PDA

View Full Version here: : Inclinometer

EddieDog
26-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi all, am, was, is, will be, setting up a HEQ5 Pro. Looking at getting accurate Declination set. Currently have a bubble pertractor (strange looking beast) from Bunnings, quite nice but don't really know how accurat it is, would like a digital read-out. Have seen a couple of ipod apps that profess to be very good. Anyone tried one? And, is there anywhere in Perth you can buy a real one?\

Eddie

taminga16
26-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi,
Carbatec in Perth stock these.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/images/hires/AFB-LD220.jpg

Greg.

dannat
26-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Trouble with the iphone ones is getting the phone to sit level /straight, I have one it's ok but not very accurate

originaltrilogy
26-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I check my iPhone4 one with protractor/plumbob and it dead accurate. I do the calibration though. I use the one fro
Plaincode.com and only use flat side of phone obviously. I like it, has option for red screen as well.

issdaol
26-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I have one of these which is a great unit. Very tough and reliable and accurate.

http://www.measumax.com/35-204

Allan_L
26-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I got a Digital one from Bunnings. About $25.(maybe a little more)
It seems fairly accurate IMHO.

I spoke to a surveyor's supplies retailer and the ones they use retail for around $200.

But the Bunnings one has all the features I need, and well priced.

Steffen
26-10-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm also using the iPhone (Clinometer app). It gives amazingly accurate and repeatable results. You have to calibrate against a known vertical or horizontal surface first, or course.

Cheers
Steffen.

EddieDog
27-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks, Yes, this is the one I was looking at. They will have an ipod one which will work on my wife's ipod touch
Eddie

EddieDog
27-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Ta Allen, will take another look. When last in Bunnings Ocean Reef they didn't have one, may check out the one in Whitford

Eddie

mikerr
27-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I have both of these purchased from CTC. Shipping is very reasonable.

http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-467/DIGITAL-BEVEL-BOX-%26/Detail

http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-468/DIGITAL-LEVEL-%26-PROTRACTOR/Detail

Michael

Visionoz
27-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Yep Eddie - if you do find one in Bunnings please post which suburb - I've been to many Bunnings store over the last 2.5 years in Perth and have not been able to get my hands on one yet! YMMV

In fact I was supposed to get the SKU from a IIS-er here but never heard from him again !:sadeyes:

HTH
Cheers
Bill

bmitchell82
28-10-2011, 01:52 AM
Yeah i have one of those they work pretty well :) but i rarely use it now days as the software takes care of it pretty quickly.

EddieDog
28-10-2011, 09:58 PM
OK, thanks to all. No, not been able to find one in any bunning in perth so far. So downloaded the 'Clinomoter' from itunes, wouldn't install at all from the pc, but when logged on direct from ipod touch (v5.0) downloded direct to the thing and bingo, worked. Seems quite good, will be using it to check angle of mount, and compare with the strange protactor thing I got from bunnnings, which does appear to work fine but difficult to clearly identify calibration marks. With digital read out on the app, better, once I had changed its display from percent to angle. Also, it has a red illumination, good for night, but won't be caliabrating mount at night..ahhh famous last words. Now looking for digital compass, but seems the better ones don't work with ipod touch, only iphone or ipad, neither of which we have.

Thanks to all

Eddie

Poita
31-10-2011, 12:27 AM
You won't get a suitable compass app for your iPod, it doesn't have the necessary internals, but a standard orienteering compass is cheap and perfect for the job.

EddieDog
31-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi Peter, I do have a good standard compass.

Eddie

ReaPerMan
02-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Try theodolite from itunes it combines the inclinometer with the ability to use the camera and compass features. It's quite accurate and might give you the best of both worlds.

all the best

Paul :thumbsup:

EddieDog
03-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks Paul, I'll take a look
Eddie