PDA

View Full Version here: : Millionaire Observers ?

rainwatcher
29-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I have just been investigating the prices for solid latitude adjusters for my celestron wedge. Enough to make a grown man cry; I won't even get onto miscro-focusers ! . I wish i had been attracted to a cheaper hobby, such as polo or open class ocean racing. Oh well back to the workshop.

mishku
29-11-2011, 09:29 AM
I feel your pain!! After a weekend at Snake Valley, I've realised that living in a near-the-city apartment and driving a tiny car just isn't going to work, regardless of how convenient it is for the rest of my life!

In order to get the giant lightbucket that I covet, I'll be needed a new house, car, and cabana boy to cart my scope around (poss. will make drinks also?) :lol:

casstony
29-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I suspect most people don't buy Celestron gear in Australia at regular prices because they are so inflated compared to other brands - I buy Celestron used, on special, from Andrews or from the US.

Huginn
30-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I wish ! I'm a young student and saved for a whole year whilst looking around for my perfect scope I believe there is a lot more saving a head during the rest of my life.

Poita
01-12-2011, 10:28 AM
I am using a cheap GSO crayford on my SCT and would never look back, maybe try that instead of the expensive microfocusers. Made my own wedge at one stage too, if you are not travelling much, a fixed position wedge is solid and works a treat and costs little to make.
I stick with DIY where I can, my wage is not what it once was!

rainwatcher
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I am making my own latitude adjuster for my current wedge - total price $8 and some scrap steeel angle iron. I can provide plans if anyones interested. I also had a fit when i saw the price of the Celestron camera piggy back mount - $49 on ebay, and elswhere, for a tiny casting !!!!. I made my own one of those as well using a cheap but solid ball mount from (eBay Hong Kong $7.90 inc postage) and a small piece of stiff steel strip.
On another issue I was dong some ep proj. photography last night on Jupitor. Merely touching the focuser sent the image off the screen of my Canon D1000. Focusing was all but impossible the image first diving to the right and then wobbling made it impossible to focus. I am considering stripping the back off my C8 to check if the mirror tube is still evenly lubricated and the connection point for the focuser rod is OK.
While i am having a good moan, my tracking now seems to be running backwards :screwy:, and my dec drive is reaslly sluggish. Maybe the battery is shot i am going to put a 12V power supply on and see if that fixes it as soon as i can work out the input pin arrangement.
Balancing is also a trial, especially with the camera at the end of the "deluxe" tele-extender mounting. I must admit to having second thoughts about the Celstron now, however i am stuck with it so will have to try every trick to make it perform.
OK and while i am at it everything above is moot as the damn weather in Melbourne is horrendous.
On a positive note the Dob Newt. I made performs admirably. I am off now to kick the cat and have a cry :D.

Poita
02-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Ditch the teleadapter and get a crayford focuser for the celestron, makes focusing a breeze and you can put the t-adapter on the end of it. Much more solid connection all around and a joy to use.
You could sell the tele-extender to help fund it. The GSO model is fine and under a hundred, best money you'll ever spend.

rainwatcher
02-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Yep thanks Poita, thats what i am going to do. I must admit that moving the objective to focus is not something i would every have imaged as a reasonable solution - it seems to work for some, but to me its an abominable design. The focuser you mention, the only one i can find is the Ginseng :) version. A 2" 10:1 is this the one ?, also does the two inch fit all celestrons, my current back is 1.25".

Poita
05-12-2011, 06:08 AM
William Optics also have a nice one.
http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/sct_ddg_feature.php

The 2" GSO or WO ones fits all celestrons, the 2" part refers to the eyepiece holder end, not the SCT thread. It comes with a 2" to 1.25" adapter for 1.25" eyepieces as well.

John0z
05-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I was just reading this discussion about the hobby and just wanted to provide some feedback. Yes, I also was taken back about the cost - after I had bought my Meade 10" SCT and Losmandy GM-8 13 years ago - spending just over $5000. I then thought about making a lot of the parts that I thought I needed, so in the past 4 years, I have been investing in a lathe, milling machine, dividing head and various cutting tools, work-holding equipment etc. I was actually quite shocked when I checked the total spending - since I put the costs into a spreadsheet - I have spent almost $6500. It makes me wonder if it was worth it.

Anyway, just thought I would put in my 10 cents worth.

-John

A23649
07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
John,
Remember, don't spend it all at once :P :lol: