PDA

View Full Version here: : Completing Form B710 -Importation of Laser Pointer

Merlin66
14-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Has anyone experience of completing the Customs form B710 - Importing Dangerous Weapons??

The Specified Person Test requirement also calls up:

1. A certified copy of a licence or authorisation that demonstrates
the importer is authorised to possess the goods for the
importer’s intended use in accordance with the law of the State
or Territory in which the goods are to be used.
2. A statutory declaration stating the goods are required for a
legitimate purpose (such as astronomy, research, etc) and will
only be used for this purpose, and the goods will be secured
appropriately while in Australia.
3. Evidence of occupation, such as a letter of appointment and
relevant licences.

I'll probably bring back to Victoria, late next year, a couple of lasers I use for the spectroscopy build...
I'm a long time member of the ASV.
Any comments?

Stardrifter_WA
14-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I am not sure about the B710 form, however, I imported an Arctic Fox laser using the customs form B709B, so am not sure if the 710 is an upgraded form.

When I completed the B709B form it was faxed to the police who signed it and sent it back to me, as the authorisation to use the laser here. All that I had to do then was to produce this form to customs to show that I had police authorisation.

Cheers Peter

Waxing_Gibbous
15-12-2011, 02:22 AM
My experience mirror's Peter's, though I can't remember which form I filled out.
I had no difficulty as it was demonstrably for an Astronomical outreach program I did last year.
As a member of the ASV and a responsible adult the police are unlikely to think you will be trying to bring down aeroplanes.
Worth contacting them a few weeks befor-hand in case the rules change.

Merlin66
15-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Hmmm
There's nothing about police clearance/ approval in the Form B710, just documentation to Customs....
I'll drop them an email.....

Stardrifter_WA
15-12-2011, 10:29 AM
:hi: I am not sure what form you filled out then.The B709B that I filled out had to be signed by the police, as they are the body that has to approve the legaliy of ownership. As it is a firearms importation permit, it actually isn't up to Customs to decide whether or not you are allowed to own it, but the Police, so I am surprised by your comments. :)

Stardrifter_WA
15-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Further to my earlier reply, I have just found the B709B form and the title of this form is "Importation of Weapons - Police Clearance".

There may be some confusion relating to forms, as a Green Light Laser (GLL) is classed as a "prohibited weapon" in Western Australia and to import it, you MUST have authorisation from the police prior to importation. This form is related to goods listed in Schedule 2 and 3 of the Customs (Prohibit imports) Regulations, under which this item falls.

Merlin, you may be right about the form 710, if the GLL is not a prohibitive weapon in your state or it is classified differently to that of Western Australia. If it is imported into WA without a completed B709B form, the item will be confiscated by Customs.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

BUT, to let you also know that I subsequently found a supplier of these in WESTERN AUSTRALIA, from which I bought a second unit about a year ago.

I have uploaded a photo of this item, attached to my Orion 80ED. As this is a weapon sight it is attached via a rail (also purchased from a gun shops). The advantage of this particular unit is its easy alignment adjustment, which is the same as used in a normal telescopic sight.

So, to save you the Customs hassle, I checked with Gun Mart and they still stock this item. They have the Arctic Fox 40mW Green Light Laser weapon sight and the cost is $299. It comes with both a button and remote pressure switch. I use the pressure switch which you see stuck to the side of the telescope. You will also require a 3/8" rail, for fitting to a flat surface, which will cost about $40the mounting It is a lovely bright GLL. Details are as follows:

Gun Mart
170 Great Eastern Highway
Midland WA

Ph: 08 9274 5699

Ask for Bill, as he knows all about these items.

Cheers Peter :)

Merlin66
15-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Peter,
Thanks for that.
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp
(read down to the end section)
This just shows Customs being invollved??

Stardrifter_WA
15-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes, I know what it shows Merlin.

But, I only found out about the B709B form AFTER I had spoken to the police, to find out if I could use it in WA. In Western Australia, the police HAVE to give permission. I do not know what is required in other states. although I suspect the same authorisation probably applies.

I do know people who have had them seized at the border for not have the proper paperwork. As usual, it is all just too complicated.

