PDA

View Full Version here: : 3.3 Magnitude Tremor last night

Paul Haese
19-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Woken about 2:30 am this morning by a mag 3.3 tremor last night. Quite a loud bang and then the rumble off into the distance. Last one here was last year and a bit over 4 mag. Bit of excitment for the morning. :)

TheDecepticon
19-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi Paul, same as!

Was quite a bit of noise where we are, including walls shaking(minor) and pictures rattling(loud).:eyepop:

First ever experience, and I must say, it gives you a bit of appreciation for what it must be like for the people involved in some of the larger ones around the world of recent times.:question:

DJ N
19-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Woke us up this morning as well. Very loud (I am in the western suburbs). My 9 year old daughter was woken as well. She was a bit frightened and excited at the same time!!

It really gives you an appreciation of what the people in Christchurch, Japan etc.. go through. Must be scary when the ground is rocking and buildings collapsing.

Cheers,

Daniel

DJ N
19-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Actually Paul, you probably would have been pretty close to the epicentre?

Paul Haese
19-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes Danny, I just learned the epicenter was at Upper Sturt which is around 2 kms from us. For us there was more the loud bang, then the rumble but not much shaking.

ZeroID
19-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Not necessarily so. The waves from the epicemtre travel out and quite often you will get more lateral shaking quite a few kilometers away from the source. All to do with frequency and the type of quake it is.

strongmanmike
19-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Oh oh...another T-Point SCP run? :P

OICURMT
19-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Ya, I happened to be in my home in Belair, woke up just before it hit, as my bedroom window rattled just before the house started to... pretty minor, at least I got right back to sleep.

Epicenter was in Blackwood... heard on the radio centered around Pole Rd (Near Upper Sturt I think)

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc0006b4x.php#details

OIC!

Paul Haese
19-10-2011, 10:28 PM
OIC, they have been saying Upper Sturt, but that is not Blackwood. Blackwood is 3kms from Upper Sturt. Glenalta is between Blackwood and Upper Sturt.

I never got any rattling, just the bang and then the rumble away.

I have not heard of anyone sleeping through it yet.

csb
19-10-2011, 10:47 PM
I woke a few minutes before - for no reason. Just in time to hear some distant booming with a few deep bass noises. The bedroom window also sounded like someone threw a stone at it a fraction before the rumbling. The noise was faint but distinct and lasted from 1 - 2 seconds.

Sounded like thunder but something about the noise was not quite right and I thought it was probably a tremor. In the morning I listened to the radio news for confirmation.

This is my 2nd tremor. Last was in daytime in about 1985.

michaellxv
19-10-2011, 11:36 PM
I slept through it, mind you I had only gone to bed an hour earlier.
It woke my wife up, she said 'What was that', apparantly I mumbled something and rolled over. :lol:

But, did the birds know it was coming?
They seemed more noisy than usual in the trees about midnight when I was still out. And I saw a flock flying aroung in the dark.

Astroman
20-10-2011, 06:34 AM
I did :D Never heard or felt a thing. Just to add to this, every other member of the house heard it though.

Mliss
20-10-2011, 08:35 PM
this is currently going around on facebook

:P

Paul Haese
20-10-2011, 09:17 PM
:lol:

dugnsuz
20-10-2011, 11:31 PM
@Mel
LOL

ps... glad to hear you sustained no damage Paul. When I heard the epicentre was Blackwood, first persons I thought of was you and your beloved!

Paul Haese
22-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks Doug for the concern. :) All is well mate, all is well. :thumbsup: