PDA

View Full Version here: : Merry Christmas and Please be Safe on the Roads

sheeny
21-12-2011, 07:06 AM
As some of you may be aware, for 20 or so years I was involved in rescue, vertical rescue and land search was my thing but I also did road crash rescue. JohnG is also an ex-rescuer and I'm sure he would echo my wishes that everyone on IIS stays safe on the roads this year (and every year;)).

I had a particularly close encounter yesterday. Lyn and the girls set off yesterday to drive up to Qld for Christmas with the rellies. I had to work so didn't go.

They deviated a bit out of the way I would go to visit a friend in Mudgee, then at Merriwa followed a sign to Tamworth which put them on the Merriwa to Murrarundi Rd which has a significant amount of gravel. In the tristy gravel section they encountered some large machinery being moved along the road, and after enountering one on a blind corner, Lyn entered another corner wider than usual to improve visibility round the corner.

This unfortunately put her outside wheels in the marbles.

After a brief struggle to regain control of the car and avoid the deep, steep on one side, the car nosed into the embankment - not very hard at all - and they were all relieved the experience was over.

But it wasn't. The car had just enough momentum to roll slowly onto its side. Again they thought it had stopped, but it decided to play dead properly and rolled onto its roof. Fortunately, that's where it stopped.

All got out uninjured, which is the best bit!:)

The girls got photos of where 1 skid mark goes off the edge of the road and comes back on. They were very lucky!

The car (Subaru Forrester) unfortunately won't be so lucky I feel. The only straight panels on it were the front grill and tailgate. The driver's side roof crushed down to a straight line from top of B pillar to shoulder of the A. It was a good little car!:sadeyes:

I left work early yesterday and drove up to Murrarundi to pick them all up (and all the Chrissie Presents:thumbsup:) and bring them home. We got home about 11:30 last night.

So please take it easy on the roads and stay safe.

Al.

leon
21-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Al, that must have been scary, :eyepop: glad to hear that all are OK, yes, it only takes a second and it can be all over.

As you, I wish all a very safe and happy Christmas, and hope all will come out the other side healthy, safe and happy next year, :thumbsup:

Leon :thumbsup:

shelltree
21-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Wow, Al, really glad to hear your family are okay, that is the most important thing! I bet you were very relieved!

And I agree, the roads this time of year are shocking. People are tired, busy, stressed and "running late". It takes one mistake, just one. So let's all be careful on the roads, don't rush and have a safe and merry Christmas :)

Ric
21-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Glad to hear that everyone is ok Al.

As a member of the NSW Rural Fire Brigade, I also attend MVA's and echo Al's sentiments.

This is our busy period for all the wrong reasons so stay safe everyone.

Cheers

Kevnool
23-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I,m glad your all back home and safe now Al, Must of been a lot of thoughts going through your mind on the way to pick the family up

I am on call out here as well with traffic management in Sydney.

Remember everybody Double Demerit points these holidays.......Stay safe.

mozzie
23-12-2011, 04:00 PM
yes al..glad too here the family is all alright a lucky escape.!!!!!!!!

the pacific highway at the moment is mayham bumper to bumper through the roadworks here at coffs harbour to woopi.!!!iv'e just rang the misses to let her know that its heavy and to take her time coming home......it's the silly season again....

Suzy
23-12-2011, 04:51 PM
So glad everyone is safe, Al.

Happy Christmas Al & everyone and please be careful. :prey:

astroron
23-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Wow Al that is so Scarey:eyepop:
I am glad all are safe and well :)
As others have said please everyone stay safe on the roads :prey::prey:
Cheers and have a safe and Happy Christmas:thumbsup:

supernova1965
23-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Glad that the important family are ok AL good to hear:thumbsup:

dj gravelrash
24-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Wow thank god everyones A ok.

Yeppers peoples drive carefully and do yourself a favour for a laugh stop @ a driver reviver and taste probably the worst coffee you will ever encounter lol.

Check your tyre pressures and for good lords sake SHOULDER CHECK BEFORE YOU CHANGE LANES.

Will get off my soapbox now.....:screwy:

JohnG
24-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I can only echo Al's comments, it is not only the victims that are traumatised by some of these senseless accidents, think of those that have to attend, I can assure you that it is not very pleasant.

Glad everyone is OK, Al.

Cheers

gary
24-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi Al,

Relieved to hear they are OK.

It took many years for the Binnaway Road not far from there to be sealed and
it was also treacherous where unexpectantly one could encounter large build-ups of
gravel or sandy soil. It sounds as if the Merriwa-Murrarundi Road between Murrarundi
and Willow Tree could do with sealing as it is undoubtedly a popular
shortcut.

All the best for the New Year.