PDA

View Full Version here: : Mini 50mm Guide Scope and ED80 advice needed

spacezebra
31-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi all

I currently have a regular finder attached to my ED80, and have in the past used a side by side set. Im moving away from that and have now purchased a miniGS.

I would like to piggy back the mini and the regular finder - but not sure how I can set this up. Would appreciate help/advice from anyone who has done this and can attach photos of the setup.

Thank in advance.

Cheers Petra d.

adman
31-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Petra,

Leave the original finder in its bracket then get some guidescope rings to attach to the top of your ED80's rings via a vixen rail and v adapters.

I'll try to find some pics...

adman
31-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Try this link

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=88880

I had a laser finder in the finder bracket, not the optical finder. The guide scope rings are losmandy ones with the vixen adapters. If you guidescope is short focal length you might get away with just plain rings, as there will be a star visible in most fields...

Adam

adman
31-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Have just realised that you have one of the mini-finders. The vixen rail/guide rings might be a bit of overkill. You might be able with a bit of tinkering, to add another finderscope bracket to the side opposite the optical finder....

Andrews sell extra brackets for $9.00

Or you could upgrade your focuser (http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CF) to a moonlite and I think they come with an option for finder brackets on both sides...!

Adam

jjjnettie
31-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I use one of these adaptors to secure my mini guider to my ED80. I get no flexure what so ever.

See, my scope can go at any angle and the guider won't move.

And have a look at Brian. I think he would agree that the adaptor is a good idea.

mishku
31-12-2011, 02:02 PM
One of those images is mediocre, two of them, however, are excellent. You're able to achieve some incredible detail there, Jeanette, very impressive indeed.

Also, after v close, v thorough inspection, I concur, Bwian's adaptor is exceptional. His adaptor is ALWAYS a good idea. :shrug:

renormalised
31-12-2011, 02:07 PM
What would "I wear brown all the time because I'm colour blind" Cox know about any of this???!!!!:):):P:P:P

He's just a "lacquer my hair to keep it in position" celebrity with a physics degree!!!:):):P:P:P:P

spacezebra
31-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks Adam & JJJ for the advice - my only concern is that it may get crowded up there - so the adapter looks to be the best option (I think we discussed this in FB JJJ - but I think we were talking about attaching a DSLR). So you dont find any issues with the adapter and the Dovetail Foot? Excellent.

Cool - I know what to do.

Thanks all - I am sure that Brian would agree.

Cheers all Petra d.

adman
31-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Pffft - how can I compete with Brian's adapter....

spacezebra
02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
JJJ - interested to see how you have attached the dovetail foot on the finder, did you need to do any mods?

Cheers Petra d.

jjjnettie
03-01-2012, 12:48 AM
The foot of the finder slips in just far enough to secure with the 2 screws.
I'm sure the purists wouldn't think it elegant, but it works for me. :)
I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Yes, that is where the DSLR rides piggy back. In that situation, I guide through the ed80 using a focal reducer.

spacezebra
03-01-2012, 10:23 PM
thanks JJJ - I look forward to the pic.

Cheers Petra d.

jjjnettie
04-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Here you go Petra. :)
:hi:

cventer
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I would have some concern over this adpator on top of those rings with just 1 1/4 inch bolt holding it all. despite the light guidescope that is going to flex.

You may get away with it at short focal lengths but go longer and you almost certainly will have issues.

I would attach a losmandy saddle plate on top of the scope between the guiderings and then use 2 guide scope rings to support the 50mm guide scope. this will allow you to slide the whole guide assembly back and forward as well to help balance the rig.

Her is a link to the rings you could use: http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories/Dovetails--Rings---Counterweights/Losmandy-DR90-Guide-Scope-Rings/617/productview.aspx

And the universal plate: http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories/Dovetails--Rings---Counterweights/Losmandy-D-Universal--br-Dovetail-Plate--DUP-/614/productview.aspx

You can also get a short universal plate. This system is rock solid and exactly what I use.

renormalised
04-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Now see, that 3rd piccie detracts completely from the overall discussion:):P

jjjnettie
04-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I've had no problems with flexure using this with the ed80. And that is the scope that Petra will be using.
There is no balance problems using such a wee guide scope, though if it was attached to a great whopping losmandy bar, I could see such trouble arising. :)
This set up allows you to get away with using just one counter weight too!!!

Note how the leads are secured neatly to the base so as not cause any drag on the on the back of the camera.