PDA

View Full Version here: : What's something crazy you do?

strongmanmike
17-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Thought I'd start my own inane thread...perhaps we will see some strange things (hopefully).

I received some photos of my past life today that I hadn't seen before and thought.."man I was bloody crazy" and it got me wondering about crazy things others on here may have done or indeed still do.

So, any photos?

Lets see'em :thumbsup:

I'll start..

First photo is me back in 2000 at the Australasian Strongest Man (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/68904365/original) comp in Sydney at the Royal Easter Show...looks like I am about to blow a poofer valve :lol:...I remember that was the 4th (out of five) and 160kg stone and it was bluddy heavy :lol:

Second photo is me in my last ever run in this famous event it was July 2005 in Aberdeen NSW

...no more now, lifting the mouse to use Photoshop is about it for me now :P

Mike

strongmanmike
17-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Yeh that's the idea - pictures, we want pictures :P

Steffen
17-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Crikey! Have you been practicing with 14" SCTs? ;)

Cheers
Steffen.

iceman
17-11-2011, 05:00 PM
LOL nice Mike!

What's with the lifting of the front of your kilt in the 2nd one? Trying to show us something? :)

strongmanmike
17-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I found the stone would slip and tend to roll on the kilt material as I exerted the final up lift (see attached photo), so I used to tuck it up under my belt before starting my 5 stone run :D...nothing grand under there

Now you must have some crazy shots during Karate, lets see'em :D

Mike

iceman
17-11-2011, 05:16 PM
These were during my black belt grading :)

I had to spar 6 people in a row, no rest, continuous sparring.

1. A kick from Shihan Lliam (former Australian champion)
2. A kick to the body from Sensei Josh who looks like he's trying to kill me
3. After another of Sensei Josh's kicks, right in the solar plexus and winded me.
4. After the sparring was over. Just running on adrenalin. :)

Was a pretty crazy time, but fond memories indeed :)

strongmanmike
17-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Awesome! Man you looked trashed in the last shot :lol:

Great photos :clap:

BlackWidow
17-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Well somtimes I tell the Wife that I don't agree with Her....That's some real Crazy Sh--.

I also love doing this stuff and this is a link that I took a while ago taking my Brother in Law for a ride.. If you take a look at at some of my other videos, you will see some other mad stuff as well.

Here is the link for those who might want a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7MGfO2PYY

Mad is just slang for fun!

Mardy

Bassnut
17-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I like Bass......LOUD..... and fat red lips :cool:

Oh, and a Morrisset Lunatic Asylum (near newcastle) gig we did for the Sydney Cave Klan. The only pic I have unforch. This place was a wreck shut down 30yrs ago, heavily fenced off, and insanely illegal to get into.

Got there in the middle of a forest in pitch dark, destroyed a fence to get in, set up a genny, huge fires were lit up, we made a hell of a noise in the middle of no where.

Freaky stuff, absolute lunnies for an audience (they were shut down I think due to them crawling thru sewers for fun, potential terrorist).

This place was a gulag, I kid you not, torture rooms, acres of barbed wire fencing.

The crazy part was playing with and to very edgy ppl indeed in a very off the wall illegal setting in the pitch dark, in a forest, and fires blazing .

GrahamL
17-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I laddy we can all see that now.. its nought whats there ..its the wee bit of space on such a giant of a man that raises the eyebrow

:D

Alchemy
17-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Not really crazy but different, taken up kitebuggying, have a bunch of kites and a buggy. You would be surprised at how powerful a kite can be.

Not pics of me but will give you a good idea of what it's about.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=AU&rdm=4of0xhxjy&reload=3#/watch?v=0V5nawwU9bo

strongmanmike
17-11-2011, 08:18 PM
:eyepop:...now why aren't I surprised :question: :lol:

You look hot Fred ;)

strongmanmike
17-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Ah..it's just the moon illusion..in reverse :whistle:

Bassnut
17-11-2011, 08:57 PM
And you in a skirt do too darling :thumbsup:, only...........im dissapointed that its obvious what you wearing under it, thats not whats expected under a tarten is it?.

bartman
17-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Innnterrrressstttinnk! :rockband::eek::evil::scared2::conf use3:
Bartman

Omaroo
17-11-2011, 09:58 PM
You freak me out Fred... you really do. :lol: Love it! :)

marki
17-11-2011, 10:34 PM
ummmm I teach teenagers for a living :eek::scared::help3: now where is that straight jacket :lol:.

Mark

TrevorW
17-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Used to do indoor and outdoor rock climbing joints can't take the strain anymore although I still play soccer social league with guys half my age

:thumbsup:

Octane
17-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Fred,

You, sir, are awesome. <3

H

Mick
18-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Two days of this because I have a big mouth...

Octane
18-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Mick,

lmao! What's the back story?

H

Mick
18-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Well all I said was that I think that being pit crew was a thankless and drab job.
So my team drivers suggested that I should inject some colour into pit lane and if I didn't they would make me pay big time.

You can see from the last image how much colour that we brought to this event at our home track.

We are racing again this weekend, away from home so no war paint this time...

Visionoz
18-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Mike, you never suffered from hernia ever in your life ain't it? Looks obvious you haven't :D!

Cheers
Bill

strongmanmike
18-11-2011, 06:52 AM
That was a common question from members of the public also "how is your back?" My two major injuries in my 10 year competitive career was badly rolling an ankle 4 weeks out from the event in 2000 (per the photo) and crushing my voice box in 2000 while rolling a car in New Zealand which meant I couldn't sing properly for over a year :sadeyes:

Mike

cybereye
18-11-2011, 07:55 AM
I used to play Over 35's (Golden Oldies) Rugby until a few years ago and I also played first grade Rugby League in Adelaide back in 1984. At 70kg (playing weight) and just under 5'8" I'd have to put that into the "crazy" category!

I loved playing both Union and League and if it wasn't for having had cataracts removed I'd still be out there on the left wing scoring as many tries as I could! My wife said I looked like a midget when I was out on the field but I played none the less. And like all old sportsmen, these times have left me with many great memories and stories of my time out on the paddock... as well as two plates in my right hand!

I've attached 2 pictures of my Union/League career. The first is taken in about 2005 just before we were to take on a team of Samoans at St. Brendan's fields at Moorooka in Brisbane. I'm third from the left in the back row. This was the before match photo. The after match photo was somewhat gruesome!

The second was taken back in 1984 at the height of my stint in first grade in Adelaide. I was once asked by someone looking at the photo as to who did my hair back in 1984 (I'm the one closest to the camera). The answer was simple - the opposition forwards!!

Cheers,
Mario

PeterM
18-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Thirty years ago like Fred I was seeing other stars. Mind you maybe there was an omen.. we used to use smoke bombs on stage until we somehow ended up with a mix closer to gunpowder at the Highway Hotel in Wentworthville (now gone). Right at the start of our heavier version of House of the Rising Sun BANG... the metal plates with the igniters wre even bent, we were very lucky. Blew all the speaker cones in the PA and our amps. Spent a week at Etone reconing speakers. Hmmm seeing stars and a big explosion and now 30 years later something in that.
Oh and the band name well we were a power pop band starting towards the end of the punk era, with names like Mental As Anything it didn't seem out of place. I suppose with names like Black Eyed Peas it still doesn't. Oh thats me at right on guitar. The agency that managed us had a lot of well known bands I wonder who here remembers many of them. Ah the 80s.

The_bluester
18-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Perhaps not overly crazy, but when you consider how slippery it is and how close some of the things to hit are! Still plenty of adrenaline to be had nearly twenty years after I started doing this enven though this particular track is gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnfM8mkveWs

And people think AP is an expensive hobby!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/the_bluester/turnin.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/the_bluester/2011%20motorsport/DSCF7312.jpg

Kevnool
18-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Survived a drowning in the flooded Mississippi river in 83.
A barge captain found me washed up on a log pack in the water.

Cheers Kev.

ZeroID
18-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Blowing $20,000 worth of Fireworks up in 10 minutes .......
Used to run a Fireworks company doing public displays. Could be quite entertaining for the operator down in amongst it all. Still got the cotton overalls with the holes burnt all over them ..... lots of close call stories there, Fireworks are not known for their reliable operation. 'Duck' bombs were the best.

Then when that slowed down moved into Amateur Rocketry. Gave it away after the second big explosion in the back yard testing a tethered motor... neighbours objected .... funny that .. :P

A bit of Rally Car driving, some track time, :driving:
Water Safety Patrol Skipper, crashing about in the Hauraki Gulf in a 2 tonne 43 knot patrol boat looking for idiots who go to sea in storms.

Yeah, been a pretty quiet life really...:D

multiweb
18-11-2011, 12:34 PM
:eyepop: :lol: Always knew you were a punk. :P

AndyK
18-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Fly small aircraft ... though not so much these days.
Ride motorcycle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4y9QRiJGak) ... just for the heck of it.
Sometimes climb communications towers as part of my job ... although not if the apprentice is close at hand.

avandonk
18-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Apart from riding m'bikes real hard and aerobatics in a Pitts Special my thrillseeker moment was at a lunch with many leading feminists. My host and I being both male kept our lips sealed as to the discourse over the meal.
I was asked point blank what I thought of the feminist movement by the then leader of the Nurses Federation. My answer was simple yet succint. It gets the women out of the kitchens and laundries into the bar where I can attempt to 'interact' with them.
There was an instant of stunned silence! Mine host spurted his beer. Women were very angry. If looks could kill I was dead!.
Jocelyn Scutt a leading Labor Lawyer then asked me simply "What do you really mean Bert?" My answer was simple, that I was all in favour of equality but let us not lose sight of what that means. I told her I was sick and tired of being portrayed as a stereotype of the unthinking male chauvanist pig. Your reaction Ladies and I use the term loosely is typical of a Pavlovian reaction.
Jocelyn Scutt a week later had a two page essay in 'The Age' and her total argument was along the logical lines I was putting forward.

