a EQ mount for tracking. After all you want it to be a birthday she will never forget. Bintel would love to see you coming into the store again. lol

Gazz