PDA

View Full Version here: : Watermarks, how dose one do this please

leon
13-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Guys, I was just wondering if someone could tell me how to put a water mark on ones photo's, just like i see here from time to time.

Do you have to get a special bit of software, or is there another trick to it, much appreciated in advance.

Leon :thumbsup:

Octane
13-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Do you have Photoshop, Leon?

The simplest method is to create a text layer, type your name, the copyright logo (alt+0169, on the numeric keypad) and the year. Move it to a location on the image which isn't going to detract from your image, et voila!

H

TrevorW
13-10-2011, 05:35 PM
These PS watermarks can be removed fairly easily, if you are serious about protecting the image there is professional software to embed the watermark within the image data available at a cost

leon
13-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Many thanks guys I will have a little play and see what happens, I have PS but it is not the newer version.

Leon

Octane
13-10-2011, 08:36 PM
It'll be fine, mate. As long as you can click the T button to start creating text, you'll be right.

Once you've written your text, press Ctrl+T to select the current layer, move the mouse inside the text and you can then click and drag (and, even resize using the control points you'll see) anywhere you like on the image.

H

hotspur
13-10-2011, 08:37 PM
ah,thanks-always wondered how StephenM and Dennis got that little C logo.

Thanks so much!

leon
13-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Lol, you too Chris.

Leon

Octane
13-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Start > Run > charmap (and press Enter)

That brings up the Character Map, in Windows.

From there, you can copy and paste all manner of exotic symbols.

H

leon
13-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Well that dose work, but adding text to a photo, is some thing i have done forever, I thought i could create a water mark and just add it to any image, something like an already prepared logo of sorts.

Is this possible.

Leon

ChubbyStarstuff
13-10-2011, 09:21 PM
You can use a process called steganography if you want a really secure watermark. It embeds the data within the image data, but you can't see it unless you specifically check for it.

You can control how much it changes the image, and even specify to embed the watermark in the contrast/brightness data and so on.

There are free packages out there, but I haven't looked in on the field for quite a while.

Steganos was one software developer with free and professional editions. And you generally get what you pays for!

Hope this helps!
-Pete

Octane
13-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Yes, it's a similar concept.

Basically, you would create an image with transparency instead of a background. So, create a new Photoshop document, and make sure that the background is not set to black or white, but transparent. You would then create your logo inside this document and save it as either a GIF, or preferably, a PNG document.

In a nutshell, you would copy and paste that image over the top of the photograph you wish to place it on, flatten the image, and then save.

H

leon
13-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks H, now we are getting there, I'll keep at it mate.

Leon

TrevorW
13-10-2011, 10:18 PM
As I said creating watermarks in PS is not a guaranteed way of securing your images

this tutorial may help

http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photography-tutorials/workflow/creating-safe-and-effective-watermarks.html

hotspur
14-10-2011, 08:28 AM
really good thread=some good info here, thanks

I sort of figured out a bit,see image,not water marking as such but sometimes
its nice to leave a small bit of info on a image,I'll try and get that little c logo at the end of name like Dennis and Stephen M do.
I have seen images on a forum by one chap,and there good images,but I find the fellows watermark very distracting,and feel a buyer might be turned off.So there is a fair bit of balance and work involved in getting it to work well.

Those advanced programs,while costly would be of a great use to more serious photographers.I see one person here mentioned they had a rally car image they took stolen and used by a car team,and no acknowledgement to photographer=that is rally bad.Occasionally when someone wants to use an image I take,they approach me and something is worked out.That suits all.

ZeroID
14-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Yup, me the Rally Photog. As I said in the other thread go to www.snapfiles.com (http://www.snapfiles.com) in the free section, tab up top right and check out the various graphics applications they have, all free and good stuff. There is definitely a few watermarking apps in there that will batch or add personalised watermarks to your pix. Again, if the pic is important or possibly valuable then place the water mark on some important part of the pic, not in the corner where it can be cropped out.

RAJAH235
14-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi Leon,
Just to throw another one at you...
I use Faststone Photo Resizer, from...
> http://www.faststone.org/
An excellent, free program that has a few neat features, like adding text,
a watermark at any visible level etc etc.

Might be a little easier than creating a layer etc in PS.

Give it a try.

Did I mention, it's free?

Oh, & it also resizes as well.

Regs, Laurie..

leon
14-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks Laurie, PS is really making life difficult, writing text on a photo is fine, i have done that for years, just want to do something different, no worries. I'll get there.

Leon