PDA

View Full Version here: : William Optics FLT110 / HEQ5 for astrophotography

Mark_Heli
13-12-2011, 10:49 PM
After using an Alt/Az mounted Meade LX90 for the past ~12 months, I have been considering taking the plunge and getting a more dedicated astrophotography setup.

One of the options which I have been looking at is the William Optics FLT110 f/7 refractor on an HEQ5Pro mount with a Orion mini autoguider package. I would keep using my existing DLSR camera.

The WO scope seems to be good quality and this setup would complement the lx90 which I would keep using for visual observing and planetary photography.

The three questions which I have are:
1. Is this setup a good option for astrophotography - are there any obvious limitations?
2. What are peoples experience with the WO telescopes?
3. Is it worthwhile to invest in astrophotography equipment for use in the suburbs of Sydney?

Thanks,
Mark

gregbradley
13-12-2011, 11:16 PM
TEC used to make the lenses for the WO110/F7 I am pretty sure. At some point though WO swtiched to someone else.

I wonder if those TEC versions are better. If TEC's usual standards were applied and I don't think Yuri does anything by halves they were probably fabulous lenses.

Perhaps check if there are reviews on these. An older version with that lens may be the one to have.

Greg.

jjjnettie
13-12-2011, 11:21 PM
The HEQ5 will handle that weight no problems at all, with kilos spare before reaching it's limit. You should only have to use one counter weight too which is an added bonus in any ones books.
My rig is very similar, and am very happy with the images I've produced with it.

naskies
20-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the shameless self-plug, but I'm currently trying to sell a FLT132 + P-FLAT68 in the Classifieds forum for almost the same price as a FLT110 + P-FLAT68 at Andrews. I have an EQ6 + Orion Awesome Autoguider available too... contact me via PM if you're interested.

As for your questions -

#1 I've seen some really amazing work with the FLT110 here on the boards. For example, just search for site:iceinspace.com.au flt110 -classifieds on Google.

#3 - I'm in the outer suburbs of Brisbane, next to a couple of freeways. I struggle to get decent subs because of the light pollution - the light pollution severely limits my exposures to around 45-60 secs on the same camera settings that others can exposure for around 5-20 mins at dark sites. Most people living in heavy light pollution seem to travel out to dark sites for "real" LRGB imaging... might be worth thinking about whether you'd be willing to spend $$$ on narrowband imaging and/or regularly travel out to dark sites.

soundworthy
18-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I have a similar rig, Heq5Pro, Flt110 light, EOS450d & an 80mm guide scope.
The Mount has always been kgs short of maxing out when fully loaded.

I added the Orion side by side saddle (narrow) for ease of just using the FLT alone and to also reduce the amount of counterweight needed.
With the saddle (1.7Kg) added I now find that I'm just grams short of maxing out,
is there something i don't know?