PDA

View Full Version here: : Advice on Binoculars - ( Decision made!! )

Tamtarn
13-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi everyone

We have recently had a big break from all things Astro but now have a renewed interest once again.

We are in the market for a pair of 20x80 Astronomy binos up to approx. $500.

We have read many reviews and the Celestron Skymaster seems to be the one receiving the most positive comments.

We are seeking advice from ISS members as to whether they agree or have any other suggestions.

Your comments would be much appreciated.

David and Barb

dannat
13-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Qc can be a gamble with the skymasters I'd be more inclined to go for the 20x80 Andrews offer(in either triplet or doublet) keep in mind you'll be doing the qc show check them over whence you get them.

The 15x70 ultras at andews would be my pick though ( or the 10.5x7@ for that matter) 20x80 just never hit a sweet spot for me & the 70 ultras have sweet coatings, & are built like tanks
I presume you have a good tripod already, you will need a fluid or geared head rated for 5kg to mount them also

If you can pickup a secondhand vixen 20x80 they are well made & hold collimation better than most of the current Chinese crop of 20x80's? Sme of the Orion models eg mega or giant view are good also, check if star optics has any left at clearance prices

Do you wear eyeglasses when observing, if so is it for astigma, you'll need long er in that case

dugnsuz
13-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi Barb and Dave,
Good to see you back on the scene.
I can recommend the generic 15x70 chinese binocs you see all around. They are hand-holdable( for a limited time) and provide a reasonable exit pupil size for us over 30's. 20x80's will probably need to be mounted - without a dedicated parallelogram mount this can be a real pain in the neck on a standard photo tripod.
I used to use my AOE 15x70's reclining on a sun lounger - beautiful almost 3D views of the milky way...you may need to buy 2 binoculars and loungers!
All the best
Doug

rmcconachy
13-11-2011, 05:44 PM
G'day,

Have you got a tripod to mount these binoculars on? Hand holding a 20x80 binocular steadily is a feat well beyond my abilities. Are you particularly looking for a 20x80 binocular or just something larger and higher powered than more common 10x50 and similar glasses? I'm not a fan of the Skymasters (too many ship misaligned) but if you managed to get a good one they rank highly on a `performance per dollar' measure. If you aren't stuck on a 20x80 specifically then I'd suggest looking at the BA8 15x70 which is sold under many labels, e.g., by Andrews Communications in Sydney as the "MB Ultra". Happy observing with whatever you decide to buy! :)

Tamtarn
13-11-2011, 08:09 PM
The 20x80's have a 3.7 FOV which suits our needs. The 15x70 have a 4.4 FOV so we would take that into consideration in making a descision.

We have a suitable sturdy tripod and neither of us wear glasses.

Will check out the Andrews Ultra they may be another option.

Thanks for the input Daniel

Hi Doug good to hear from you.
We have a suitable tripod already but may have to review our ideas on viewing once we decide on the binos. Might doze off on a lounge Doug!!

Will check out AOE as well. Thanks

dannat
13-11-2011, 08:15 PM
David I don't think aoe trade anymore

Tamtarn
14-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks Daniel

iceman
14-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Welcome back Barb and Dave!

A break from astro imaging?

mikerr
14-11-2011, 04:44 PM
David, if you are going to be sharing the one set of binoculars, be aware of the need to focus each eypiece independently. This could become frustrating handing from person to person and needing to refocus again.

Michael.

Tamtarn
14-11-2011, 06:04 PM
A break from astro imaging?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the interest Mike.

We both felt that we had reached the peak of what we could achieve in astrophotography with the equipment we have, so we decided to channel our enthusiasm into terrestrial photography, which we are enjoying immensely.

Although I have found that I miss my astronomy world so we have decided to sell every piece of astro equipment ( except the 12" dob :) ) and buy a couple of good binos, a wideview and a deep view, which I can still use to explore the night sky.

So I will be visiting IIS more often now.

Barb

iceman
14-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Post some of your terrestrial photos too!

Hagar
14-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi Guy's good to see you back. I was begining to wonder if everything was OK. Nice to have you both back on deck.
Remember if you are up this way to give me a call.

Cheers
Doug Braidwood

Tamtarn
20-11-2011, 06:24 PM
After a great deal of research I have decided that the Andrews MB Ultra15x70's is a much better option for me than the Celestron Skymaster 20x80's.
Thanks Daniel and rmcconachy for your recommendations.

My Andrews MB Ultras should arrive Tomorrow or Tuesday.....Can't wait :thumbsup:

Barb