PDA

View Full Version here: : Bright Light In Western Sky At Dusk

theycallmesash
12-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Hey guys,

Firstly just wanna say hi! im new here :) Im from South Australia.

Quick question, go outside and see one really bright light in the western sky line always about 30 mins before dusk, is this venus? it was just on the news and they called it a UFO... :lol: If you go outside right now you should be able to see it.

Tried looking at it with my Lx90 but too much atmospheric interference :/

Sardukar
12-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Its definetly a UFO!!1! :P

Blue Skies
12-10-2011, 08:45 PM
:rolleyes: There's always a joker...

Yes, its Venus, Ash. You probably wont see much anyway as Venus is around the far side of the Sun at the moment. Give it a few more months and you start to see a phase showing, plus it will be bigger as it gets closer.

theycallmesash
12-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I find it funny that the news didnt bother checking up atleast...

"omg a light in the sky... it must be a UFO..."

brnwvs3
17-08-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm located on lake bomoseen vermont u.s.a. I've been watching the same light in the evenings it lasts for about 30 to45 min,I see it at a 2:30 posision and loose it at3:30 point on the clock when it drops down past the tree line.I've been observing this bright light though the month of july and no:confused2:w aug. Does any one know what the light is? ITS not a ufo,or flying object or the ISS nor a shooting star. I'm very curious to know what I seeing every night the weather is clear. ed

rogerco
17-08-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't think you need to apologize, they could have just read the previous posts. But hey we really need to get out there and educate the rest of the community, I was asked the same question. With everybody (well most) carrying smartphones these days we need to point out that there are apps that allows them to hold their phone up and it will tell them what it is.

But the media's treatment of astronomy recently is terrible, look what they did to that guy with the observatory in the water tank.

bigjoe
17-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Venus is often called the queen of UFOS.

As people driving along actually think its the bright light (Venus) that is moving between

trees say,and not the car!!:)

Jon
17-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Actually ... the really bright light low above the Western horizon about 30 mins before dusk is, um, the sun.

;-)