PDA

View Full Version here: : Gemini 1 Cables.

netwolf
14-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi All,

Where can one get the Gemini 1 DIN to DIN motor Cables only? The ones from Losmandy seem to be a little small, is there a standard of the shelf cable you can buy as an alternative?

Regards
Fahim

Poita
14-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Do you mean these cables
http://www.losmandy.com/hi-rez-images/GMCDEC.jpg
Hit your existing ones with the meter and see if they are straight-through, if so then longer ones are readily available.

netwolf
14-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Peter, I dont have the cables need to get them. At present i am using Sitech system for my G11 and going to switch to Gemini from someone who has upgraded to Gemini2. But no cables. I think straight through should work, but i am not sure. The Losamandy diagram has only one diagram which i assume is the same for both Motor and controller if so a straight through should work.

Also anyone reccomend a 12v power supply that will handle the Gemini? My Jumpstart battery has kicked it in I think. Its not holding a charge anymore. Can still probably use it as a pass through, ie plug it to mains then power from the 12v outlet. Is 12v enough fro Gemini? How much current does it need?

Regards
Fahim

Barrykgerdes
14-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Fahim
Trevor uses a 12v 5A power supply I built 12 years ago to run everything (transformer type). G11/Gemini1, Telescope and camera.

I got a nice one from Jaycar 12/13.8V 7A for about $100, Not the cheaper switch mode ones.

Barry

Visionoz
15-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Fahim

What? You've given up on the SiTech already? Mine's working a treat now after a few issues (noob's disease!) were sorted out and I'm experimenting with PointXP and plate-solving this festive holdiays - the thing points accurately with just the single Offset Init for me on the same side of the meridian and when I switch over to the other side I just do one Offset Init again and good to go:thumbsup:

Cheers
Bill

mithrandir
15-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Fahim if you mean the Gemini to motor cables they are straight through - not numbered but if they were it would be 1 to 1, 2 to 2, ... 6 to 6

Poita
15-12-2011, 08:39 PM
An Xbox 360 puts out 16.5amps at 12v and are a great, cheap compact supply. Send me you address and I'll shoot you one. I checked out a cable today, they are straight through, so easy to make up a set, just make them heavy duty enough to take the current.

netwolf
16-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Bill just experimenting, never used the Gemini myself, so want to give it a go. My mate Peter had the Gemini1 but he got rid of it and went back to Digital Drive, as i recall it was a little hard to use. But I like the idea of a standalone system for quick setups.
And I am considering upgrading the Sitech controller to the new edition, but I will wait till the Gemini2 is fully operational before i decide on that. I am still keen to see what Gemini2 will deliver when finished. I am hopping they might incorporate an algorithm to use a Hi res encoder on the RA like the Sitech does. Similar to the TDM unit. My mate Peter is also waiting to see how G2 will turn out before he gets a Goto system again for his G11, he is leaning more to the Sitech2 right now.

But I am glad to hear your setup is working well for you. Sitech is getting more popular, there are a few Aussies now using it.

Peter, thank you for the offer, I too have an Xbox360. I had not realised it was the same power pack. I might take you up on this. I am going to try my Jumpstart battery pack first, with power from the mains.
I have amassed some gear that I have not used yet and I need to really set it all up and see what my power needs will be.

Just wanted to get an idea what people were using for Power.

Barry, thanks for the Jaycar supply idea sounds like a good one. I also saw your post in another thread about the petrol generator, can you give some more information on your Gennie? what brand, cost etc. BTW the new Stellarium looks great and now I have a laptop with Nvidia no more OpenGL problems. Have you got Stellarium talking with the Gemini1?

Andrew, thanks for confirming that, I will grab some from Jaycar. I am hopping the Unit will arrive tomorrow and maybe some clear weather in Sydney soon, today was quiet good hope it stays that way.

Regards
Fahim

Barrykgerdes
16-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Fahim

The gene is just one of those $600 chinese Honda type clones that Trevor bought from the internet (2.5 KVA). It has been very reliable for use in the house at Wiruna and gets run almost continuously for two days once a month. It gets an oil change every month and general check over and has now been in operation for about 2 years. I like its remote electric start. It is located in a sound proof box as well and can't be heard more than 20metres away so that is where it sits with a 25metre cable connecting to the house where it suppliments the battery bank.

Trevor is now the expert on the Gemini 1 and has learnt to use the program effecively and can have the G11 set up and aligned in about 10 minutes. It interfaces with Stellarium and a program I wrote as well. Trevor uses PHD for polar alignment.

Stellarium is now in the 0.11.2 stage but there has been little change to the basics since 0.11.1. mainly bug fixes and language updates. I think you can get a current daily build from "launchpad" but I also build daily in Windows and Linux.

Barry

netwolf
17-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Went down to Jaycar, but could not find any 6pin Din cables. They only seem to have 5pin ones (for Midi devices) and for 6pin only have the Sockets so you can make your own. But then they dont have any cable with 6pairs to use with this. For the Sitech i used telphone cable but I am not sure that is a good idea.

Where can you buy ready made 6pin DIN cables?

I had a look at the 13.6v regulated supplies, the black ones mentioned here seem to be pretty light weight so i am guessing they are SMPS.
http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3078&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=999#12

The other one is a more expensive Lab supply white in color. The white ones are quiet a bit heavier with a large heatsink on the back. Not sure if this is a SMP or a Transformer based one, from the weight I guess could be transformer.
http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3098&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=999#12

The concern with either one is will the be safe to use outside? Where potentially due might get in, as such would they then be safe to use inside a plastic tool box of some sort.

Barrykgerdes
18-12-2011, 08:49 AM
The second type (white) is the one I refered to I have two of them and use them outdoors without problems. Even in the rain! I would expect by the weight they are transformers but I have not checked inside.

Barry

wasyoungonce
18-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I just use an old computer power supply (http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm). Removed all the wires and put in a switch, fuse line and connector. Also added an LC filter to the 12V DC output line and away she goes.

Computer PSU's can put out Mucho amps at 12V and have good built in self protection. My Ghetto PSU!

Brendan

mithrandir
18-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Fahim, when all else fails one of the Losmandy suppliers can get you the cables. I saw them quoted for $US30 + freight from Losmandy.

Keith Myers gets mentions in the Y! Gemini group for making cables to order. He also does ones with right angle plugs which might suit some people better.

It doesn't seem simple to get good quality 6 pin plugs for motor cables or 4 pin plugs for power.

I would think 6 wire phone cable would have too much voltage drop.

I take my MP3098 20A lab supply outside when I'm at home. It gets warm enough to stop dew forming on it.

netwolf
21-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Is there any reason why not to use a Laptop power supply? I have one that is 18.5V 6.5A. Any good reason why this can not be used?

Barrykgerdes
22-12-2011, 07:18 AM
It may work but it is designed to float across a rechargable battery without over charging so I would expect the regulation to be quite poor.

A properly designed lab type power supply will be the cheapest and most reliable in the long run.

barry

netwolf
22-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Barry, thank yes im also uncertain of the regulation quality.

My friend thought he had the right cables but they were midi cables not enough pins. But got on the phone to Bintel yesterday afternoon and got the standard losmandy cables at my door this morning. Thanks Mick from Bintel. Also the chap i got the gemini from Joseph aka rosebud sent me the cigarete lighter to losmndy power cable. So im all set to go, just need to grab a jaycar powerpack. There is one mp3800 that can do up to 24v looks good.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3800
I have read 15 is the sweat spot for gemini motors.
Just wish i could find something cheaper at this voltage 15V with about 5A.
Anyone using this one?

Peter how wel regulated is the xbox supply.