PDA

View Full Version here: : Sorry for the inclement weather

Octane
31-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Those of you who know me, know that I take my photography seriously.

I'm looking to take my photography in another direction, well, maybe not another direction, but, up a level. As such, I'd like to apologise for the deluge of rain and bad weather that's about to visit, particularly the Canberra region. :P

My medium format system arrived today from Japan.

Below are attached a couple of images showing the size of the behemoth in comparison to my other pro gear. This thing weighs about 3-3.5 kg, and, I've got more accessories to get for it, yet.

Once again, my profuse apologies. On the upside, I look forward to doing ridiculously large prints (I already do 36x24" on my Epson large format system).

Just had to share my happiness! :D

H

telemarker
31-10-2011, 07:10 PM
That a nice box brownie. Digital? (If you excuse my ignorance).:question:

peter_4059
31-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Impressive H - Is that a film back?

Stardrifter_WA
31-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Film! What is film? :D

Visionoz
31-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi H

Congrats on picking a good stable
Nice format that 6x7cm - especially the Mamiya RZ67 - mate the lenses are superb - very sharp and that's a good comfortable size format - used to own a few medium formats in my lifetime and now still have my Linhof Teknika Master V kit with 7 lenses (but I'm afraid that it is now all going to just showpieces soon!) with nice Sinar 6x17 rollfilm back for panoramas using 120 rollfilms BUT sheet film is getting too dear and digital is so cheap to cover up your mistakes!!!!

Enjoy and I know you will produce the goods!!:thumbsup:

Cheers
Bill

jjjnettie
31-10-2011, 08:12 PM
jeepers H. if you have that lot slung around your neck, don't go near any creeks or rivers. if you fall in, that's it, it'll be all over for you.
congrats on the purchase

jjjnettie
31-10-2011, 08:13 PM
it's spelt fillum......
get it right pete

koputai
31-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Beautiful!

H, when I was in Seoul in 2004, I stumbled across a camera shop, but not just any camera shop. This place only had medium format, and almost exclusively Mamiya! For someone who just loves Mamiya machines like me it was awesome.

Why did you have to buy it from Japan?

Cheers,
Jason.

TheDecepticon
31-10-2011, 08:45 PM
LOL! JJJ, he will just be able to turn up to sporting events with all that gear around his neck and they will just let him in!!:lol:

UniPol
31-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Nice gear.

RobF
31-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I'll keep the G11 and the Tak safe while you spurn them for these new toys if you want Humayun? :thumbsup:

peter_4059
31-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Can you still buy fillum? I haven't seen it at the Pharmacy in quite a few years. :D

Omaroo
31-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Good schtuff Humayun.

dugnsuz
31-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow H, you've got a nifty fifty!?:P

Ausrock
31-10-2011, 11:35 PM
I owned a Bronica SQ-am 6x6 for a long time and often regret selling it, maybe one day I'll indulge my "medium format passion" again. In the meantime I've got all my B&W processing gear stashed away :).

Octane
01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Keith and Peter, this one's not digital. However, I have the option of adding an adapter which will allow digital backs ranging from 22-80 megapixels at this current point in time. The digital backs are very expensive (think $18,500 for 40 megapixels, from memory) but the output is just sublime. Something to think about one day.

Bill, that sounds wonderful! Would you ever consider selling your Technika or the Sinar 617 back? I've always wanted a GX617! You're not wrong about sheet film being expensive. I just bought a bunch of 120 Velvia RVP50 off eBay for a reasonable price. I'm pretty sure the prolab I use for my wedding albums does slide scanning and will just get them to do it for me in the interim. There's also a prolab nearby that does drum scanning on Imacon's but they only save to JPG. Boo! I might just have to bite the bullet and get an Epson V750 Perfection.

Jeanette, thanks! I'm not sure how I'm going to go lugging it around. It is very, very heavy. Can't wait to take it to New Zealand or the Pacific Northwest with me, though. :)

Jason, a shop full of MF Mamiya? *dribble* I didn't have to buy it from Japan; I found one in mint condition and just had to have it. Now to go about finding the AE Finder. They're a little hard to come by these days. Plenty around for the 645 and 7, though.

Steve, thanks. :)

Rob, hah! Although, with the weather the way it is, the astro gear isn't seeing much use. :(

Peter, yep, film is available in copious quantities on eBay. Finding places to develop it for you is dwindling, though. I wonder how much time is left for film? Then again, a lot of pros are still shooting film. :shrug:

Chris, cheers! I'll bring it to Sydney next time I'm up. Being a camera afficionado, you will love it. :)

Doug, yes, the nifty fifty makes a great lens cap for the 1! :D

Chris, get it out, get nostalgic, and shoot some lovely chrome. :)

Thanks, all. I'm chuffed!

H

Jen
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
:eyepop: way to go H :thumbsup::thumbsup: just keep the bad weather up there to yourself can ya haha :lol: looking forward to seeing some more awsome pics from you buddy cheers ;)

troypiggo
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
All I can say is...

Ric
01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
A lovely piece of gear H, congratulations. :thumbsup:

Also commiserations on your impending poverty. :D

I should thank you for the wet weather over the weekend, it filled the dam and put about 6000 litres into the watertank.:thumbsup: