PDA

View Full Version here: : Go-To Using "SkEye" Android Ap.

Suzy
29-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy android phone and have been using the "SkEye" ap. (http://market.android.com/details?id=com.lavadip.skeye&hl=en) It's a great ap. and I'm very happy with it. Though sometimes it goes a bit loopy and tells me north is south :rolleyes:, but I can live with that as fortunately, I know better.:rolleyes: Turn it off and back on, wave it around, something gets it back on track soon enough. I like that it has a nice big circle so you can align it on the star, helps as there are so many stars up there when pointing the phone towards it.

By the way, "Star Chart"I also really like because you can touch the star on the screen and it gives you the astrophysics of the star (I love knowing all that stuff because I'm nosey :P).

Okay, back to SkEye. Before I go ahead and get creative with double sided velcro to attach my phone to my dob, I was wondering if any one has had success with it as a go-to device (how accurate is it)?

I would be very grateful to hear your feed back please.
Thank you. :)

Suzy
02-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Bump. :P

I'm feeling like a nigel (that's someone who is left on their own and out of things). :sadeyes:

It's lonely being at ZERO. :help:

selste
02-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi Suzy,
although i haven't yet tried the software (looks interesting enough, i'll give it a spin) just a few thoughts ...

From the tutorial it looks like the app is accurate enough at least in star-hopping mode - provided the internal sensors (compass especially) are calibrated.
My impression - after using other apps like Heavens Above or Mobile Observatory - is that the Night Mode most often is still much too bright, this is going to ruin your eye's dark adaption.
At least here in Germany there are lots of nights where moisture is a real problem - most Phones, including your Galaxy, will not respond kindly to being drenched in water ... well, the local phone dealer WILL - because You'll need a new phone ;) ,You'll want a waterproof enclosing.
Most phones are also really heavy on the batteries when the display is turned on - my Motorola Defy lasts 4 hours max, i doubt your Galaxy is much better in that respect - so during an extended session You're likely to run out of juice ... that won't happen if You use a detailed, old-fashioned printed star chart.
Regards,

Steffen

Sardukar
03-10-2011, 01:32 AM
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lavadip.skeye&hl=en

alot of the user reviews seem to say its pretty good for push to (some people even claim to be as good as a cheap goto). Im also wondering if anyone here has tried it, might force me to get a new phone or tablet :P

Suzy
03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks Steffen & Tim. :)

Thanks for link Tim, I had a look at all 200+ reviews. Only about three of them talk about the actual go-to feature mounted on a scope (from the looks of it anyway).:shrug:
Most of those reviews seem very favourable, and as many have said on that review, I too much prefer this to Google Sky

The battery has lasted me for at least three hours in the past, but to be honest, I use my maps and computer software more than my phone. As I’m still learning the sky, I favour manually (with help from computer software) working out the constellation patterns & objects if I can- some admittedly (and naturally) do throw me. So as much as I’m keen to use it as a go-to device, the data base on the phone for objects is pretty limited, which for me is a good thing, as I want to still be able to learn the sky star hopping manually. There have been many occasions when my lap top & phone (forgetting to charge phone!) have given up, but I don’t get in a fluster, as I’m very happy to use my maps and if I maintain observing by the manual method, my night won’t come to an end.. just might take me longer. :lol:
I am a strong believer in learning the sky.. no doubt go to will get me there quicker, but in my opinion, it’s not just about getting to that object- it’s familiarising myself with the sky, seeing all those beautiful asterisms along the way, all those beautiful coloured and different star sizes of varying brightnesses, accidentally bumping into objects, and just as importantly, the reward in finding it myself. Even though one object might take me a number of sessions to find at which case I’m tearing my hair out and by day 5, I would welcome any help so I can move on with other objects before they disappear of the sky for that season. :rolleyes::lol:

I’m not finding the red light on it to be an issue for me so far- perhaps because I’m observing from my light polluted backyard.:question:

Regarding the phone getting wet, I had thought about that, but I thought that the heat from the phone would stop dew getting on it as the app. stays on the whole night unless I get out of it. Hmmm will have to see how it goes, otherwise, I guess I’ve got to come up with some protection for it. Perhaps a plastic sleeve of sort sort.

I will let you'll know how it goes once I get the Velcro and have an attempt with the go-to feature on the scope. :thumbsup:

Liz
04-10-2011, 06:06 AM
damn ... I have both those Apps (along with my 12,649 others!!) and havent given them a good go, ta Suzy, will give them a go again. :D

skysurfer
30-12-2011, 01:06 AM
I used Skeye as well on a Galaxy S2 but it has too much drift. Point the scope at object 1, align Skeye, point to object 2 , align, find object 3 which is at least 1 degree off and returning to object 1 meand a few degrees off.

With iPushto for the iPad same issue.

Did somebody manage to use such apps within 0.5 degree accuracy ?

ZeroID
31-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm looking at getting a 'tablet' of one sort or another and of course the availability and usefulness of astro 'apps' is a prime criteria. The Galaxy is one of them, the other Android I am interested in is the Sony version and of course there is the ubiquitous iPad arena.

Had a play with a mates iPad 2 16 gig, very impressive. Tried to have a play with various Android based tablets in shops but they are never connected to the www or loaded with apps that you can test so a very limited functionality to compare. It's 'Apples and Androids' you might say :rolleyes:

Hence I am leaning towards the iPad direction purely because i haven't seen any other unit as fully operational and user friendly. Some one please tell me I'm wrong as I am not an Apple afficianado but it's hard to spend large $$ on something that may or may not do the job. :shrug: