PDA

View Full Version here: : Hands up you Introverts

supernova1965
30-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.
Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.
Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.
Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.
Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.
Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.
Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.
Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.
Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.
Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

Shared by Les,JJJ and Paul on F/B and I relate to this very much. Read this and do the poll lets see where we all fit.

http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

TrevorW
30-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Yes to all the above and

Introverts

are picky about their friends

suffer fools lightly

hide their shyness behind bravado and whit

are generally very smart and good looking (thought that I'd throw the good looking in for bonus points)

Morepower
30-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Holy **** !! That has just described me to a "T", except for the "they are not adrenaline junkies" bit. I love adrenaline rushes, usually by doing dangerous things on my own. I never knew until now I was an introvert. Trevor what you mentioned about shyness is SO true.

jjjnettie
30-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I know it may be hard to believe, seeing how I'm the IIS Queen of Spam, but I can relate to all ten. :)

Karls48
30-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Very much spot on. I have been introvert all my life and I'm comfortable with this kind of world point of view. But we need Extroverts as well,the world without them would be dull.

rainwatcher
30-11-2011, 08:17 PM
It seems to me that people who do not suffer fools were fortunate in that their mother was not of the same inclination.

Huginn
30-11-2011, 08:33 PM
I believe I'm halfway between the two because there are some statements that describe me and a few that do not. :)

TrevorW
30-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Aaron you must be similar to what I feel I am sometimes and thats a introverted extrovert

Octane
30-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Isn't the happy medium referred to as an ambivert?

H

trent_julie
30-11-2011, 09:30 PM
omniverts?

erick
30-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes. I am a classic ISTJ (but with a hint of F sometimes) in the Myer-Briggs Type Indicator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

Saturnine
30-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Have to put my hand up to all 10 points, must be an archtypical case for study, can absolutely relate to the descriptions and am happy that way.
Is that why we're happier coming out at night, aids the anominity.

Jeff

jjjnettie
30-11-2011, 10:21 PM
More than happy to have found my niche with all you fantastic guys and girls.

Huginn
30-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Perhaps :)

I enjoy coming out at night because I'm nocturnal, just like the majority of our natives. :P

brian nordstrom
30-11-2011, 10:56 PM
May haps ?:thumbsup:

danielsun
30-11-2011, 11:24 PM
I can relate to all 10 so i'll put my hand up.

ballaratdragons
30-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Same here.
With some situations I am Introverted, others I am Extroverted.
I fit so many categories listed above to a tee, others I am the exact opposite.
An example:
1. I love playing guitar with my sons in front of a crowd, I love public speaking, acting (theatre), and achieving in a public sports event,

2. I dislike crowds and thoroughly enjoy silence and solitude.
I enjoy visits with a few people and hate large parties.

1 & 2 are opposites.

My life's interests have mainly been Extroverted: Footy Player, Outlaw Biker, Tattoo Artist, Youth Worker, Actor, Muso, and I love teaching.

My life's want's have mainly been Introverted: Silence, Privacy, good solid friendships.

My actions and feelings have also clashed.
As a young man I was a criminal, but I always felt bad breaking those laws.
I was a violent Biker, who hated hurting people and felt sorry for the people I hurt.

:shrug:

I used to enjoy being in an outlaw Bike Club, partying hard at our clubhouse or a pub having a blast, chatting up chicks, or causing trouble and fighting,
then I would keep looking at my watch looking forward to the end of the night so I could go home and be alone and soak up the silence and think of 'intellectual' things like astronomy and astrophysics (yes, I really did think quite heavily on them even when I was a professional ratbag).

Nowdays life isn't so crazy, but I still want to go on the rides, Astro Camps, family outings etc, but I still look forward to the silence and aloneness.
Most of the time i can't work myself out, so I don't try. I just go with the flow. My brain hurts less that way :lol:

So, in a nutshell, I have no idea if I am an Introvert or Extravert.

Steffen
01-12-2011, 03:17 AM
Do introverts have a penchant for sarcasm?

Cheers
Steffen.

ZeroID
01-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Another hand up here, I tick all to some degree and that is the point. People are not either one or the other. They are a blend of attitudes and cultures and upbringing and environmet not to mention genetics and the food they eat.
I enjoy my social times and fast car times hammering gravel corners at over 100 kph but then I can enjoy man time down in the workshop designing/building some intricate doohickey that probably costs nothing to buy but mine is better. I need my man time and my space sometimes but bring out a bottle of good Syrah or Pinot Noir and let the good times roll !!

