PDA

View Full Version here: : Overloading CG5GT mount?

Jbunky86
23-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Hi everyone I currently have a C8 on a CG5GT mount and I was thinking of getting a carbon fiber ED80 To mount on top for visual and imaging using a cannon eos 1100d, which is a pretty light DSLR.
Can anyone tell me if this would be overloading the mount? I have done some weighing and rough calculations, including accessories and it looks like it would be at 70% of the mounts total capacity.

Has anyone done anything similar? Would I be over loading the mount? Because I'm still after accuracy after doing this. I would like to keep this mount because anything with higher capacity is getting pretty big and harder to transport.

Thanks jas

brian nordstrom
23-10-2011, 11:09 AM
:)Hi Jas, I dont think the weight will be an issue , plenty of good astrophotos have been done using that set uo , but its the little extra weight thats further from the centre of ballence that makes it harder to acheive good results , hence ballence becomes very critical .
Good luck and hope to see a few :question:photos soon
Brian.

Jbunky86
23-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Hi thanks Brian, yes alot of the guys said the same thing on another forum. As in balance is critical and there was mention of going side by side would be better for keeping weight more central, even though side by side mount weighs more.

Cheers

g__day
24-10-2011, 09:30 AM
From memory I had a C9.25 + 80mm Meg - quite heavy - and a Canon 400D on a CG5 - using 15kgs of counterweights.

That pushed it to its limits - but it managed it just (for astrophotograpy) doing under 5 mintue auto guided subs - on good (not windy days).

The more I read stories of mounts with problems - the more I love the Atlux I upgraded too. It carries the same gear + a 5" MAK, OAG, Losmandy bars, motor focusers etc.... This set up points in the low tens of arc seconds accuracy and tracks superbly. I find 30 minute subs at 2.3 metre focal lengths routinely easy - I'm blessed!

One day all my gear will likely end up on a paramount class mount - but the story for you is if you balance, shelter and set up your gear really well you'll likely be happy with it!

Poita
24-10-2011, 12:13 PM
What's an Atlux worth?

g__day
24-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Brand new around $7K - I bought second hand - saved nicely!

Plus I got the model with the SkySensor2000-PC and upgraded it to the latest EPROMS. Personally I think its far, far more capable than the Skybook version.

bmitchell82
24-10-2011, 04:36 PM
In relation to over mounting its not just about balance.

as g-day said wind protection is a massive point but one of the biggest points is actually your mounts tuning eg backlash, meshing and the like utilizing a oag system will also push your mount further than without it.

My EQ6 is a testiment to this notion although i have got the over all weight down under 25kgs now I can run it with the 10" newt, ED 80, all cameras qhy9 mono, canon 40D, guiding and the like which is about 27kgs and still get round stars but i have adjusted and polished that white turd like you wouldn't believe!

So number one get your mount tuned and adjusted
number two, balance it well
number three, make sure its a still night
number four, enjoy your time :)

Brendan:thumbsup:

brian nordstrom
24-10-2011, 08:18 PM
;)Jason I bieleve its best to have the balance so its a little towards the bottom , eg. the weight is falling down onto the RA drive as it climbs , that takes care of any back lash :thumbsup:
Only a little ! mind .
Brian.

Jbunky86
02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Good advice
Thanks guys

Poita
03-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I think you should upgrade to a paramount right away!

(and then sell me your Atlux, cheap!)