PDA

View Full Version here: : IceTrade - now requires 5+ posts and 1 month before being able to Place an Ad

iceman
16-10-2011, 05:38 PM
We had this rule back in the early days, but removed it after a few years because it seemed more of a hindrance than a help.

After a few issues with a very small minority of sales, it's been suggested to re-instate this kind of rule again.

So we'll give it a shot again.

Interestingly though, the issues were with members who would not have been affected by this rule anyway - so don't think this is a solution to all your potential problems as a buyer. You still should take all of your necessary precautions when buying off the internet.

New members are now UNABLE to create threads in the IceTrade Classifieds until:
- They have been a member for over 1 month, AND
- They have made at least 5 posts in any section.

I'm sorry to genuine new members who sign up to sell stuff, and now have to wait - it's buyers who may miss out but we'll see how it goes.

This rule does not affect new members signing up to buy stuff through IceTrade. They can still reply to threads and PM users.

Members who do NOT meet the required criteria will see the attached notice in the IceTrade Forums. The notice will disappear once they are able to post ads.

BlackWidow
16-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi Mike.. I did post this on another thread. Why don't you make it that to be able to sell on IIS you need to complete a personal details lodgment? IE. Phone number, Address or even DL details in order to sell on this site. I know it is not fool proof, but would help with information should a series of problems arise. I do understand that you have better things to do than getting involved in resolving sales issues and that is not my suggestion. However when a member has committed fraud (this has now happened a few times) This information could be supplied to the Police...

I guess the main focus of this idea is that it may stop this kind of person from using the site for wrong doing...

Thanks however for what you are doing to assist in this matter, for all your members..

Very Best Regards
Mardy

wasyoungonce
16-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi Mardy well I guess it's possible to give false details on this and IIS probably doesn't have time to chase & police this.

Then there is the issue of keeping these details safe.

But it does have merit.:)

Dennis
16-10-2011, 07:55 PM
I suspect that the owners/operators of Ice In Space are pretty much like us - they have families, full time jobs and other hobbies, so spare time would be at a premium.

They do not have the resources of say, legal systems, financial systems, law enforcement, etc nor do they get salaries for their "spare time" work in running the Forum and dealing with the unwelcome and unsavoury dishonesty when it arises.

A difficult balance to get right.:shrug:

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers

Dennis

DavidTrap
16-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Mike should not be our intermediary. I also wouldn't be happy to hand over my details for him to keep just in case - hackers would love to go trawling through his server for such personal information. Identity fraud is alive and well unfortunately.

If you want to involve a 3rd party, use Cash on Delivery with Australia Post. I used it for a purchase of several hundred dollars a while ago. Something didn't feel right about the seller, so when they offered to use CoD, I thought why not. I opened the box in front of the post office staff and when I was sure I had my item, I swiped my card through the post office EFTPOS machine which was converted to a money order back to the seller. It added about $30-50 in charges to the transaction, but there was no risk for either the seller or purchaser.

DT

cventer
16-10-2011, 10:10 PM
My view is buyer beware. Nothing you can do to stop fraud. Be sure to get all the details you can off someone you are buying from and verify them first as much as possible.

The more pressure on Mike to somehow police this the more likely Classifieds will just get shut down.

Allan_L
18-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Didn't take long for someone to work out a way around it !
check out Post #3 in the 6SE For Sale Thread. :question:

iceman
18-10-2011, 04:58 AM
I don't really think that's trying to work around it - he's interested in the scope for sale and is offering a trade.

iceman
18-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Agree. I have absolutely no interest in being a part of any or all transactions on IceTrade. It's an extra layer that just is not needed if people are careful.

Allan_L
18-10-2011, 07:28 AM
I couldn't agree more Mike.

I just thought it was an interesting development.
From my own experience of replying to WANTED threads, if the person publicly approached does not take up the deal, there will be others who offer to buy. Effectively bypassing the ban.

Caveat emptor!

iceman
19-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Members who do NOT meet the required criteria will see the attached notice in the IceTrade Forums. The notice will disappear once they are able to post ads.

stephenb
20-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Look anything like this cannot hurt, so good on Mike for implementing this.

dugnsuz
30-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Positive move for a bit of security and some peace of mind for buyer/seller.

Australian Photography Forum classifieds requires...
"Must be 100+ Posts or Premium Member (Subscribed Member)."

The 'dodgy' will always find a workaround, but any small measure of safety is fine by me.
Doug

supernova1965
23-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi all,

If you want to have security with purchases use Paypal or direct deposit completely safe for the seller and buyer alike I usually shy away from making purchases from sellers that make it difficult to pay for the item and I know with Paypal you have buyer and seller protection and I believe the buyer has a course of action it something goes wrong after a direct deposit also.:D

Vega1
16-02-2012, 03:56 AM
Hi,
I found your site tonight and thought would be cool to join and sell a couple of eyepieces I no longer need. But low and behold, I cant.
Not really sure of the purpose of not allowing customers to sell or place wanted adds etc.It makes no sense at all.
Have never seen anything like this in 15 yrs online.
I was also really wanting to purchasing an item but now cant place an add for that.
Re-think of treating new customers a little better may be in order iceinspace.

Terry B
16-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Very simple reason. It reduces scammers and sadly there have been a few(very) times this has happened. Selling stuff is very much a secondary reason for the site to exist. Look at a few threads and add your wisdom. You might find it enlightening.:D

astroron
16-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Read all the above posts, and also as said elsewhere and you will see the reason behind the rule.
If you joined iceinspace just to sell something then it is not best reason to do so IMHO.:(
Cheers :thumbsup:

GeoffW1
16-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi Greg,

You would be very welcome to hang around for a while, try it :thumbsup:. Post a few posts telling us what you like to do, and your equipment and so forth. You will soon be able to post in the Ice Trades, if that is still foremost on your agenda.

As Terry has said, IIS is not really here primarily to provide somewhere for people to swoop in from the cloud and advertise their stuff for sale. We'd like to know you just a bit, first. I don't think of myself here as a passive customer :D.

Cheers

Forgey
17-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi Greg,

IceInSpace is not only the community the requires you be a member for a period of time before being able to trade in the trading forums.
Overclockers Australia have been around since 2001 http://forums.overclockers.com.au and require you to be a member for 90 days before you are able to trade in their trading forums.
So its not all that unusual.

stephenb
18-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Very simple reasons which have already been clearly explained. It makes perfect sense. In fact I personally would put more restrictions on 5 post-minimum!

Regarding your last line, people here are not "customers". Why not introduce yourself in the beginners sections, tell us a bit about yourself and your interests in the hobby? This is a community forum after all but if you're just after a site to flog your gear, eBay or the Trading Post would be more suitable.

ballaratdragons
18-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Apart from here I am a member in a Mitsubishi Forum, a Ford Forum, a Guitar Forum, a Harley Forum among others and almost ALL of them require lengthy membership times for their sale sections, some with minimum 100 posts!
This one is quite easy.
But also be aware that this isn't a Buy/Sell website. It is a community that happens to have a Buy/Sell section.

Vega1
21-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Sounding an aweful lot like a boys club with some rather unfriendly statements made to someone simply wanting to place an add but agree that having to wait a month is rather silly to say the least.
I only found this site whilst looking to purchase an item and I was wanting to actually place an add but now cant. It does not mean people who find the site to place an add are only interested in that. I have found a lot of useful info reading the threads but still cant post an add.
Anyone wanting to scam etc is not going to worry about waiting to do it. And thats what paypal is for.

DavidTrap
21-02-2012, 07:40 AM
It seems to me you believe your "rights are being infringed" by this requirement.

What about everyone else's "rights"?

The requirements are hardly onerous.

Most people involved in astronomy are fairly conservative. They are careful with whom they spend their money. Tells us a bit about yourself, because you haven't created a great impression with me thus far.

DT

DT

asimov
21-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Yep. I won't be buying anything off anyone here unless I know them. I know at least half of you, & therefore would purchase from you without batting an eyelid. Anyone new, well I'll be wanting to see you actually PARTICIPATE in the forum before I bother with purchases.

Ripped off too many times, but not from here.

xstream
21-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Greg,

I think you need to familiarise yourself with the "Terms of service" (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/announcement.php?f=4&a=3).
By using these forums you have read and agree to the TOS. Just remember it is not a public forum they are owned and maintained by Mike and Terry.

BTW welcome to IIS and as others have said make yourself known and you'll soon find your post limit and time restriction will have quickly passed. :)

mill
21-02-2012, 12:33 PM
As long as you don't have to pay money to the owners of this forum you are certainly not a customer, i find the word customer on a open forum a weird word used.
We are all just participants and the line "Re-think of treating new customers a little better may be in order iceinspace" makes my neck hair stand up a little :mad2:
I would after this, not buy anything from you out of principle.
I have sold items and also send items to people here on the forum without actually seeing the money in my bank account because most people on this forum are trustworthy and have been here for years.
Just my 2 Cents.

GeoffW1
21-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi,

I'd have to say that it still sounds a bit as though you feel that the whole of IIS ought to just meekly fall in line with what you reckon is sensible. I don't think that waiting a month is silly at all, it is a bare minimum, IMHO.

I repeat my earlier invitation, hang around, post a few posts, tell us what you like to do, where you have been, the gear you like etc etc, and you will soon be an IIS regular.

Don't think either that everyone here is otherwise always polite and sweet to each other, that's far from true. :rofl:Expressing yourself in a blunt way and having others do the same to you, that's fairly routine here (until the moderators call a halt). :lol:

Cheers

iceman
23-02-2012, 10:08 AM
I've cleaned up the last 5 posts - I think enough has been said now. This thread is here for new members to see why there's a limit.

Let's not take it off-topic or into bizzaro world.