And I DON'T suffer fools gladly ...

strongmanmike
01-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Oh yeh, me to a tee :D

dannat
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
i am 1-8, half of 9 but not 10

multiweb
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
:lol: You get endorsements from Ray-Ban as well? :P

cybereye
01-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I think people that know me well would all agree I'm an extrovert... :D

Mario

Poita
01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Or we could classify as extroverted loners, though I think a few of us are probably just on the spectrum.

supernova1965
03-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Interesting is it our hobby that makes us a majority of introverts:question:

ballaratdragons
05-12-2011, 02:01 AM
I doubt it is very indicative.
You've only had 40 people say they are introverted out of how ever many active members there are in here, plus the tens of thousands of Amateur Astronomers that aren't members in here.

It could possibly indicate that Introverts like to reply to polls more than Extraverts ;)

erick
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Yes this thread for we introverts. The other several thousand threads for the extroverts! :D

apaulo
05-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Yes but the Extraverts score the classy chicks !;)

Cant wait to be an Intravert!

Regards Paul.

:lol:

Screwdriverone
05-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I think its quite funny, and ironic in a way that Warren is asking the introverts to raise their hands to confirm if they are....

Wouldn't it be likely that the true introverts would not even respond in such a public fashion?

Therefore, only the TRUE introverts would avoid answering this poll, skewing the data towards the "wannabe" introverts who are secretly extroverts, just looking for some extra attention by pretending they are introverted?

Sort of like organising a meeting of the agoraphobic society at the local sporting ground....;)

Cheers

Chris

supernova1965
05-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Introverts practice getting out there using the anonymity of the KEYBOARD sort of a shield of sorts:P:computer:

Screwdriverone
05-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Good point Warren,

I was just having a stir....as is my wont ;)

Cheers

Chris

supernova1965
05-12-2011, 05:17 PM
I had just a tiny feeling that you were having a dig I thought it was a good one made me laugh:thumbsup:

dalemadison
05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I am an Introvert and proud of it

Suzy
05-12-2011, 07:33 PM
I know I do. :rolleyes:
Every post I write, I have to check that I don't sound it. I get accused of it all the time at home, and I"m like, "what, what did I say???" :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, not surprisingly all those boxes got ticked for me too.:ashamed:

Chris, you actually hit the nail on the head, whether joking or otherwise.;)
I had a post to send but didn't. And it's only after you said that, that I decided to. I think I border on the extreme end of being introverted, if I'm to be perfectly honest with myself.

I'm so bad that I prefer to go to sleep after everyone has gone to sleep so I can really enjoy solitude. And I mean the whole street, not just my house. I love that time. Probably why I enjoy astronomy so much- alone, while everyone is sleeping. And I prefer to observe on my own.
My other hobby is my Aquarium- another solitary hobby.

:confuse3:Just another point tho- are we (introverts) all control freaks as well? Because I know I am. :question:

:confuse3:Not sure about the last point tho. I enjoy talking to & helping people, but I'm basically a shy person so I have to make an exra effort to get that extrovert hiding in me, out there.

And oh... I don't suffer fools by the telescope. If you tell me that you cannot see Jupiter's red bands thru my 10" dob- you will be abused, as was sadly recently the case. :mad2: There go dreams of becoming a sidewalk astronomer.:rolleyes:
Apart from that "minor little flaw", I am really and truly a very nice person - honest.:question: I just seem to have this "dark" side in the "dark". :P
I mean ... come on! What kind of person CAN NOT see the dark stripes of Jupiter - Sheez! He may as well have said that my big telescope is useless at showing stuff- it means the same thing.:argue: I told him there was something wrong with his eyes and I'm sure that if he didn't scuttle out of my way soon enough would've had an XW torpedoed at him. I have it on good advice premium ep's brake toes and ep stays intact.:thumbsup: Ah oh... there's "that" person again...:wink2: Uh-oh, probably the reason why I'm best left alone to observe.:P

Boy, did I get off the beaten track in this post.:screwy:

Anyway, I can't believe I'm admitting all this stuff, here goes, I'm hitting submit. :face: Chris this is all your fault, you made me do it.:P

supernova1965
05-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I am just gobsmacked that you class yourself a introvert Suzy I would not have called that in a month of Sundays:confused2:

astroron
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Nor me ;) :lol::lol::lol:
Cheers :thumbsup:

Screwdriverone
05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Sorry Boys and Girls, seems its all my fault.....:sadeyes:

Cheers

Chris

Jen
06-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Introvert, extrovert it doesnt matter :screwy: :lol:
Did you guys see this audition on the X-Factor :lol: very catchy LOL it has now been released on single :rofl:

:party::party::party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hW7BYgC7Tg&feature=related

Baddad
06-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi All,
I believe I was chucked in the deep end. Meaning that I was a very introverted personality and very shy.
Then came my Army career. There's no option for shyness as an officer, commissioned or non-commissioned.

I now see myself very similar to Ken (Dragon Man). I enjoy attracting attention.
I enjoy private time and seeking solutions. Investigating.
I do not tolerate fools well.
I seek to establish the credibility of a new aquaintance and decide if the person is worth listening to. It does not need to be a subject that interests me. Just that the person is well informed on the subject.

Some points I am deeply introverted. Some other characteristics indicate extreme extrovert. Others place me in between. However I am basically introverted. I know I am sane and have a high tolerance to stress as my military psychological profile indicates.

Which brings me to that point. I tend to believe that introverts have a higher stress threshold because of their problem solving ability.

To the psychologists out there. Is that the case? Or am I wrong?

Cheers

AstralTraveller
06-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm certainly introverted and I think one characteristic of introverts is being misunderstood. I've been told that extroverts gain emotional energy through social contact whereas social interaction costs introverts emotional energy. So it's not that introverts don't like social contact, they just can't take too much and need their time alone to recharge.

Last Saturday I went to a friend's wedding with lots of people I didn't know. I play music with the groom and so after the speeches a PA was set up and a group of us played for a couple of hours. I had a great time - not the least because of the great 'Mark Bass' rig I borrowed - and was feeling quite outgoing. The next day my wife visited relatives and I was alone for most of the day, which was just what I needed. I really wouldn't have liked a repeat of Saturday. I pottered around doing jobs, watched a bit of cricket and had a very low-key low-stress day.

I also prefer to observe alone (though I rarely get the chance) to recharge the batteries and have some quality 'me' time. And, although I can't stay up late too much anymore (lack of sleep triggers my depression) I can fully relate to staying up late to get some quality solitude - I used to do it all the time.

Regarding playing music to crowds: I hardly ever get the chance but to me it's still mostly playing with friends. I'm sufficiently amateurish that I need to concentrate on what is happening on stage and the sound is usually so poor that hearing the others takes an effort, so there is little chance to even notice the audience. I don't know what would happen if the sound was great and I was confident of every song and so could focus on the audience. Perhaps that is when I would freeze! :lol:

supernova1965
06-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Twenty something years ago I was an Apprentice Chef in Airlie Beach and usually on yearly holidays I would do the pubs and clubs with my friends always busy and with lots of people.

Towards the end of my apprentiship I completely changed I bought heaps of tinned food and supplies and a hammock to sleep on no tent good weather at the time of the year I went.

I hired a water taxi to drop me off on an uninhabited island with instructions to return in a month no phone nothing it was the best time I have ever had I believe it was the begining of my interest in Buddhism.:campfire: Since then I hardly drink at all believe me that was a big change as all I did before that was drink hence no money in the bank from those days and I much prefer quiet times rowdy parties are not enjoyable I prefer a few friends and being able to hear what everyone is saying.

I don't like to obsereve by myself as I lack the motivation to stay out the body gets too sore and I pack it in and head inside but if I am out with our small group I forget about the body and talk astronomy and look at the wonders of the night sky untill all hours of the morning.:stargaze:

Stardrifter_WA
06-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes, I am an introvert......and that is all I am going to say :D

seeker372011
06-12-2011, 09:34 PM
According to myer Briggs I am very , read..extreme introverted

I have taken the test twice
I tried to cheat the second time , just to see what happened..did not change the result..that is a well designed test!

I worked for a big multi national company at the time. Of the 60 odd people in the cohort that took the test at a Course for General Managers, I was one of two who scored high on the Myer Briggs I(introvert) scale. I left that company soon after..
They more or less told me I had no big future there anyway..

Happy to be an introvert

Stardrifter_WA
06-12-2011, 10:59 PM
It is there loss Narayan. Introverts get the job done! They spend less time sucking up to managers :P