PDA

View Full Version here: : RH 200 Seen at AIC

dvj
11-11-2011, 08:18 AM
The California AIC conference presented another hands-on opportunity to see the Officina-Stellarie RH-200 model and to chat a bit the Gino and Giovanni.

- The astrograph is in production.
- deliveries may actually happen in a few months. No specific date
- Version on the floor was the final model
- New carbon fiber sliding dewshield/light baffle
- 42mm image circle with spot sizes of 8 to 14 microns. That's pretty small for big arrays like the 16803, but would be perfect for something like the 8300.
- 115mm backfocus. No problem with an Atlas focuser, CFW 5/7, Proline 16803.
- weight around 8.5kg.
- suggest the use of 50mm square filters when using the 16803 chips.
- dual tube rings not necessary due to the compact design.
- mechanical fit and finish was excellent. Red and back would be a perfect match to the new Bisque MX mount. (if that matters).

And yes, I am still trying to get one for testing in Coonbarabran.
And yes, I still think the FSQ is a great bargan and has better field coverage.

BTW, Tak has come out with a carbon tubed E-180 f/2.8 and apparently a new ED corrector lens for it. Plus an optional focuser which looks like an Atlas focuser, but of their own design.

gregbradley
11-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the update John.

It sounds like a very interesting scope. 42mm circle would limit it to 11002 size chips and be 2mm off (they need 44) 16803 need 52mm.

KAF8300 would be a match as would KAI16000 and KAI29050 (with minor cropping perhaps).

You could always use a 16803 and be prepared to crop some of the FOV.

115mm, is that enough to fit a MMOAG in there as well? About 45mm for a MMOAG and adapters, 22mm for a CFW 5/7, 30.3mm for chip to camera face. So that's around 100mm assuming it has no specific metal back distance requirement from its corrector (it probably doesn't).

Greg.

dvj
12-11-2011, 04:30 AM
You are absolutly right Greg. Square format arrays would be nice with this scope to fill a 40mm image circle. I also forgot to mention that there are 4 adjustments on the backplate that will allow for tip-tilt to square your camera if needed. Something that will be real critical at f/3

I don't think an off-axis guider is needed for this system. All of the beta tested images were done with a small guidescope.

The RH-200 sure remindes me of my old Celestron 8-inch Schmidt Camera that I used for my deep red exposures on Tech Pan.

The RH-200 will be over $9000 USD if you add the FLI Atlas focuser to it which I would suggest as mandatory due to the very narrow critical focus zone.

jg

dvj
12-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Some iPhone shots of the RH-200 at the AIC. Dew shield is retracted.

jg

gregbradley
12-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Gee, the Italians really know how to make a beautiful looking product.

It certainly looks fabulous. Being so compact is very handy for many reason. Transport, less affected by wind.

The tip/tilt feature is very smart. With big chip cameras I think any scope would need that. Perhaps Ashley at Precise Parts can make me an adapter that would work on my Proline.

Greg.