PDA

View Full Version here: : 300mm Fluorite lens project.

avandonk
06-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I have finally got hold of some mounting rings the correct size to hold the Canon 300mm Fluorite lens. The doveplate in the pictures has lots of holes so the whole assembly should be able to be mounted on any setup with a piggyback mount somewhere near balance point. The cap screws will be inside the dovetail so everything is flush.

The other nice thing about correct size mounting rings you can rotate the whole lens and camera to frame your target in the optimum orientation.

The camera end of the lens I hope to have a universal T-mount with provision for adding 48mm filter(s). This is in the design stage still. If it was only for a Canon EOS it would be a lot easier. Could people let me know what cameras (brands and types) they are likely use with this.

If anyone can see where it could be made more universal ie fit your setup, please let me know.

Bert

iceman
06-03-2006, 03:32 PM
That looks great, Bert.. It's a seriously nice looking lens.

avandonk
06-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Yes Mike it is optically almost as good as my Canon 300mm F2.8L even wide open at F2.8. You really have to zoom right in to pixel levels and then you can see a marginal difference. The great advantage with this it will work with any camera or astro CCD as it is fully manual. The front lens has a diameter of 105mm. You are correct, this is a seriously good lens. You could say it is a 105mm Diameter F2.8 APO. It has no chromatic abberation and is pinpoint sharp over a 20D sensor to the corner. I have not tried it yet on the 5DH.

This is the lens that will be available for loan to IIS members. I am trying to make it as universal and easy to use as possible.

Bert