To be sure, I would check with your state Police Firearms branch.

Cheers Peter

Merlin66
15-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Peter,
OK point made! I'll check with the local Victorian Police.....

Stardrifter_WA
15-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey Merlin, wasn't trying to make a point, after all, it isn't my money, so it don't bother me none :D Just trying to save you some grief, as I have known a few who have been caught. Customs are funny like that...,.NOT!

Keep lookin' up.

Merlin66
22-12-2011, 12:01 PM
OK, just an update...
Contacted the local Police...they had no idea!
After checking with Melbourne they advised that it WAS necessary to have a Police Permit to have and use a Laser pointer in the State of Victoria....
Form B709B must be completed prior to arrival in Oz.
( I asked about the Customs forms...they said "well, they never talk to us either")

Stardrifter_WA
22-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Glad to hear you sorted it out...Customs can be a pain, at times, well most of the time really :D Depending on who you talk to, you can get different answers as everyone appears to interpret the rules differently :sadeyes:

mithrandir
22-12-2011, 08:17 PM
After a bit of reading through the Customs site and PDFs:

The B710 "IMPORTING WEAPONS - SPECIFIED PERSON" flier is the only one that mentions laser pointers and says:

A certified copy of a licence or authorisation that demonstrates the importer is authorised to possess the goods for the importer’s intended use in accordance with the law of the State or Territory in which the goods are to be used.

and that astronomy is a legitimate purpose.

The B709B "IMPORTING WEAPONS - POLICE CERTIFICATION TEST" flier has:

WHAT GOODS CAN BE IMPORTED UNDER THE POLICE CERTIFICATION TEST?
• Daggers
• Blowpipes and darts
• Nunchakus
• Crossbows and parts
• Slingshots and parts
• Star knives
• Throwing knives, blades and spikes.

Nothing about laser pointers. It says the rules as to whether you need this clearance may vary from state to state, and you have to **apply** for a B709B.

You appear to be able to import and possess a pointer in one state but not be permitted to take it across the border to a use it for a legitimate purpose in another.

Left hand - right hand.

Stardrifter_WA
22-12-2011, 08:57 PM
My understanding is that you can use it in other states if you have a legitimate use, for which astronomy is. As far as I know it is only classed as a "controlled weapon" which means you are allowed to use it for specified uses. The only exception that I am aware of is possibly NSW where I believe it is actually banned. Although I ain't worried about that as I am unlikely to take my scope to NSW any time soon :D

Stardrifter_WA
22-12-2011, 09:08 PM
And, I had no problems getting a B709B signed anyway. Since then I have found a supplier in WA, as previously mentioned, where I can legally purchase a green light laser, without the need for a B709B, as this is for "import only". Nor do I need any other permit. Only the importer does.

In WA it is listed as a "controlled weapon" and not a banned weapon, so there is only a requirement that it is used for legitimate uses. As far as I know, the only legitimate use for general public is for astronomy and as a weapon sight, for those with a rifle licence.

In WA, if you are caught carrying this item without legitimate use, it is a $5,000 fine. That is, if it ain't with astro gear or attached to a legally owned firearm, you are then in deep doo doo! :D

The law is designed to allow legitimate use and to stop the "brainless" idiots who want to shine it at aircraft and the like.

Stardrifter_WA
22-12-2011, 09:11 PM
One other thing, and this may be where you get the idea that it can't be used in other states, is that if it is attached to a firearm, it cannot be taken out of the state that issued the firearms licence, unless you apply to the state in which you intend to take your firearm.

mithrandir
22-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Members of recognised astronomical organisations are exempt from requiring a license in NSW while using lasers for the purpose of astronomy. See the NSW police Q&A (http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/structure/operations_command/firearms/laser_pointers/laser_pointers_-_questions_and_answers) which has a link to the current list of approved organisations.

Stardrifter_WA
22-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for that info. I actually thought that they had banned it in NSW, but I note the restriction that you have to be a member of a club. That doesn't apply in WA, which is just as well, as I am not a member.

But it does surprise me considering that WA have always had the toughest gun laws in Australia, but they are being fairly reasonable about the GLL, thankfully. :)

Cheers Peter