PDA

View Full Version here: : A question for Solar observers

barx1963
22-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I am considering (as in the SWMBO has given permission, just got to decide if I can spare the $$$) going on the S&T tour of Hawaii next year for the Transit.
As the info provided doesn't mention anything about gear I assume I would need to pack a solar scope. Any recomendations for suitable portable piece of kit?
At this stage I am not thinking imaging unless I can work out a VERY portable system. I am thinking the Double Stacked PST but would be keen to hear views of more experienced Solar watchers.

Thanks

Malcolm

Paul Haese
22-10-2011, 10:33 PM
That is a good choice Malcolm. The PST is very light and double stacked shows a fair bit of detail. Venus during transit will look pretty nice as a black circle ont he Ha surface.

You could also consider a ED80 with a white light filter but I reckon the Ha system will give a more interesting result.

barx1963
23-10-2011, 12:16 PM
A further thought, if I did want to try hand at imaging the event, anyone had any experience with using an Astro-trac with a PST for solar use? I note they can be set to a solar tracking rate, getting it polar aligned in daylight would be an interesting challenge.