I did escape alive but the ex-wife gave me hell all the way home!

Bert

DavidU
18-11-2011, 01:33 PM
:lol: Bert !
I flew planes, skin diving, shark & game fishing, a few thousand gigs.
But the scariest thing is bringing up 5 kids.
Bert, my moms best mate was Germane Greer.

smersh
18-11-2011, 01:48 PM
don't mention the drugs fred

avandonk
18-11-2011, 02:02 PM
I agree my father brought up eleven of us. Daunting ideed. Germaine Greer was a beginner to that lot! I still shudder what they would have done to me if they had their druthers.

bert

Ric
18-11-2011, 02:22 PM
My other hobby is beekeeping.

People think I'm crazy for playing with thousands of bees. :screwy:

They are quite keen to buy my honey though. :lol:

Bassnut
18-11-2011, 02:35 PM
mmm, yes, come to think of it, there wernt any at all, I got confused,I was wrong.

sheeny
18-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Crazy things I've done?...

1. I've worn orange.
2. I've worn orange (fully dressed) while swimming in a pool.
3. I've made life hell for vertical rescue operators in training by overtaking them on their rope:P. (A *******s Inc. specialty).
4. I've hung around on the end of ropes.
5. I've hung on the end of ropes out of aircraft.
6. and 7. I've been caving.:)

Not that I think any of this is crazy... but popular concensus might.

It's been many years since I've done crazy stuff on motorbikes...:thumbsup:

This little exercise makes me realise just how few photos I have of myself and the things I do...:sadeyes:. Sorry for the poor picture quality on most of these, I was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Al.

JohnG
18-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Picture says it all........

Cheers

jjjnettie
18-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I used to make 800kg quadrupeds jump over ever increasing sized fences.
Controlling the beast with subtle leg movements and 2 thin lengths of leather that were buckled to a metal mouth piece strapped to his head.
Never had much success with it personally (I was very good at falling off LOL yet I kept on getting back on, confirming I was, according to Einstein's definition, "Crazy") , but I did strap for one of our Olympic riders, Guy Creighton for a short time. So I got the chance to ride and look after some very highly trained, and famous horses of the era. "Mikneil" "Little John" and "Halim" (who Sam Neill rode in the fillum Robbery Under Arms.)

Bassnut
18-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Why were they shooting at you John?.

JohnG
18-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Naughty men in the house didn't want to come out ;).

Cheers

Bassnut
18-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Actually, I meant I thought you was the naughty man in the house :lol:

Nice uniforms and kit, looks extreme :P

mill
18-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Freehand sliding down on my stomach on a bit of leather on a rope in the marines.
Forward running abseiling from buildings (again in the marines).
Seeing bullets going in the grass right next to me and diving to the ground because we had another short falling grenade is just plain crazy but a good experience :P
Also sitting a tent in Norway at -54C for one hour and then waking up the guy next to you so you can sleep 1 hour.

JohnG
18-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Excellent gear and kit, when SWOS changed to the SPG, entry kit included either MP-5's or A4's, Parker-Hale Model 85 sniper rifle was my choice. Whole idea was to look as big and as mean as possible.

I lasted 5 years before going to Rescue, your heart was in your mouth each entry, believe me you don't forget the sound a bullet makes whizzing past your ear :lol:.

Cheers

Peter Ward
18-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Humm... Spelunking and scuba diving at the same time.
Flying a single engine aeroplane across the Indian ocean from South Africa to Oz.
Everthing else (eg. 200km/hr on a Honda bike without grey hair, 275km/hr in the Fezza with grey hair) was just fun....hence not crazy... :lol:

The_bluester
18-11-2011, 09:00 PM
There is nothing quite like that brief moment in the air when it has all gone quiet is there. Just enough time to think about the next log (I prefer cross country although that did end up with me buried head first in gravel up to my ears once)

ballaratdragons
18-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Most of the crazy stuff I've done (and I mean REALLY crazy) was either totally Illegal or beyond stupid and deadly (or both).

I unfortunately lived a life of crazy stuff almost daily which to me was pretty ordinary, but most of mankind looked at in horror and disgust or anger.

