PDA

View Full Version here: : North of Adelaide

entity62
14-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi,
I am looking for a place North of Adelaide to go viewing for a week.
The place needs to be inside telstras nextG network, and able to park caravan, with genny ringing its guts out. (not wanting to disturb people).
And it needs to be DARK..

cheers Darrell

KenGee
14-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Try the southern flinders around Laura. There are a lot of places to park a caravan or you can stay in the small town parks and just go to a dark site at night.

Jules76
14-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Sorry I don't have anything really to add, I just saw your location. Small world! I grew up and went to primary school in Salisbury Downs. :)

Didn't think there would be many amatuer astronomers out that way. :question:

Astroman
15-10-2011, 05:49 AM
There are a few of us.

Hey Darrell what is wrong with the Burra area? not allowed to have genn's running there? Oh might be out of mobile reach too... Try and get in contact with the owner at the Star Cattle Observatory at Black Springs he has a little 0.8m telescope there :D Paul Haese might know who I am talking about, his name is on the tip of my tongue but cannot remember it. He has a nice setup there loads of room and as you know, dark skies out that way. A little closer to Adelaide but not sure on mobile coverage in that area.

Paul Haese
15-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Ian Bedford mate. Large scope; every man and his dog has been there except me.

You could also try south. Clayton Bay has a dark sky policy. Skies are around 21.6 on SQM, that is pretty dark. It also has a great caravan park.

You could try east too. Head for any of the small towns up the river land or out at Walkers Flat. Nice and dark there too. Great during the day and a caravan park.

In the north there is Wirrabra which is good and might suit your needs.

Virgs
15-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Andrew, Ian's set up is private and he does not have room for another caravan on site. Darrell, Burra is in telstra phone coverage and there are many dark sites around there to chose from.

Astroman
15-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks for that Virgs, thought it was private, but wasn't sure.

Hagar
15-10-2011, 09:44 PM
You could try the old copper mine in Burra. Lots of high areas above the town where you could park a van.