PDA

View Full Version here: : Australian discovery of a Voorwerp - update No. 2

madbadgalaxyman
28-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Dr William Keel, University of Alabama, recently wrote:
"Interest in a Zoo-style survey of GALEX structures has been rekindled particularly with some features pointed out by amateur Robert Lang. The FUV-bright cloud NE of IC 223 is a strong GALEX source."

As result of my recent discovery of a Voorwerp (near IC 223) in the GALEX ultraviolet imaging data, and my discovery of a number of other puzzling and anomalous galaxies seen in the far-ultraviolet regime, there has been renewed interest in searching the still largely unknown far-ultraviolet sky for strange, peculiar, and interesting objects.

The longer exposures in the GALEX database (not the very short exposure survey images) are a very powerful engine for finding peculiar galaxies. In some cases, a single GALEX field can contain dozens (or more) of peculiar and unusual galaxies!
The GalexView "virtual telescope" becomes particularly powerful when you use SDSS Skyserver Data Release 8 to quickly find a high-resolution optical image of a peculiar galaxy you have just found in the GALEX ultraviolet imaging data. As my list of strange UV objects grows ever longer, I am quite certain that sufficient diligence will reveal some real surprises in the Far-ultraviolet images taken by GALEX.

Dr Keel also wrote this, in a presentation:
"Another one (galaxy with isolated UV clouds outside of it, my italics) from his (Robert Lang's) recent email is
NGC 4278 (....) "

Here is the galex FUV +NUV image of N4278:

___________________________________ ____
Since my first discovery, I have found yet another Voorwerp-like object.....I hope that the latest object also proves to be of interest!!!
___________________________________ _____