PDA

View Full Version here: : nexstar130 / windows 7

dobbodobbo
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a Celestron Nexstar 130 slt, a USB to Serial converter and an ACER running Windows 7 and I can not work it out. Please help:confused2:

AndyK
03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Do you have the driver CD that came with the USB to serial converter?
Or, if not, can you give some details and I'll try to find a driver for you.
Once you get Win7 to recognise the USB/serial adapter and assign it a COM port it's fairly straightforward ... and I can talk you through it.

dobbodobbo
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
What more do you want to know? The USB to RS232 DB9 converter is a DIGITECH XC4834, the disks that I got with the scope are not for Windows 7

AndyK
03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
OK, browse to http://www.jaycar.com.au/downloads.asp then select XC4834 in the drop-down box and download the driver.
Make sure the USB/serial converter is NOT plugged in.
Unzip and install the driver.
Once the driver is installed, connect the USB to serial converter to the computer and the new driver should be detected. (post back here if you experience problems with this step)
During the installation process you should see a message indicating which COM port has been asigned to the converter and you need to configure this COM port in the telescope software when you're setting it up. You only need to do this once.
If you don't see a message, open Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports and check the properties of the converter to see what COM port it has been assigned.
Post back here if you get stuck and I'll try to assist further.

Just out of interest, what exactly are you trying to accomplish with the telescope/mount connected to the computer?
The reason I ask is that unless you're upgrading firmware or perhaps using something like the optional NexRemote software, you don't need to have the scope connected to a computer to use it.