PDA

View Full Version here: : Diagnosis required

[1ponders]
31-12-2011, 10:03 PM
I have an old Dell desktop (XP) that used to run my obs. It packed it in a while ago and I thought I'd have a look at it tonight. Basically when I turn it on nothing comes up on the monitor and the computer fan goes into turbo mode. And that's all I get.

Suggestions. Ideas. Opinions?

I'd love to get it working again if it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Octane
31-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Does it beep at all on startup?

Could be a bung graphics card.

H

[1ponders]
31-12-2011, 10:10 PM
nope, no beep, just the fan going turbo

RickS
31-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Could be a variety of things, unfortunately. You could try re-seating the memory. If you have multiple memory cards you could also trying running with each card individually. If that doesn't help you could check the motherboard for any socketed parts or cable headers and try re-seating them. While you're doing that, look for any damaged or burnt looking components, or any electrolytic capacitors that look deformed or leaky.

After that, I'd try poking around with a multimeter to check the power rails, but that's trickier unless they have been kind enough to label test points on the motherboard.

A real electronic techo could probably give you additional and better ideas. Where's wasyoungonce (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/member.php?u=1106)? He did a great debugging job on a Gemini unit for another IIS member recently! I'm sure he could give you sage advice.

Cheers,
Rick.

acropolite
01-01-2012, 12:52 AM
In my experience, the majority of problems with PC's suddenly not starting are caused by power supplies, might be an idea to check the voltages. Another thing to look for is capacitors on the motherboard with bulging tops, that usually indicates that they've dried out sometimes replacement of faulty caps will bring the Motherboard back to life.

michaellxv
01-01-2012, 01:51 AM
If you get nothing on the monitor that often indicates a dead graphics card. At the very least you should get the logo of the graphics card (may be brief so watch closely) before the PC even shows BIOS info.

Is there on board graphics you can connect to and try?

Re-seat everything you can even chips in sockets on the motherboard, pull out everything non essential.

[1ponders]
01-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys. Yep tried reseating the memory and checked for any leads or sockets i could see were loose. I don't think I'll get it repair, I just thought that if it was something simple (for me) I'd have a go at it

Tandum
01-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Paul, see if it has a speaker plugged in, the pins for the speaker are normally in the same group of pins that the power and reset switches plug in. The word 'speaker' may be screen printer on the motherboard. It's also possible the motherboard has a buzzer mounted on the board. They are a round black plastic device with a hole in the middle. If there is a speaker and it is working, then unplug all the ram and internal usb plugs and turn it on. If it does not beep at you it's most likely the motherboard is crook.

Barrykgerdes
01-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I have had a couple of lap tops exhibit the same sort of trouble caused by the batteries failing. Running from an external supply also fails because the battery floats and pulls the supply down to the point where nothing works and removing the battery also inhibits operation from an external supply.

Do what I did. Salvage the HDD and memory and ditch the rest. Then buy one of those cheap under $400 sale laptops. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Barry