PDA

View Full Version here: : Tasco SPL856 opinions?

vespine
14-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Trying to google something with the word "review" in it is quick becoming a pet peeve of mine! Pretty much all the hits you get back are a thousand shop sites inviting user's to review the product, obviously NONE of them actually have useful reviews if anything at all.

I'm specifically referring to these: Tasco 8x 56mm Giants - SPL856.

http://www.astronomyonline.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=52&ProductID=798&cid=301

What do people think? I have to admit, I actuall saw them on eBay for $200 and damn it, just couldn't help myself. :ashamed: Hopefully I won't regret it too much ;)

I really like the idea of 8x56, most people say 7x50 or 10x50 are a good starting point, well 10x50 seemed a little bit narrow for the objective size, but then 7x50 seemed a bit too "stock standard", so 8x56 seems like a nice little step up.

I mean really, for binocs that retail over $400 I shouldn't be too disappointed right? Unless I get a cheap knock off or something I guess which isn't impossible. Only thing I noticed is that they are listed as MC not FMC, that may mean they aren't quite as good as FMC but doesn't mean they are necessarily "crap" right"? I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance while I wait for shipping ;) Anyone actually had a look through a pair of these babies?

janoskiss
14-03-2006, 01:53 PM
better to ask questions before you commit to purchase. ;)
hope the binos will serve you well.
you can pick up the occasional bargain on ebay from honest private sellers, but as a general rule I steer clear of ebay dealers.

ausastronomer
14-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Agreed

Agreed.

They should be ok optically, I doubt they will be anything above the ordinary. Tasco are not a manufacturer only a distributor. Many years ago some Tasco Optical products were made by Vixen and Towa in Japan and are of very high quality. I am pretty sure all current Tasco products are manufactured in the far east and this has been the case for at least the last 6 years, probably a lot longer.

It's worth noting that these binoculars are listed on Tasco's International Website (http://www.tasco.com/binoculars/specialty_main.shtml) but not listed on Tasco's Australian Website (http://www.tasco.com.au/cache/header-82public__0-0.html?cache=no) which indicates they have been sourced from an Overseas Tasco distributor. This "may" present "local" Warranty issues in the future, if they were to develop a fault.

They are also reasonably heavy to hand hold and create a 7mm exit pupil which is too large IMO, unless you are young and/or have very dark skies. In addition the eye-relief is not stated, I would guess about 12mm, which is fine for non-eyeglass wearers.

$245 would have bought you these Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II binoculars (http://centre.net.au/index.html?cat=00065S0006650007KY&prid=0015NR&it=product) which I would think would be superior to those Tasco's in most aspects as an all round astronomy binocular.

CS-John B

vespine
14-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Damned eBayers preying on my 'too eager' vulnerabilities ;) I generally am quite cautious with ebay, the fact that I saw them on www.astronomyonline.com.au for the SALE price of $395 and most American sites have them for US $150 - $200 is what made me get a little too eager....

So what's the disadvantage of large exit pupil and is "almost 30" still considered young in that regard? ;) Had a quick look around and on the celestron site it says "Having a large exit pupil is advantageous under low light conditions and at night."

Well, anyway, I'll see soon enough ;) Really I was about this close ---> <--- to this post being about a telescope not a pair of binoculars so I have reigned my enthusiasm in some what :lol: I promise I'll ask questions FIRST next time..... promise....

johnno
14-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Hi,
I have to say,we are probably all guilty of impulsive buying,especially when we are very keen to get something that "looks",like a good bargain,
and I am just as guilty as anyone else.

But,once bitten we usually learn to curb our impulses.

I agree,with John,(Ausastronomer) The Pentax 10x50s would have been a much better buy,INMHO.

I notice these are Roof Prism Binoculars.

One of the problems with roof prism Binoculars,is they are USUALLY,not as bright or as SHARP,as a similar sized Porro Prism,unless you pay large Amounts of money IE > $1000.

I hope you have got a good set of Binoculars,and get many years of use from them.

Best Regards.
John

Starkler
14-03-2006, 11:46 PM
I bought a pair of 10x50 binos from ebay as the specs all looked good, but when I got them it was apparent they were the worst binos I have ever had the misfortune to look through.

IMO ebay is a clearance outlet for rubbish nobody would ever buy given the chance to actually inspect the item first. True bargains are few and far between, especially with opticals.

janoskiss
15-03-2006, 12:12 AM
And if Geoff's post hasn't depressed you enough...

Here is one place where you will find some very nice budget binos (plus good advice and great service too): www.aoe.com.au
I used to own the 7x50HG (till I left it behind after an all-nighter in the hills :(). The contrast and transmission was superb thanks to the excellent coatings. Hunted down quite a few of galaxies with that pair.

Here is another dealer with great bargain binos (but you need to know what you want): www.andrewscom.com.au

The Saxons you bought will probably need a tripod to be useful. I tried the 9x63 model which is the same sort of construction and it was awkward to hand-hold.