PDA

View Full Version here: : Gemini 2 power supply

E_ri_k
14-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey guys. Just set up my new gemini 2 upgrade my on G11 Mount, just have a question regarding the power requirements.

When slewing at 800 speed on the DEC axis, I get "Error DEC Stall" on the hand control. I googled it and found that it is most likely due to inadequate power. I dropped the slew speed down to 200 and it works a lot better, but I still get the error when the motor is trying to raise the back of the scope from a low position, and it doesn't move smoothly, it jitters a bit and makes a noise like it is struggling.. It works fine when when the heavy end of the scope is going towards the ground.

I'm running 12V 10A. Do you guys think I should up it to 18V?
The DEC motor gets quite warm as well.

Thanks, Erik

scagman
14-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi Erik,

I have a GemII on a G11 and havn't had any probs slewing yet. I currantly only have a 12v 2a plug pack from JayCar at the moment but have ordered one of these Powerwerx 30 Amp Desktop Switching Power Supply with Powerpoles (http://www.powerwerx.com/power-supplies/powerwerx-30-amp-desktop-switching-power-supply-powerpoles.html)

Has 3 outputs so can run other things at the same time.

I havn't had much paly time with the mount yet and it doesn't have much weight on it yet but have had it slewing aroung playing.

multiweb
14-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Run it at 16V and you won't have any motor stalls.

mill
14-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Erik, before you get another power supply, check your worm clearance first.
If the motor gets too warm it means that something is stuck or too tight.
The motor has to ramp up and make a even noise till it ramps down, anything else and you have a tight spot.
Take the motor off and turn the dec by hand and see if you have tight spots, do this for the whole travel in dec.

Martin.

CDKPhil
14-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi Eric
What Marc said, 16v

I was going to buy a Titan mount with the gemini 2 before I decided to buy the PMX. From what I was told the motors ran a lot better with upwards of 15v.
You might want to ask the question on the gemini 2 forum.

Cheers
Phil

E_ri_k
15-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I swapped the motors over this morning to check them, still got the error. I adjusted the worm play on the DEC and it slews fine now!

mill
15-12-2011, 11:11 AM
I am happy it is solved Erik :)