PDA

View Full Version here: : Star trail in moon light.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
03-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi,
Still learning the ropes with the Canon DSLR, just experimenting with settings and processing in Registax. I’ve had to sort out a few drive issues and polar alignment with my scope. Still have to tweak the R.A drive a bit more , ahh the joys of ATM!
I’m really impressed with colours the camera produces for astro imaging.
Here’s a few images.
1. Star trail, in moon light 18mm lens at F/5.6 ISO 200 25 minutes exposure. There is also a reference image of 30 sec, to show an approximation of what the sky was visually at that time.
2. M42, 300 mm zoom lens at 300 F/5 ISO 400 with camera dark reduction on. One 1 minute and four 2 ½ minute frames, processed in registax and Photo shop 7. I’m amazed the moon light doesn’t seem to effect the image.
Now I’m just waiting for my camera adapters to arrive to try it on the scope.

Cheers,
Justin

niko
03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Justin,

great results! Well done!

My only comment would be that the stars in your Orion pic appear a little too purple but terrific first efforts and welcome to the step, slippery learning curve!

cheers

niko

tilbrook@rbe.ne
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi, Niko.

Thanks for the comments.

I just checked the original frames of M42, the stars are purple on those.
So could this be a focus issue, or the lens itself?

Cheers,

Justin.

bartman
03-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Great shots Justin!
Love the first pic!
second is great too and yes the third has a bit of purpleness around the stars.
I'm not going to give advice, as I'm not too savvy on these issues, but I think it might be due to the lens. They are not designed for AP. So ( I believe) Chromatic abberation maybe the enemy here....
HTH
Bartman