PDA

View Full Version here: : Star Optics closing down...!!!

FlashDrive
12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Heads Up people ... Star Optics ( on the Gold Coast ) are closing down.

Not nice ... but could find a bargain or two.

Check their Website.

Shame :(

Flash.

Liz
12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Oh, thats a shame, thats where I bought my first proper scope from .... a wonderful 8" Dob.

tlgerdes
12-10-2011, 07:35 PM
See, therein lies the problem, where did you buy your 2nd and 3rd proper telescopes?

UniPol
12-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I bought a Meade LX200 off Star Optics earlier in the year and wonder what will happen if I have any warranty issues?

mswhin63
12-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Warranties revert back to manufacturers to decide where they go. I closed down parts of my business recently by checked to make sure some customers were not left out of the lurch.

Jules76
12-10-2011, 08:55 PM
It's unfortunate, but I guess it's a sign of the times. My only purchase I've made through them was a HEQ5 which I got pretty cheap at the time. Was very happy with the service.

According to their website, the last trading day at the shop is Saturday 17th of December. Not a lot of items in clearance at the moment but I'd imagine that will change closer to the date.

It's a shame.

jenchris
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Sirius is for sale too, Ron's wife is poorly

Hagar
13-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Is Star optics actually fully closing down or is it just the shop front that is closing. Initially looking at the front page it sort of indicates the shop front is closing with nothing mentioned about the internet sales area.
An awful large amount of stock still for sale for just a shop front.

FlashDrive
13-10-2011, 10:40 AM
I spoke to Fab ( the salesman ) on the phone yesterday... these are his words:

The Retail section of the shop will cease trading as of the 17th Dec' 2011.
What stock is still out the back ... or not sold from the Shop front .... will be gradually sold ... and then Star Optics as we know it ... will cease to be.

Another empty shop front on the Gold Coast.

Flash :hi:

jenchris
13-10-2011, 11:26 AM
What's the bet he keeps the franchise so we can't get a decent supply line with reasonable prices.

Hagar
13-10-2011, 08:20 PM
The operative words here seem to be "As we know it" Seems to indicate something new on the web or similar may be in the pipeline.
Just have to wait and see.

Star_Optics
27-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi,
Tanya here, partner in Star Optics. I have signed up to clear up some misconceptions about us closing the store.
Firstly:

Star Optics is not and has never been a franchise, so not sure why you thought it was? We are a partnership and totally independant of any other store.

We have already informed all suppliers of our intention to close on December 17th, we have no ongoing accounts with these manufacturers once Star Optics ceases as a business.

The Star Optics website will continue to trade UNTIL ALL EXISTING STOCK IS SOLD. We are not ordering new stock, we are not continuing as an on line business after that. The website may be sold as there has been interest from several parties.

All stock on the site has been reduced to its final price. The clearance section does not have all the items bundled into it because the whole site is now at our clearance prices. We do not want to store stock and thus have reduced most to cost.

We made this decision after trading for over a decade for several reasons. But it basically comes down to time and energy.We have other business interests that take precedent and if we had taken the path of selling the business it would have taken some time (as we know, Sirius Optics has been on the market for 3 years now, Astro Optics is also on the market for the last 6 months with no confirmed sale of either) which is what we do not have.

As Star Optics is the smallest of the 3 businesses and the most time consuming it was only logical that it was the one to go.

Am happy to answer any reasonable questions you may have.

:)

PeterM
28-10-2011, 02:24 PM
I may work for a local competitor but the amateur astronomer in me sees this as another loss to our hobby. Use em or lose em.
Thanks indeed for your support of Astrofest (and the 2 scopes I won over the years).
You may never know who you inspired and put that spark into by selling them a scope or just having them stand at the window and look at the goodies. I remember doing this years ago as a 13 year old with my brother at Astro Optical in Sydney.
Lex and Tanya all the best.
PeterM.

clem
17-12-2011, 08:03 AM
So sad. I bought all my stuff from them save for an autoguider (Sirius Optics) and a Baader filter (My Astro Shop).

Star Optics will be missed.

Stardrifter_WA
17-12-2011, 04:38 PM
It is sad, yet another business closes, but that is happening everywhere.

Brisbane
01-02-2012, 09:31 PM
What a pitty, purchased a LS-8 from the Queensland Meade dealer two years ago, I wonder who will support Meade customers in Queensland now? Shipping scopes interstate for repairs or service would be costly.

FlikR
04-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Tanya,

I have sent you a PM, in regards to stuff I ordered but have not recieved.

Thanks,

RobF
04-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Have recently purchased an item off the website with courteous and prompt service.:)

FlikR
05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I have bought most of my stuff through them, never with any problems. But, I am unable to get any response from emails and the phone number is disconnected.

I would just like to know if they have received the money I deposited and if the items have been sent.

I am worried they may have been lost in the mail.

If anyone knows them personally, can you ask them to check the Star Optics email acount please...

Thanks,

FlikR.

FlikR
06-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Made further contact today and items are on their way.

FlikR.

danielsun
06-02-2012, 11:02 PM
That's a shame.:( I have bought a few items from them and found them to be great for service and advice.:thumbsup: