PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion GiantView Binoculars

jet486
30-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I have difficulty observing through my 20x80 Orion binoculars due to the lack of stability when using a camera tripod. The binoc's weight over 3.5kgs so the tripod really struggles to maintain a rigid platform. Is there a way where I can obtain structural stability without the need to continously adjusting the tripod to obtain stability when observing. Cheers

dannat
03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Jet what type of tripood do you have? I would say it sounds like you need a heavier duty tripod, & a fluid head, at 3.5 kg I ecommend you get something to handle 6kg.
Does your tripod have the spreaders which go from each leg back to the centre column, or are the legs independent of the centre/other legs? I have found the centre support much better for overall stability.

jet486
03-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your reply Daniel. The tripod that I'm using is a Velbon Sherpa 250R. I was informed by the camera sales assistant that this tripod can handle 4kgs. I problem I have is the quick release plate is not strong enough to maintain a secure fitting and and any movement of the binoculars causes the release plate to become loose. I've already sheared one securing screw of the release plate trying to lock the binoculars into place. I emailed Orion and they informed me that a "Orion Paragon-Plus XHD" tripod is the way to go. Any thoughts on this tripod? Cheers.

dannat
04-01-2012, 07:09 AM
The parson plus is ok, still has leg braces & a fluid head, you might also check William optics tr188 on there website, it has similar specs & ships cheaper.

I use this head Davis Sanford fluid head (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/336011-REG/Davis_Sanford_FM18_FM18_Fluid_Head. html) , it's rated for 8kg...& I have wooden surveyor tripod or carbon fibre legs...they do have a aching tripod though which will hold much more Davis Sanford tripod (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598807-REG/Davis_Sanford_ATPG_ATPG_All_Terrain _Pod.html)