PDA

View Full Version here: : Things that go bump in the night!

tilbrook@rbe.ne
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi,
I was reading the thread, A visitor to my observatory.
It reminded me when I set up my observatory at my current location.
I had just finished watching jurasic park, and thought I'd do some observing once the film finished.
I just got settled in when from behind I heard thump, thump, thump - then the twang of the wires in the paddock fence which went on for about 10 seconds.
I don't mind saying that the hairs on the back of my neck stood to attention, and my heart started racing.
As it turned out a large grey Roo was stuck in the fence.

It sounded all the world like the T rex breaking through the fence on juasic park.

I wonder if any others have similar tales to tell.

BTW the roo got out of the tangle safely.

Cheers,

Justin.

Darth Wader
01-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I live on the fringe of Sydney's western suburbs. Observing early one morning in my backyard (about 4am) I heard a loud MOO that sounded like it came from a few houses over. Weirded me out big time as there are no cows in my suburb, LOL. Turned out to be the cattle from the nearest farm - a good 3 or 4 kms away. It was so quiet at that time due to the lack of traffic on the main road the sound travelled all that way:eyepop:
The seeing was great too:D

Suzy
01-10-2011, 11:30 PM
:lol: Justin, you sure picked the perfect movie didn't you. :rofl:

Last year in the wee hours of the night, a big monster fruit bat came out of a low tree and swooped the top of my head :eyepop: Hairs moved and everything! :eyepop: Obviously I had better night vision than it did. :screwy: Scared the hell out of me.

jjjnettie
02-10-2011, 12:01 AM
We used to live on a 40acre block a number of years ago. Every evening I'd set up the dob in the front paddock to observe.
There were a family of possums living in a large gum tree next to the cattle grid at the house yard. Quite regularly one would sneak up behind me and screech, then bolt back up the tree. Needless to say, it used to scare the begeezus out of me. Much squealing and swearing.
I reckon they all used to take turns. I can just imagine them all lined up on that branch, laughing at my reaction.

dugnsuz
02-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Like jjj, I've been spooked by the possums - one night I heard one on the shed roof, turned my LED head lamp in its direction transfixing it on the apex of the roof where it stayed until I turned the torch off to return to my drift alignment. After about 5mins or so of my minimal movement I got up from my observing seat and this thing let out the most un-godly, hellish shreik in my general direction! Freaked me right out - It must have been watching me all the time I was observing minimal star drift at the eyepiece!

Another time, I heard general scuttling coming towards the scope, then became aware of the smell of poop - soon the poopy smell became stronger and something barreled out of the darkness towards me at the scope - the dog from 4-5 doors down complete with tartan coat had rolled around in its own muck for a bit then decided to go a-wandering, ending up in my yard! Had to imprison it in the shed until the owners could retrieve it!
It's dangerous out there!

Darth Wader
02-10-2011, 06:13 PM
:rofl:

Ric
03-10-2011, 01:20 AM
I always get roo's in the paddock with me.

My biggest worry these days is if they get spooked and run the wrong way and knock the scope over. I find that if I make a bit of noise they know where I am and avoid me.

bartman
03-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Heya Justin,
At my work I often have those mutant rabbits (Roos)scare the bejeesus out of me when walking back to my car or the apartments we have. They just hide in the bushes, get startled and scatter.....
However one time,I had this little creature ( Possum) surprise me on a few consecutive nights. It didn't seem to be to phased by my presence as it was foraging in the bin. The third night I was prepared, got my camera and took some shots. The possum was either blind or was fearless cause I could get up close and personal. I touched it a few times and even used a flash straight in the eyes and it didn't even flinch!
Anyhoe here are some pics.......
Cheers
Bartman

Baddad
03-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Justin, JJJ, Bart,
Trychosaurus Vulpecular, Common Brushtail Possum. He has often been the bumper in the night.
They are very territorial. If an intruder approaches there is much noise in the way of it sounding like an asthmatic peeping tom. It escalates to a wierd, loud gutteral shriek and growl.
If the intruder persists in closing in the resident possum attacks and a fight emanates. Fierce, loud and the fur flies.

Years ago my daughter, Jenny, came running scared to me. She claimed there was some one outside. A peeping tom. She said, "I can hear him breathing." :scared: "Don't go out there Dad!" :scared:A torchlight revealed a possum on the guttering above her bedroom window.:lol:;)

Cheers

TrevorW
03-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I had a big dark patch fly over me on a slightly moonlit night that rattled me, the noise it made did not sound like a bird

GrahamL
03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
working on a rural property in the middle of the night I turned the tractor at the rear boundary and was making my next 2km run
back the other way.

No houses , roads, trees or the possibility if anyone being nearbye
cresting a small rise overlooking a little dam a 100 m to my right
a came across a huge white light suspended 5 m in the air with mist swirling all around it.

I had that little moment when you try and rationalize something strange thats laid out before you with everything possible and I coundn't come up with anything cept for little green men coming to get me .. then it gets better out of that swirling mist walks a shadowy humanoid figure in a spacesuit with some kind of weapon in there hand .

If that bee man with his smoker who was unloading his hives off the truck i couldn't see came one step closer my way , I was off and running

:)

tilbrook@rbe.ne
03-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi,

Seems like there's plenty of tales to tell on this subject.
The other problem living in the country is all the critters trying to make a home in the observatory and observatory hut.

Here's a list - centepedes, millepedes, ants, spiders, rabbits, mice.

I go through a lot of surface spray to keep the bugs out. The centepedes and spiders are the main worry. They make homes in the gap between the frame and wall cladding.

I don't wear thongs in the observatory. I got bitten on the finger by a black spider one night, he was sitting right on the door frame. I thought i'd just jagged my finger on the frame, until I went to bed and started to feel a bit weird. Woke up next morning with a swollen black finger.

The rabbits are trying to under mine the observatory hut, it has raised timber floor just right for the little buggers to make a home.

Still I wouldn't swap where I am, having dark skies outways all the critters.

Cheers,

Justin.

astroron
03-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Many Years ago during an all nighter,I saw this big bright light flickiering through the trees,the sky glow from it was tremendous:eyepop:
I thought I was going to see my First UFO, *scared*, hairs on the back of the neck raised:help:
As it cleared the tree line I reallised it was Venus,which I had forgotten all about. Doh!:rolleyes:
Cheers :thumbsup:

astrocookie
03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
some funny stories everyone.

One night I was out in the back yard and on my way back inside, I saw a red glowing light comming from the veggie patch :confused2::confused2::confused2:

After gazing at it for a while, with all manor of crazy ideas to what the misterious glow could be, I realised it was the fire that we had lit early that day to clear up in the garden!:P