PDA

View Full Version here: : A bit of Nasty Weather at Melbourne Airport

pgc hunter
29-09-2011, 12:29 AM
I had a day off today, so decided to take advantage of the northerly winds and catch some aircraft landing at Melbourne Airport. Just another hobby of mine.

started off as a typically cloudy old Melbourne day.. looking just a little unstable.

pgc hunter
29-09-2011, 12:34 AM
then it became dark as night at 3.30pm with one of the most badass storms I've experienced in the last couple of years...

Octane
29-09-2011, 12:48 AM
I noticed it was very dark on the drive back down towards Canberra today, too, at about the same time.

Also, how did you capture the lightning pictures? Were they taken on your mobile phone? omggg, do you have a lightning trigger for your iPhone? Gimme!

H

pgc hunter
29-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I just recorded the footage on my digital camera and then screen capped it on the computer.

Suzy
29-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Oh my.. I could happily thrown a blanket on the ground near an airport and watch those planes take off and land all day! Ever since I was little I've had a fascination with planes. To this day, every time a plane flies over I automatically look up.
One day back in the 90's I got very lucky, and If I may share a quick little story...

It was in the 90's (mid to late) and my daughter was in primary school. It was sports day, so all the mums were there with their kids on the oval, myself included. I heard the sound of plane- it was incredibly loud. Looking up I see the Concorde coming in to land. Slapped the face about, "seeing things" I told myself, "The Concorde does not come to Australia". No one was by my side on the oval to check my apparent hallucination. :rolleyes: Looked again.. yep, that's the Concorde all right. I looked around to see if there were any reactions. Nope, not one. :shrug: Baffled the rest of the afternoon I was.:confused2: 6pm news that night proved I was sane. I can't believe I was the only one that looked up- :screwy: I mean that thing was really loud!!!! Sheesh!
The Concorde was here on a fuel stop in a special round the world tour of some sort. I'll never ever forget that moment, made more special by my thoughts of questioning my own sanity.

I live very close to an airport (light aircraft) and nothing gives me a greater rush than when I'm driving down the road, when a plane swoops on top of my car.

ballaratdragons
29-09-2011, 02:31 AM
The storm was so bad today that they actually shut the Melbourne Show! That's a big deal!
As the crowd was shuffled out by the multi-thousands they gave them all free passes to get back in on another day.

It was certainly wild and woolly today!

mishku
29-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Sab, I'm surprised I haven't bumped into you, we love a bit of plane-watching!!

Weather was absolutely disgusting yesterday, and shaping up to be pretty repulsive today as well... Fingers crossed for some more lightning and excellent photos!