PDA

View Full Version here: : Vitamin F - for friends

GeoffW1
21-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi,

I thought this was quite charming:

"
Vitamin F

Why do I have a variety of friends who are all so different in character? How do I get along with them all?

I think that each one helps to bring out a "different" part of me.

With one of them I am polite.
I joke with another friend.
I sit down and talk about serious matters with one.
With another I laugh a lot.
I listen to one friend's problems.
Then I listen to another one's advice for me.

My friends are all like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. When completed, they form a treasure box. A treasure of friends!

They are my friends who understand me better than myself, who support me through good days and bad days. Doctors tell us that friends are good for our health.

Dr. Oz calls them Vitamin F (for Friends) and counts the benefits of friends as essential to our well being. Research shows that people in strong social circles have less risk of depression and terminal strokes.

If you enjoy Vitamin F constantly you can be up to 30 years younger than your real age. The warmth of friendship stops stress and even in your most intense moments it decreases the chance of a cardiac arrest or stroke by 50%.

I'm so happy that I have a stock of Vitamins F!

Thank you for being one of my Vitamins! "

Cheers and a Happy Xmas season to you all :hi:

lacad01
21-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Nice one Geoff :thumbsup:, same to you :)

Baddad
21-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Geoff,
I am a great beleiver in much of what you said. To laugh with friends is good for your health.

You and everyone have a safe and enjoyable Christmas.

Cheers

mishku
21-12-2011, 06:50 PM
For those who are reeeeeaaaaaally interested in the proof positive that having great mates is good for your health, I refer you on to the Social Determinants of Health, as discussed by the World Health Organisation.

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/98438/e81384.pdf

This is a subject I love, and could bang on about for hours - and this document essentially became my "bible" when I was studying. There is incredible literature (please do PM if you are so inclined, and I can try to dig you out some copies) which demonstrates the protective effect that having a few strong relationships, and a sense of social inclusion provides for general health. My area of interest is ageing well, and there are articles in the peer reviewed Public Health literature which show that in folks who have a myocardial infarction or ischaemic attack (heart attack or stroke), morbidity is much higher for those who don't have a network of friends to support them. In other words, those who didn't actively participate in a community fared worse. Those who had someone to give them a little support and a kind word fared much better.

Nicely spotted, Geoff, and for the good of my health, very glad to call you a mate http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/../vbiis/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

jjjnettie
21-12-2011, 08:17 PM
:) It's a wonderful sentiment Geoff.
All the very best wishes to you too.