Much of it can be guessed when you know that I was a Tattoo Artist for most of my early life and a full patch member in outlaw motorcycle clubs for more than 10 years, been in a motorcycle club War, and we lived on the edge always.
And even before that I was arrested and charged as one of the three in the 'Great Australian Mail Heist'.
John G (see above posts) even remembers some of my 'crazy stuff'! Small world isn't it :whistle:

But time moved on and I finally woke up to myself :lol: got a job working in TV and Movies (crew), then after another short few years in Tattooing, I moved to Ballarat and opened a Harley-Davidson business selling Harleys, parts, and accessories, in a town that didn't even have 1 Harley in it at the time! :screwy:

Then went to University as a mature Entry student (in my late 30's) to study 'Human Services-Youth Work' and moved into areas of crazy things like Youth work with kids even the Youth Prisons didn't even want, they were that bad.
I formed a Motorcycle Club in western Victoria made up of other ex-outlaw club Bikers that want to help other outlaw Bikers wanting an 'out' of the scene, but still wanted to ride in a club atmosphere, and help druggies, and homeless kids. We spent all our time in dangerous and highly volatile situations, being in it, but not part of it. :)

I set up an adult Prisoner's halfway house, a safe-house for escapee's from Youth Prisons, then a drop-in centre for the homeless in Ballarat (all these with Council, Police, Church, and Corrections Dept. backing), I held Biker Rock Concerts in the bush just outside Ballarat to raise money for the homeless to help set them up with accommodation and work, and combed the Night Clubs, backstreets and laneways of Ballarat City after midnight looking for the homeless (Cops said we were risking our lives and we just said "Yep, well you won't do it"). :P

Then in my late 40's I started a whole ARL registered Rugby League District!!! (http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=7-2993-0-0-0) (and the clubs in it) in anti-Rugby-League western Victoria (we even played in front of 8,000 people at Olympic Park (http://www.sportingpulse.com/gallery.cgi?g=1944&e=2993&et=1&c=7-2993-0-0-0) Melbourne), I went and did all the ARL Training and tests to become a fully registered Rugby League Coach at age 48, started an Astronomical Association (http://svaatest.site88.net/) in a town with a population of only 150, started the Snake Valley Astronomy Camps (http://astronomycamps.bravehost.com/home.html), and then, just 2 years ago I played Guitar 'live' for the first time in front of people at age 52 with my two sons, then actually sang in front of people for the first time only 1 year ago!

I'm now 54 and I'm sure I'm not finished doing crazy things yet. Life is meant to be lived :)

Oh, and by the way, I never gave up riding motorcycles. I have been a member of 'Ulysses' (http://www.ulyssesclub.org/)for the last 14 years :thumbsup:

Speaking of Crazy, I made up a saying when I was about 20 y.o. and I still use it (and you may use it, I didn't copyright it):

"If you don't act mad, you go mad" :lol:

JohnG
19-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Well put, Ken :thumbsup:

We can have a laugh about it now but it was all too serious then.....

Everything turns a full circle eventually :).

Cheers mate

AdrianF
19-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I must have lead a sheltered life after reading some of these posts.
Worst I do is ride a motorcycle with Ulysses badges.
I have explored caves/mines last one I went into was a mine just north of Mt Isa we went in had a look around took some ore samples climbed out and about 20 mins or so later the top of the mine caved in.

Adrian

blink138
19-11-2011, 06:23 PM
motorcycles motorcycles and more motorcycles!
i have done so much damage on them including i am now on my second replacement hip on the same side at age 37 (now 48)
i literally could not go to the corner shop without doing a hundred mile an hour, as soon as i put the lid on i sprouted horns!
pat

Jen
20-11-2011, 04:08 AM
:eyepop: woah Ken i knew there was a reason why i like you so much you are one scary looking mother f*&#er but you have the biggest heart of gold :thumbsup: good on ya buddy at least you can say whoah that was one hell of a ride woohoo and i made it :D

All my friends just think im just crazy not sure why :screwy::rolleyes::D

cybereye
20-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Ken,

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of effort you must have put into this to not only get the comp up and running but to also keep it going. Bloody fantastic and well done!! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mario

Kal
20-11-2011, 09:59 PM
I was out in Sydney's heat today navigating for close to 6 hours in a social rogaine event. For those that aren't familiar woth rogaining, it's an Australian invented sport where teams cross country navigate.

rogaining (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogaining)

bartman
20-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Ken that is a wicked and interesting story!

How did you go from coach/ bikie to starting up Snake Valley??????
Theres a bit missing......:P:D
Cheers
Bartman

ballaratdragons
20-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Bart, nothing of any interest is missing.
I was coaching and doing astronomy, and held the 1st SV camp. The camps are outside Footy season.
The SVAA sprang out from interest at the 1st SV camp. :)

Now let's get on with other people's crazy stuff :thumbsup: