PDA

View Full Version here: : Extravision

melinda
31-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi all. I'm looking at getting some items from extravision in Queensland, has anybody got stuff from them before.

Stardrifter_WA
31-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes, and I haven't had any trouble with them.

Stardrifter_WA
31-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I just had a look and the last time I ordered anything from Extravision was two years ago. The items arrived well packed and on time.

Visionoz
31-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Are they in retail? I thought they were just distributors/wholesalers - Celestron used to be one of their lines but not anymore

Cheers
Bill

Blue Skies
01-11-2011, 12:17 AM
I didn't think you dealt direct with them either, they're mainly wholesalers. That said, I did receive something from them earlier this year (bought from a vendor, the gear then came direct from Extravision by the look of it) and it arrived safely and intact.

Stardrifter_WA
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
They still are a distributor but you can order direct from their website now.

Stardrifter_WA
01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi Blue Sky. I checked today regarding Extravision and they are now a website that anyone can order from. They used to be Celestron distributors but due to Celestron not allowing them to sell other brands brought an end to that distributorship, so now anyone can order directly from them. Nobody can survive selling only one brand of telescopes in Australia; the market isn't big enough. Also, the good news is that they will be distributing Explore Scientific refractors in Australia in the future when stock becomes available. I will keep everyone posted as I am looking at getting either a 127mm or 152mm Explore Scientific when they finally become available. My understanding is that ES stock is in short supply due to overseas demand.

Blue Skies
02-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Good to know. Interesting comment about Celestron. And the last comment I know only too well...

Stardrifter_WA
02-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi Jaqui (Blue Sky),

Yes, Celestron have restrictive practices! I have had correspondance with Celestron Corp over this. Just try ordering something from overseas. You can't, despite the fact that the distributor may not even stock it in Australia. I tried to order a Celestron Astrometric eyepiece but they had no stock in Australia and I couldn't get an answer to how long it would take to order. Apparently, Bintel had had them on back order for some time; at least that is what I was told.

I could have ordered it from the US and had it within a week, but I wasn't able, as US retail outlets are not allowed to sell outside the continental USA. Instead, I bought a Baader equivalent from Extravision, and frankly it seemed a much better eyepiece anyway, although more expensive.

In a fast paced and connected world, when a customer wants something, they want it now. If I can't get it quickly from my regular supplier I go elsewhere. But this is not always the case.

Celestron are now rather expensive in Australia, which I think is mostly due to the lack of outside competition. I have some indication that this may be in breach of free trade agreements. I have written to the ACCC about this but as yet haven't received a reply.

I have mostly supported Australian business that provides a price that is fairly comparable with the US prices. Bintel do really well here, as they are fairly close, considering freight, duties clearance, etc. I don't mind paying a little more to support Australian businesses.

But, having said that, I don't see why Australians should pay more than a comparable country. If a price is cheaper elsewhere I should be able to deal with whom I like. This is not a communist country...yet!

I know you may not agree with this, but I also import a lot of stuff from overseas, mostly because it is far cheaper, even with freight, than it is in Australia. I am not made of money and have to stretch what I have as far as I can, and I do fairly well at it. I don't take kindly to a company that says I have to pay more because I live in Australia.

I think Celestron products are great and I will continue to use them, but I simply refuse to support the Celestron Australian distributor. I will either only buy second hand Celestron equipment, or I will purchase it when I am overseas. Yes, there are warranty issues here and I take these into consideration which is why I mostly support Australia businesses, when this is an issue. And if I can't buy Celestron, I will buy a comparable product instead.

Retail business in Australia is hard, mostly because of the high overheads faced by business in this country. But, for retail to survive they must reinvent themselves. Businesses like Extravision and Bintel survive because they have a wide range of products and not just astronomy equipment.

Regards Stardrifter :)

casstony
03-11-2011, 11:16 AM
With luck the new Meade LX80 mount will put pressure on Celestron and force them to treat Australian consumers with a little respect. I see they're running scared in the US with the Nexstar 8SE on sale for $1000 - they seem to have forgotten us though.

Stardrifter_WA
03-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I already have the LX80 on order. Sadly, it won't be into Australia until January.

Stardrifter_WA
03-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Tony, don't hold your breath thinking Celestron will treat us with respect. It won't happen. I will still buy Celestron, but will not buy it in Australia and support Celestron Australia, ever. Absolutely not. Celestron Australia are owned and operated, not by an optics company, but by a kitchenware distributor, as far as I am aware. They think they can get away with putting the sorts of margins on Celestron products that they put on their kitchenware products. At least, that is what it seems like. I also recognise that this may not even be the case and that Celestron just charge them more as we are a very rich country. I suspect this may be the case given the wide price differences between Australia and the US.

Celestron Corp advised me that Celestron products are more expensive in Australia due to freight, which the US doesn't have. I found this argument to be a little strange, particularly since everything is now made in China and shipped overseas. I can't see freight to Australia as being any more expensive than to the US. and even if it was a bit more expensive I doubt that it would fully account for the differential.

:mad2: My real issue with Celestron is their restrictive practice that prevents me from ordering items from my preferred suppliers, even if it is in the US. In a global economy I should be able to get it anywhere and not be told that I HAVE to buy it in Australia.

I hope to challenge Celestron on their international practices and have written to the US Government as there are indications they are in breach of US trade practices and free trade agreements. I just wish I was a lawyer and could understand these trade practices.

casstony
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Peter, out of curiousity, are you able to cancel your order if the mount gets bad reviews in the US? It seems like Americans will have the LX80 some weeks before it gets to Australia.

Stardrifter_WA
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi Casstony,

Bintel have these on order for stock and I have reserved one, pending reviews. Comparing the price of the LX80 to other similar mounts makes the LX80 quite attractive. Unless the reviews are terrible, which I don't expect they will be, I will go ahead and get one for my ED80. I also don't expect it to be perfect either, considering the price. The price point is the reason for my definite interest in this mount.