PDA

View Full Version here: : FT micro focuser on a M14" ACF

ChrisM
31-10-2011, 11:15 PM
After successfully fitting a Feathertouch micro dual speed focuser to an LX90 8" a couple of years ago, and being very pleased with the improvement, I purchased another one for the 14" ACF SCT.

It was easy enough to remove the original focuser and attach the new one, but no matter how carefully I try to align the focuser on the radial rod (which is attached to the mirror support arrangement), it seems that I can't get it quite right. The result is that when the three screws that fix the focuser to the SCT body are tightened, the FT focuser tightens up and does not run freely. In the best compromise tightening position, there is a noticeable gap (maybe 0.5 mm) between the FT focuser flange and the SCT body. Of course this leads to unacceptable hysteresis when changing focus direction.

I am interested to hear from anyone else who has had this issue.

Chris

Poita
01-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Odd, what adapter are you using to attach to the meade, I am about to attempt to fit a FT to Meade 10" ACF, I'll let oyu know how I go.

ChrisM
01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Peter,

The micro is not a crayford-style focuser - it's a dual-speed replacement for the original focusing knob, so it doesn't need an adapter.

Chris

Poita
03-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Ah, sorry, missed the 'micro' bit in my haste.