PDA

View Full Version here: : Take care Darwinites

traveller
22-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Just heard there is a tropical storm/cyclone building up in the top end.
Take care and pack up those scopes and hope you all have a great Xmas.
Bo

AstralTraveller
22-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes, take care. Talk of a Christmas cyclone in Darwin worries me so it must be very scary for those in the area. Let's hope it isn't too bad and everyone comes through OK.

supernova1965
22-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I have seen the outcome of the last Christmas cyclone when my dad took me to Darwin to rebuild. I was 9 and the house we were given while we were there had houses all around us flattened to the floor boards one house even had the stove still sitting there but everything else gone. And in darwin the powerpoles were made from big H beam iron and one was tied in a pretzel shape I think they put it as a memorial in front of the school I attended while there.:scared:

leon
22-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Gees, that dose not sound good, we have only recently left the Top End and come down to Ballarat for the Christmas break.

Now although I love a good storm, and heaps of lightning, a Cyclone may be just a bit much.

Hope everyone stays safe and well.

Leon

brian nordstrom
22-12-2011, 08:52 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Bo , and all , yes its brewing up really well , can see the weather paterns from over central Australia getting sucked towards the tropical low over us here towards the low , and the monsonal trough from the equator feeding from the north , I think it will be an exciting Christmas .
There will be no star gazing up here for a while :sadeyes:, Lots of lightning and thunder tho .
Brian.

brian nordstrom
22-12-2011, 08:56 PM
:thanx: Thanks Nova 1965 , they are terrifying , They just dont give up until its over ,:help:Ive been in 2 and thats enough , really scary .
Brian.

Stardrifter_WA
22-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Hey Brian :thumbsup:

Stardrifter_WA
22-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey Brian :thumbsup: Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a great 2012 :xmas:

Exfso
22-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I was in Katherine about 320km to the SE of Darwin when Tracy hit Darwin. Was in the Aviation game then, never been so busy in my life with the evacuation out of Darwin. I actually flew into Darwin on Boxing day with one of my pilot mates who was doing charters out of Katherine, what a mess the place was, it looked like a giant scrap heap. A lot of my current friends were there for Tracy and still live in Darwin. Mind you the houses were not built to any specific code prior to Tracy, it is no wonder they blew apart. Having said that, I saw the anemometer reading prior to it being destroyed and the wind was phenominal. I know on the met forecasts we were getting in Katherine prior to Darwin going off line, there were wind gusts of 180kts, yes that is knots not KM/hr..Lets hope this fella does not copy Tracy..

Mliss
23-12-2011, 03:14 AM
that must have been a harrowing site Peter. and no surprise you haven't forgotten. I assumed you were talking about TC Tracy, Warren...

We were living in Alice at the time. Moved to Darwin 6 mths later and there was still so much to be done. Like you Peter i still have many friends who went through it and most are still there.

The house we moved into in Rapid Creek was partially rebuilt by the army - so the story went.

We did go through one cyclone while we were there, Cyclone Max... it was nothing in comparison, but i'll still never forget the noise.

My sister and her family are up there now and hoping to fly out on the 27th. Here's hoping this tropical low changes it's mind!!

Groboz
24-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Sorry Darwin folk.... it's my fault; I just bought a new set of astro binoculars :sadeyes:

Kevnool
24-12-2011, 02:25 PM
At least you can look into the eye of the storm now.

Cheers

dj gravelrash
24-12-2011, 09:43 PM
lol very good kev:lol:

Mick
26-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Maybe Grant is not finished and is going to run a muck in FNQ. :shrug:

Image from http://www.usno.navy.mil/JTWC/

brian nordstrom
27-12-2011, 02:37 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Peter and same to you :eyepop:mate, any word on you late Present? from Meade? :shrug:
Brian.

supernova1965
27-12-2011, 02:41 PM
I hope not :windy: