PDA

View Full Version here: : Off to Spain and Portugal!!

Liz
18-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Well, the time has finally arrived as I prepare to head down to Brisvegeas tomorrow, to fly off to Europe!!:eyepop:

Have 6 weeks travelling and exploring these countries, and am very excited. Have heard so many beautiful accounts of the stunning countryside, little medievil villages topped by a looming castles, snow capped mountains, the white washed villages, acres of olives groves and vines, stunning architecture and mooooore. :love:

Have 4 days in Madrid, then head to Segovia, Salamanca, Ponferrado, Santiago ... then into Portugal to porto, Tomar, lisbon, Evora and Elvas. Back into Spain to Seville, Ronda, Granada, Alicante, Valencia, Zaragoza and San Sebastian. Lots of day tripsout from these towns too. I then catch the train and head into France up to Paris for my last weekend on the 1st and 2nd December. :D

I am doing my own thing, exploring where I want to go, and aim to see maany castles!! Doing it solo, on trains and buses. :)

Quite a few of the hotels I will stay have wifi, so will hop on IIS and catch up with what is going on. Also taking my Canon this trip, so will take some pics of the N.Hem skies, with maybe a comet. ;)

Take care all, and I will be back ..... adios amigos. :cool:

traveller
18-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Take care Liz, if you have a day spare in Portugal, go to Orbidos, you will not be dissapointed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93bidos,_Portugal
Adios
Bo

supernova1965
18-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Have fun Liz expect lots of pic's:thumbsup:

jjjnettie
18-10-2011, 10:25 AM
:D Enjoy your trip Liz. I'm really looking forward to seeing the pics.
My sister was over there earlier this year and loved it.
Take care and stay safe.

Octane
18-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Liz,

Any chance you can fit me in your suitcase?

Envious doesn't even cut it. :)

Have a wonderful time, and stay safe.

H

Liz
18-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Yes, Orbidos is definitely of my list Bo, looks gorgeous!!

No worries about that Warren - i took 1000 up at Darwin over 12 days, and have quite a few SD cards this time. :D

Thankyou jjj, i will have a ball, though am a bit scared at the moment of what lies ahead, but will be OK when I get over there.

Thankyou H, my poor case is crammed, so will have to try and ditch a few more things!! Iwill have a wonderful time, no doubt about that. ;)

TrevorW
18-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Take me I'm better looking than H and I don't eat much !!!

Liz
18-10-2011, 12:46 PM
:lol::lol: I do hear that H is a bit of a looker, so you must be veery easy on the eye Trevor. :D

Mliss
18-10-2011, 12:47 PM
:lol:

You must be super excited!!! Looking forward to hearing all your stories and seeing your pics when to get back.

Take care Liz :2thumbs:

barx1963
18-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Safe travels Liz. The missus and I were talking about adding Portugal to the trip we hope to do in 2013, so will be interested to hear how you get on. Did visit Lisbon as a 6yo in 1969 enroute to the UK on a ship, turned out they were in the middle of a coup or revolution so there were tanks and soldiers everywhere. Should be a bit more peaceful these days.

Malcolm

Ric
18-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Have a great trip Liz.

It sounds like a fantastic holiday.

erick
18-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Make sure you barrack for the right side! :help:

Travel safely Liz!

leon
18-10-2011, 02:37 PM
You lucky duck, hope it a great experience for you Liz, stay safe, :thumbsup: you don't go past Bali do you.:shrug: :P :lol:

Leon :thumbsup:

gary
18-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi Liz,

Lucky you! Have a wonderful trip!

I am sure one of your day trips out of Madrid will be to the amazing World Heritage
listed city of Toledo. Apart from getting lost in the labyrinth of narrow streets,
highly recommend to take a walk up the road out of town to the hill that overlooks
the town for an unforgettable view.

See image here (click to enlarge) -
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Tagus-Toledo.JPG

North of Zaragoza in Aragon, there are some nice quiet Pyrenees valleys to
explore such as up Valle de Hecho if you wish to escape the hustle and bustle.

Portugal is also a great destination to explore and you don't have to go far off the
main highways and onto the maze of country roads to find yourself in another world.

We look forward to the pictures.

Liz
18-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Thankyou all again.:)

Yes, Gary, definitely plan to head north from Zaragoza on a day trip to the mountains/Pyrenees. Had wanted to stay up a bit higher, but the logistics were too much.

I hear that bullfights are now banned in Spain, I havent followed this up to be sure though.

Suzy
18-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Going solo is probably the best way to go as you get to do your own thing without feeling guilty or stressed. :thumbsup:
Enjoy Liz, stay safe, and I very much look forward to your pics and travel story updates. :D

Liz
18-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Dont mind it all Suzy, as you say, noone there to annoy you, amnd it doesnt take much these days!!

Hope my FB amigos dont get sick of this trip, as I plan to post quite a few pics there ... daily. :D

Liz
26-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Hola all!!

Well, my first time on IIS fro awhile so will need to have a look around to see what is going on!!

Have had 4 days in MAdrid, and now in Segovis, NW of MAdrid - a bful little town with old city with cathedral and castle etc, but a huge and amazingly well preserved 2000 yr old aqueduct visible from my window!!

All is good, not many stars viewed yet, tho a bright one the other am, proved to be Sirius!!

Enjoying a nice red .. . adios all :D

FJA
26-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Unfortunately not in all of Spain, only in Catalonia.

Have a great trip, it's a nice part of the world.

jjjnettie
26-10-2011, 08:35 AM
:) hope you're having a ball Liz. Take care.

erick
26-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Glad to hear that you are having a great time, Liz. Thanks for letting us know you are safe and enjoying....

Mariposa
27-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Enjoy your Spanish tour and ole!

Liz
29-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Now in the golden city of Salamanca, very pretty indeed, and the people are a bit friendlier here.
Have adored the castles I have seen, have a passion for them, just a few little pics. :)

Pics are - Avila the walled city,
The amazing aqueduct in Segovia
The majestic Coca Castle
Coca Castle again
The fairytale castle alcazar in Segovia.

Ric
29-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Great shots Liz, I have a bit of a fascination with castles as well. It would be great to live in one but I don't know if I'd like the heating bill though.:lol:

Liz
09-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Onwards, onwards .... from Salamanca, to Ponferrado with its great little castle, to Santiago with its magnificent cathedral, then into beautiful Portugal. Had 4 days on Porto - what a gorg place, with some great views down by the River, with restaurants, old buildings etc.
Onto Tomar, with an amazing 15th Century convent surrounded by a castle, then to Sintra, where I am now. Its about 1/2 hr from lisbon.
All going well, and have seen some amazing sights.
Loving Portugal - people here are friendlier and gentler, magnificent scenery, and a bit more English understood and spoken The bus drivers even smile here!! :D
Alas, rain has set in, and I think I am in the clouds, literally!!

1 - Ponferaddo Knights of Templar Castle
2 - Santiago Cathedral
3 - Salamanca Cathedral
4 - Beautiful Porto
5 - Guimareas Castle near Porto
6 - Tomar (castle on the hill at top)
7 - Tomar Castle
8 - cheap bananas - Equador I think!!

erick
09-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks Liz. I'm enjoying your trip! Stay safe.

Liz
29-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Geeze, I havent posted for ages! Time flies.
Back into Spain after enjoying Portugal. My last few days in Portugal involved a great your of some prehistoric sites. Fabulous! Another lot of standing stones older than stonehenge!
So, into Spain to Seville which I loved, then to a stunning Ronda on a gorge, then to Granada with its fabulous alhambra.onwards to alicante and valencia, and presently in a freezing zaragoza.
Head to san. Sebastian tomorrow, them finish with two days in Paris, and fly out Sat night!
All been great. Alas. Netbook has died so no pics. Warren el have that under control when I get back home.
Am writing this on my phone so sorry for mistakes, tho better than I was.
Catch yas next week!!:)

Kevnool
29-11-2011, 05:36 AM
See ya later world traveller.
Keep enjoying.

Cheers Kev.