PDA

View Full Version here: : Australia Post missing parcels

jjjnettie
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
If you've had a parcel not turn up, it might have been stolen. But you may be able to get it back!!
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/12500523/parcels-stolen-by-postie-up-for-grabs/

mswhin63
05-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Most items undeclared are usually sold at auction. I have been able to go to a few of these auctions and there is so much stuff. I believe if you can identify an item missing then it may be possible to halt the sale until the goods are confirmed.

renormalised
05-01-2012, 12:40 PM
If I had a parcel stolen and they did nothing about it, I'd hold them responsible for what happened and sue them.

astroron
05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Quite a lot of times people report parcels missing t Australia Post and nothing comes of it,because Australia post says if it is not registered there is not much they can do about:mad2:
This thread is the first time I have heard about these Auctions:rolleyes:
I am sure the people who have lost stuff would not be very pleased:mad2:
Cheers :thumbsup:

mswhin63
05-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered post is a suck hole excuse, everything would be more streamlined if all parcel where registered. I think it is an excuse to allow parcels to go missing.

The site i go to for unclaimed goods - www.auctions.com.au - although the contracts come up for tender every so often and the auctioneers change so I keep an eye out for all of them.

WARNING!!!!! - auctions can be extremely addictive I do not hold myself responsible if you bid on so much stuff :D

TrevorW
05-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Agree all parcels should have a tracking number attached to them

Cheers

TrevorW
05-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Thats the problem lack of accountability, that "she'll be right mate" attitude should not be tolerated IMPO

often IMO as Aussies we don't complain enough and accept 2nd rate service

Cheers

Jules76
05-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Another thing regarding tracking, I've noticed that with Express Post satchels, handing it in at the Post Office vs placing it in an Express Post mailbox on the street gives you different results. If you hand it in at a Post Office, it's completely trackable online. If you use one of the specially marked yellow Express Post mailboxes, in most cases you'll get no tracking online whatsoever!

This has been my experience in the dozens of times I've used these satchels selling stuff on Ebay and used both methods to send.

So if your ever going to use Express Post to send items, do it at the Post Office! At least there they will scan in the parcel before dispatching it to the depot. The tracking system here in Australia is crap.

Jeremy Parker
05-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Just saw it in the news yesterday.....

Waxing_Gibbous
06-01-2012, 03:57 AM
I have had several parcels,both 'to' and 'from', go missing.
It turned out out local sub-contractors were playing merry with valuables.
It was only because a few commercial interests put up a stink that anything was done about it!

RickS
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
The US postal service is abysmal as well, so perhaps it doesn't make any difference if you do complain :shrug:

Kevnool
06-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Whats all the comotion about, Yes things go missing through theft and just plain lost but it is the only postal service we have here.

Come on the poor ole postie is just trying to do his job.

Cheer up

Kev.

deejayvee
06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately registered post is no help, other than to prove to the sender that the receiver did or didn't receive the parcel. If the parcel goes missing, registered post will not help you find it.

astronut
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I have had two parcels go missing in the last 6 months.:mad2:
One from Hong Kong, this was replaced by the retailer immediately.
The second was from The UK, this was a Christmas present, ordered at the end of November and promised delivery BEFORE Christmas.
It still has not arrived and the retailer has promised to replace it, but expected delivery is not until the end of January.
Should I blame Australia Post....maybe.....but there were many other hands on these parcels from retailer to my door.

PlanetMan
06-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Slight correction to a previous post concerning "registered" post.

If the item goes "missing" - ie the circumstance is clear that the loss occurs during the handling of the item by Aust Post - then you will automatically get the $100 insurance that is incumbent with registration. If for example, you send an item worth $1000 via registered post and exercise the good judgement to purchase the additional $900 worth of insurance ($1.30 per each additional $100 to the items value) and the item goes missing then you will get a reimbursement of $1000 from Australia Post as they lost the item and are at fault for this loss. In addition to loss this insurance also includes damage.

However, to be very clear - "loss" of an item by registered Aust Post (domestic only) which is not included in this circumstance is anything after the moment someone signs and collects the item on delivery. However, with registered post delivery does not occur until someone physically signs for the item and only then it is handed over.

Unfortunately, regular post is an entirely different story. Finally, the good and bad news. The good news is that I have used registered post for years and have never 'lost' a domestic registered item in all that time. Also, on one occassion an item was damaged by Aust Post and they readily agreed to compensate for it. Unfortunately, the bad news is my reimbursement took about 2 months to process - which was considered fast by them.

Finally, everything I have mentioned here only applies to domestic packages via Aust Post. When you send something via international registered post the handling goes into the destination address and unfortunately the accountability at that point is a different matter dependent on the postal service of the particular country.

[1ponders]
06-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Exactly right David. There is no tracking on Registered posts and they go missing just as often as un-Registered items. I've had 4 registered articles that I remember, go missing over the past 7 or 8 years (Astronomy related). The only difference between Registered and un-registered is that with Registered you MAY have a chance of getting reimbursed for the lost item, but be prepared for the red tape. :(

Shano592
06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
In November / December, we had 2 sets of parcels go horribly astray. Both were multi-carton orders, and both were going to Brisbane. Now somehow, a carton from each order ended up being delivered to different people in Melbourne!

These were eventually sorted out, by re-sending them with Toll Ipec.

Aside from this, we had 6 express satchels not arrive within their advertised timeframe - we made them re-imburse us for all of these, as per their agreement - and to date, one is still out there somewhere. And one of these took 3 business days, to be delivered 45 minutes down the road from where it was despatched! Unreal.

One thing we have discovered ... if you take an express satchel over the counter, make sure you ask the counter staff to scan it in while you wait, especially for the Christmas rush. We had things going Sydney to Perth that didn't scan in until they were onboard for delivery. Very unprofessional, for such a massive corporation.

Interesting what you say, Paul, about Registered Post. IME, we have found them to be trackable. We have a contract with AP, and our Registered Post parcels always get scanned in at the local DC. If we can't track one, we make them re-imburse us for the Registered label.

[1ponders]
06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Wish I knew someone at AP at times. :rolleyes:

I found this interesting. What items can be tracked
https://contactus.auspost.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/682
You can track a Registered item apparently but only if its one of the above items that has been registered.
https://contactus.auspost.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/419/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzI1ODE1MDM1L3NpZC9 3LVFfbHFOaw%3D%3D

And a bit of detail about Registered post in general.
http://auspost.com.au/business/registered-post.html

GrahamL
06-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I think AP really did away with registered post sometime in the 90's
they also culled certified post posibly around the same time and
just called the "New" service registered post , though it looks and sounds exactly like the old certified system a signatutre at each end and insurance if you want it .

Handling of registered mail was very differant to now , when an item was lodged and registered it was seperated from standard mail at all times , travelled in its own sealed bag, every time that bag was opened the contents were counted and checked against its dispatch note , and another was filled out and off it went all down the line .

One old fella at the large office I worked at got caught stealing in
my time there , he was quite senior and handled a lot of registered mail but he never touched that as you couldn't possibly walk off with
any of it without being caught out by, say change of shift , as someone would pick the error in the paperwork and backtrack straight to the last person in the chain.

I don't know what they do today , I'm thinking not a lot , but you and I still pay for that non existant premium service .

Most postal workers would by repitition know the contents of some of the mail they handle regularly, be it from the funeral home , the gold mining company, or to the dodgey catholic priest and his magazines no one could possibly know about.

Personally I always insure items of even moderate value , not because I think most workers in AP are dishonest, far from it , but it seems theres little barriers these days to stop those very few who are.

Bassnut
06-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I've sent 2 - 10 express bags a day all over OZ for some 10yrs, ltterally thousands. One or two only have gone astray, and the receiver was possibly to blame in those cases. A few have been lost for a while, but got there in the end (damaged bar code, moved etc). I consider express post as near perfect. I have sent 2 registered post items, one was large item that completely disappeared , the tracking was a joke. I now don't use registered post.

PCH
07-01-2012, 03:55 PM
So Fred, since you seem to be a reasonably regular user of the postal service, what particular service do you use if you want to be able to track an item. Does one stand out as being 'safe' to use? :thumbsup:

Kevnool
07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Well here is a change of tune from my earlier post.
As some of you may know I have been in Adelaide and only just arrived home about 2 hours ago.
I walked inside and there is a mail bag on my table as the sister in law has been watching the house and taking the letters inside.

I thought i have not purchased anything overseas for a while or even lost any thing but then i look at the label and sure enough its my address but the name is wrong and I dont know who he is.

The label says M BAG and it is from the USPS.
I wont open it but i know it is a book inside it.

Suppose i will keep it here till the owner knocks on the door.

Yep now I understand how this can happen.

Here is even a pic of the mailbag.

Cheers Kev.

Barrykgerdes
07-01-2012, 05:31 PM
I guess I am lucky. The only mail that never seems to arrive is those large cheques from Nigeria.

But like the previous post I do get quite a bit of mail in my box for other people. I try to identify the correct address and hand deliver it if it is in the neighbourhood or re-post it with the correct address printed in large block letters.

My local postie is very nice chap and always hands me the mail if he can see me but I doubt that his grasp of English is beyond first grade.

When I was going to school I did some XMAS work in the post office and knew all the postmen. These men knew by heart the names of everyone on their beat and did quite a bit of sorting amongst themselves before starting their rounds. I don't think that sort of work ethic is prevalent today.

Barry

Kevnool
25-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Well 3 weeks have passed with no courier bashing on my door so I had to see what it was and it is a 400 dollar book as I typed this into ebay ......... African horse sickness........ and there it was.

Now I have a book with no owner :shrug:

GrahamL
25-01-2012, 08:52 PM
But you do have a really handy resource if your pony comes down with an exotic disease in the near future:thumbsup: