PDA

View Full Version here: : IOS 5 update

Visionoz
13-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Anyone here has updated their iPhone 4 to IOS 5 and not have any issues since its release?

Cheers
Bill

Poita
13-10-2011, 02:43 PM
No issues so far. They really seemed to address the issues that drove me nuts on the iPhone.
I'm a developer and have been playing with it for a little while now.

Like all updates though, plug your phone in and let is sync and backup first.
That way if anything goes wrong, you just do a restore and you are back where you were before the update - no dramas.

tlgerdes
13-10-2011, 04:45 PM
If it loads on OK you seem to fine, lots of reports of the upgrade process not going to plan, even to the extent of creating iBricks.

I would wait a couple of days to let the hysteria and the load on Apples servers die down.

Omaroo
13-10-2011, 04:53 PM
I tried early this morning and it failed on both my iPhone 4 and iPad. Nothing damaged at all - just failed to verify with their server. I put it down to 5 times ten to the twelth people flogging their servers today, because Lion also had upgrades as did many apps such as iTunes, iWork and others - and they were all released on the same day. Wow - across all their major platforms. Hectic or what! LOL

I'm putting many of the bricked iPhones out there down to sheer impatience - and people trying to restart or disconnect before it was ready. Mine failed, as I said, but the failure did not affect the devices at all - it occurred pre-restore.

Well, I tried again this afternoon and although a 64Gb iPad with about 52Gb of data on it took over an hour and a half, it went smoothly and ended up with a brand new iOS5 sitting on it. My phone is nearly done too. The process is a full backup/flush/upgrade/restore jobbie - so it does take its sweet time. Have a lie down and come back when it's done.

iOS5 is quite loverly! Love the split iPad keyboard...

:thumbsup:

Chillie
13-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Don't know what time it was released but my 2nd gen iPod Touch didn't upgrade this morning when I plugged it in.

I will be buying an iPad 2 next week and maybe an iPhone 4s if they have solved the antenna fault that the iPhone 4 had.

Octane
13-10-2011, 05:02 PM
The new iPhone 4S has multiple antennae, I believe, which resolves antennagate.

H

Chillie
13-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks Humayun. I've never owned an iPhone. I'll wait for a week or two then read the reviews before I decide.

Octane
13-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Good idea. :)

I went to order one from Optus' site this afternoon, but, they don't have the 64 GB option listed (out of stock). Apparently over a million pre-orders were placed in the first 24 hours. That's insane.

H

Omaroo
13-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I use my iPhone 4 "bare". Never had a reception issue based on the way I choose to hold it. That is a mountain/molehill issue, and a real beat up. Of course, I'd go a 4S in a second now, but on iOS 5 I'm more than happy.

Not a good day to own a Blackberry...

Henry - go use one. Don't base your decision on what you have read on the net. Touch one instead. Reviews are going to be brilliant anyway, and Siri is a killer. I want!

kustard
13-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I just did the iOS 5 update for my 3GS and even though it took about an hour there were no issues and the phone seem very speedy indeed considering it's an old model.

I can't seem to move the Newsstand app into an folder though...

Edit #1: ...Which I've just worked out, it's a folder in itself. Makes sense now :)

Edit #2: ...and my AltAzAlign app works nicely too (even though I had already tested it on the beta iOS 5 :D).

kustard
13-10-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm getting a 4S, got a pretty good deal from my provider for a contract update whilst still in contract. Phone should be here in the next few days, only a 16G version but I don't really keep a lot of stuff on my phone :)

Chillie
13-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi Chris,

I currently own a LG not a Blackberry.

I hope to have a play with an iPhone down at the Apple Store in Melbourne next week when I buy my iPad 2. I will also be asking a lot of questions about the iPhone.

If I buy an iPhone, I will buy locally.

Omaroo
13-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Sorry Henry - I was referring to the big problems RIM/Blackberry customers are suffering at the moment with the messaging service shutdowns.

Poita
14-10-2011, 05:01 AM
I have had zero reception issues, and mine is without a case. I tried hugging it in various ways but never got a dropped call.

AdrianF
14-10-2011, 07:38 AM
I have just lost all my apps after performing the iOS 5 update. Message came up about restoring to factory settings. I did the backup before update but iTunes is saying no backup data available aaaaaarrrrgh!

Adrian

Omaroo
14-10-2011, 07:41 AM
What desktop platform are you on Adrian?

spacezebra
14-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi all

I hooked up my ipad2 for the iO5 update last night before going to bed. Performed all the updates via itunes prior to the iO5 update so not sure whether that is your issue Adrian. Chris is the best person for this question.

Woke up with my ipad2 asking a few set up questions and then ready to go.

Smooth as silk update! thanks apple.

Cheers Petra d.

AdrianF
14-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I upgraded iTunes to the latest release before attempting iPhone update, you can't update without latest iTunes. Let the phone and iTunes sync then performed the backup and then update. I am using win7 64 bit on a laptop.

Adrian

Omaroo
14-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Adrian - on your iTunes summary page for that device, does it show a timestamp for the last backup under the "Backup" window (i.e. "Last backed up to this computer...")?

Is your phone operating apart from its lack of re-loaded apps?

AdrianF
14-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Except for no apps it appears to be working ok. Just checking for app updates and found all my apps on iCloud. Have. I Have no info on the pc concerning backups at all.

Adrian

Omaroo
14-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Looks like you chose the option to back up everything to the cloud rather than the local machine? I'm staying with the machine for apps and music sync for the moment. Documents, appointments, contacts and notes can go to the cloud.

AdrianF
14-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Probably but I don't remember choosing that option. But at least my apps are still available I'll just be a little more selective what I reinstall. Now if I could just get Bluetooth to work. Laptop recognizes iPhone iPhone recognizes laptop but no connection established.

Adrian

Disregard Bluetooth problem got connection now just to work out what I can do with it. Haven't managed to transfer a file yet

Poita
14-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd put money on that is what happened.
I'm doing the same, contacts etc. to the cloud, apps and music local for now.

Davros
14-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Just updated my 3Gs in less than 14 minutes of download. So dissapointed by the iphone 4Gs release. I was hoping for the 5 to come out for a handpiece upgrade. I guess i will just keep waiting and hope it comes out some time early next year.

Octane
14-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Mick,

I think what would have made people happier is if they actually changed the shape of the phone -- a cosmetic change would resemble a new phone. Under the hood, it's all brand new -- new processor, new graphics, new camera, etc. What more could we want underneath? :)

H

AdrianF
14-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Just found that if I have bluetooth enable I get no sound from the phone except incoming calls. Can't listen to music while Bluetooth on

Adrian

mishku
14-10-2011, 11:15 AM
You might have seen the new in-phone assistant (Siri) who appeared with the 4s launch. Via postsecret: what happens if you ask Siri to marry you?? :lol:

Davros
14-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Cant argue with that :P i was looking forward to upgrading from the 3gs but i wont bother now because knowing my luck a flash new 5 would be released a month later. A new case and bigger screen would have been enough to make me do it. Guess i will just wait a bit. Some sources are indicating April 2012 for the release of the 5. I am guessing there will be a lot of dissapointed 4s owners if that happens.

Octane
14-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Same boat as you. I love my 3Gs, and, I'm actually glad that Optus was indicating the new 64 GB as out of stock yesterday afternoon. I will hold off until the 5. :)

H

TrevorW
14-10-2011, 03:10 PM
My daughter is upgrading her Iphone and is going to give me her old one, will my SIM work in it (it says 3g on my current Nokia phone, when active)

Octane
14-10-2011, 03:34 PM
As long as it's not locked to the network, you should be OK, I think.

In order for me to use a vodafone SIM in New Zealand, I had to go through the rigmorale of having the iPhone's IMEI unlocked by Apple via Optus (which took 3 days), then a complete backup, a full wipe/system restore before I could use another network's SIM.

H

TrevorW
14-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks H

ReaPerMan
14-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Apple tends to follow a cycle of incremental change.. They skip the major changes by one generation ie 3G 3Gs 4 4s the five will come about a year from now. The April date being banded about should be for the iPad3. This is we're we should see some major change to the hardware and even the iOS to go with it. Potentially Siri could become the basis for a full voice controlled iOS (al la Star trek etc). We can only dream ;)

All the best

Paul :thumbsup:

Visionoz
14-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone!

Did my upgrade and it took 1hr and the phone thought it was a new one (thanks goodness I didn't pull the pin when the white apple logo came on!), answered all the questions; including giving the iCloud a miss totally (besides we amateur astronomers don't need clouds do we?:P) becz I don't trust my data on someone's server with me having zilch control over it - and everything restored fine and worked right away:thumbsup:

Cheers
Bill

kustard
14-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Admittedly I was hoping for the 4S to be a 5 release but upgrading from the 3GS to the 4S is fine by me, especially since I'm going to a cheaper plan with more calls and data (not that I use a lot).

Have got the 4S already, just waiting for the SIM to be activated...

gbeal
14-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Did mine early yesterday, both iPhone, and iPad, both went without a hitch. Took "longer than usual", but I'll put that down to temporal distortion, as you get older, things slow down (or fail altogether).
Gary

mozzie
14-10-2011, 07:00 PM
getting a new iphone on monday my contract runns out then been using my 4 year old nokia as my telstra t90 died..my wife has a ipad2 and some games on it so we are going to sync and the kids can play the games,saves buying a nintendo ds.... what about that for an idea!!!!!!!!

AdrianF
15-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Sounds good in theory

Adrian

michaellxv
15-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Well the IOS5 upgrade went ok except that now Plants vs Zombies crashes all the time :sad:

PCH
16-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi All,

I did the upgrade, and although most of it went fine, I seem to have lost all my contacts.

Music, photos are all there, - just my contacts are missing. Can anyone explain how to restore them please? If just the contacts can't be restored, I'd rather go back to the older OS, as I had a lot of important info in my contact list.

All suggestions gratefully received :thumbsup:

PCH
16-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi Poita,

I'm thinking that's what I may have done also. Any thoughts on how I can see what I have on the 'cloud' so that I can recover my lost contacts? :thumbsup:

Visionoz
16-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Paul

Under "Settings" you can choose "iCloud" option and check the list within including the "Backup & Storage" option

HTH
Cheers
Bill

PCH
16-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi Bill,

thanks for the reply. You're right, I can set contacts to 'on' under the icloud section in settings, but I can't see how that enables me to see my 'lost' contacts and get them back.

Any thoughts Bill - or anyone ?:confused2:

AdrianF
16-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Can't add events under calendar there is no + sign top right hand corner of the calendar.
Cannot add contacts either same problem.

Any ideas?
Photo 1 from one phone photo2 from second phone. Had a look at the settings and they are both the same. Can't figure it out.

Adrian

Octane
16-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Adrian,

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> go right down to the bottom and make sure your Default Calendar is set to something.

H

adman
17-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I upgraded my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 which went generally ok except that one of my apps that I use for "scanning" receipts (Genius Scan+) lost all it's data which is a major pain - some of the files I had uploaded to Dropbox but not all of them so I am unsure about what is actually missing. I think I will drop the developer a line and see if others had the same problem.

Adam

Chillie
17-10-2011, 05:17 PM
You guys are scaring me to the point that I have not upgraded my 2nd gen iPod Touch from version 4.2.1 to 5.

Is there any was during the upgrade you can stop your data and/or Apps going to the "iCloud" thing? I have a lot of data/pictures that I can not afford to lose. I have backed up my Notes by emailing them but there is no option in Contacts to email them all at once, only one at a time.

Some of the data is not the type of date I want going anywhere but my own equipment.

Omaroo
17-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I suspect you've maybe missed the point of the "iCloud thingy" Henry. IF you wish to use it, you can - for whatever data you wish. It's configurable and, by default, off. If you try and stop the update at any point you may find yourself to be in the same boat as other users who bricked their devices unnecessarily. Let it go though - it will work. During the update, you don't have the opportunity to stop anything and neither should you. At the end of the process you are asked what you wish to do with your data.

Personally, I find the notion of iCloud to be brilliant. It will give me the ability to access presentation documents that I need, when I don't necessarily have the device they're stored on with me. Same for contacts in my case. They're not secret and my world won't collapse because they're in the cloud - but that's me.

xstream
17-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Personally I had no problem with the update at all, went like a breeze. I configured icloud for contacts, notes and calendar couldn't of been more simple. :thumbsup:

Octane
17-10-2011, 05:56 PM
As mentioned, if you follow the instructions and don't disconnect the device until iTunes says it's done, you will be fine.

As Chris mentioned, a lot of devices were bricked because the device didn't say "do not disconnect" on it, but, iTunes still had activity going on.

H

Chillie
17-10-2011, 05:58 PM
The type of data I'm referring to are bank account (and credit card) numbers (not PINs) and the balance of these accounts as well as passwords for other things as well as other data I don't want getting into other hands. I need this data to get by every day.

Anyway, I've got an early start in the morning. I leave Horsham for Melbourne a 6:00am to buy an iPad 2.

ReaPerMan
17-10-2011, 09:27 PM
when I upgraded my iPhone4 today all my downloaded Audible books in my Audible app stopped working and produced an error that suggested that they had to be downloaded again... otherwise everything else works fine. :shrug: