PDA

View Full Version here: : How do you run Robofocus in Wins 7?

gregbradley
04-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I am finding I cannot get CCDsoft to connect with Robofocus using a usb to serial adapter and a Prolific 64 bit driver.

Is anyone else using a Robofocus in CCDsoft and what usb to serial driver are you using?

Reading the net it seems these usb to serial drivers are problematic.

Greg.

DavidTrap
04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Keyspan usb-serial converters are working fine for me in Win7 64 bit. I use FocusMax and maxim for autofocus.

I found some Keyspan converters on eBay out of the states for ~$40 a while ago - better than $70-80 here.

DT

TheDecepticon
04-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi Greg.

I guess you have updated the drivers for your USB to Serial adapter? I run Robo in Win7 using this driver,
RoboFocus Control Program (5.2.0a)

available from the ASCOM site. Install for one focuser if you only have one.

Not much more to say, maybe others have some more for you.

Cheers.

gregbradley
04-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'll try that out.

Gee maintaining a workable system seems to be a continual task!

Greg.

bert
04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I gotta ask the question. Why do you want to connect the robofocus to ccdsoft? Connecting anything to ccdsoft that hasn't got a native sb driver is pita. I use both ccdsoft and robofocus but i never have had to connect them together.

Don't you use focusmax?

Btw I use a USB to 4x serial by aten in both observatories. It's been very reliable.

gregbradley
05-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I think the problem is the drivers for the usb to serial. I loaded a Prolific 64 bit one but that is not working. I'll have to see what else is on the net.

Brett I have used Robofocus with CCDsoft for a long time and it works fine usually. I am not sure what changed. Same computer I ran it on last time I think.Its 64 bit though. USB to serial is another one of these fussy items that are not 100% reliable like USB hubs. This is why I use Windows XP on my home observatory - everything seems easier although Wins 7 hasn't been too bad.

I have to try out FocusMax. I did try it with the CDK but the install failed and it seemed like a long debug situation.

Perhaps its easier to use with other setups. Its not that usefriendly with the CDK focuser.

Focusing is not that hard in the first place so adding yet another thing that can fail and need debugging is something I would add to a reliable and stable system.

You can easily spend 1/2 your time mucking around making things work in this pursuit rather than productive imaging time. Simpler sometimes is way more productive.

Having said that sometimes focus max autofocus in your imaging routine could be good. Most of my scopes though have pretty stable focus especially the CDK. It does not seem to change throughout the night.
Refractors maybe a little bit. Mostly though if focus is exact at 10-11pm it will not get much cooler and change much through to dawn. If focusmax failed during the night it would be very annoying given how few clear nights there are.

Greg.

Logieberra
26-02-2013, 01:26 AM
Gregg and Brett, this post dates back to 2011. Are you still both using Robofocus. Having a hell of a time here setting it up, with the simplest things made complicated! For example, initial travel calibration ain't working and I was getting 'chattering' in the motor with varous settings - though I seem to have found a sweet spot now. Sure hope things get easier with this setup... LT.

alocky
26-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Interesting that you have this issue. I have used the robofocus under win7 with no problems for at least 6 months, then last Saturday I could not get it to run, and I got the same chattering problem when I tried to calibrate the draw tube length.
I eventually got the software running by reinstalling it and selecting compatibility mode via the right mouse button.
I wonder if one of the numerous OS updates has messed something up?
The chattering has me stumped though - never used to do that, and the motor works fine when I run it in with the buttons.
Cheers,
Andrew.

DavidNg
27-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Hi,

I also have problem connecting Robofocus to CCDSoft started in the latest CCDSoft updates (Windows XP) a few weeks back.

Googled search found similar problems after updating CCDSoft which someone has suggested minor changes in Windows Registry.

In my case I just reinstalled early CCDSoft version and things worked smoothly again.

Copied and pasted below.

For those of you who have the SBIG CCD cameras and also have CCD Soft as your imaging program along with your favorite motorized focuser, you most likely have connected the focuser drivers using the pull-down menu from the Setup tab in CCD Soft without any problems. But if you happen to be one of the lucky ones that have the very nice RoboFocus focuser, you no doubt have had issues with error messages occurring with trying to connect the focuser through CCD Soft even though there is a selection for this focuser in the pull-down menu.

After much researching and looking at Software Bisque’s website blogs, I see that Matthew Bisque has already addressed this with a work-around. The problem is the Windows programs and how it actually connects various dynamic link libraries (.dll’s) in its registry. Unfortunately users like me run into some frustrations trying to get something to work properly when you encounter these wonderful little error dialog boxes!

Now we all know how we don’t like tampering around with the windows registry. I found a quick and dirty way to make windows connect to the right .dll file.
First of all it is imperative to visit “ascom-standards.org” and on that web page, download the latest drivers into your computer.
To Connect Robofocus to CCD Soft:

Go to Start, click Search, All Files & Folders
Type in libfli.dll and click search. It may well take a little time but invariably the results will be multiple versions of this file.

If you have one that comes up in the C:Program Files Common FilesSystem
If it’s older than the one that’s in the ASCOM database (2/13/2005) or later, rename it as libfliOLD.dll. (You can see the date on the search machine screen all the way to the right.)

Copy “the libfli.dll” from the ASCOM database which is located in:
C:Program Files Common FilesASCOMFocuser into the
C:Program Files Common FilesSystem.

Now open up CCD Soft. Go to the Camera Setup, Choose RoboFocus and click the settings to point to the COM Port that you have RoboFocus set up in. Click ok.

http://www.cloudynights.com/images/Connect-Robofocus-to-CCD-Soft_html_m4899ad8.pnghttp://www.cloudynights.com/images/Connect-Robofocus-to-CCD-Soft_html_67a15daa.gif

Now Connect. PRESTO it will work!!!

Have Fun!!!

Logieberra
28-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Guys, saw your posts, thanks! Brett n Greg, never mind.

Andrew, our issues are the same! Won't calibrate. Solution, dont use physical buttons on unit to go the full travel 'out' distance. Use software, in my case TSX, to electronically drive it out there, then shutoff power 10sec, then restart while pressing physical 'in' button. She starts calibration from there, fixed! If I use buttons to do this, chattering motor monkey!

Also, numerous US posts confirmed that 'stepsize must be 4 for Robofocus to calibrate',
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccd-newastro/message/46618

David, good info re CCDSoft. I'm running TSX. Relevant to that setup with Robo?

alocky
28-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Fantastic ! Ill give it a try this weekend.
Thanks,
Andrew