PDA

View Full Version here: : Photo Shop Assistance

PCH
27-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi All,

I have a copy of PS CS5 Extended. I'm wondering if I can use it to create 3D images like the one in the attached file.

Is anyone who's familiar with PS able to point me in the right direction, tell me which chapter or section of the help file to look at - or even tell me if this can be done or not with PS. I'm not concerned with the design on this particular 3D object - I'm just trying to give the idea.

I'm not experienced at all with PS, I've bought it primarily cos one of the kids fancies experimenting with in, and I'd heard what a great product it was and thought I wouldn't mind playing myself.

All pointers gratefully received. :thumbsup:

multiweb
27-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Yes you can fake 3D in PS, since version 3 I believe. You need a vector graphic to start with or import a 3DS file into a layer. There are 3D tools now in PS that will allow you to rotate and extrude a shape with basic shading and lighting.
Create a vector shape with the 'Custom Shape Tool' then create a 3D layer: 3D>New 3D postcard from Layer. This will create the 3D layer.

With the layer selected click on the 3D Mesh icon to open the 3D mesh toolset. From there you have access to all the transforms.

That should get you started.

PCH
27-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Marc

thanks so much for that. I'll see how far I get with it and let you know :thumbsup:

ZeroID
28-09-2011, 06:44 AM
I know it's not quite te same thing but have you had a look\play at Google SketchUp ? It's more a design tool\application but actually quite capable even in the Free version and once you have the hang of it (not too hard) quite fun. I've been using it to try various Observatory plans and even managed a 3D of the Serrurier scope build for placement purposes.
Your kids might like playing with that as well, 3d wire or surface modelling, surface textures, abilty to rotate around the object, curved shape control.
Quite good fun .... and free !!

PCH
28-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Brent - I'll give it a try and see how I go :thumbsup:

Clarry
28-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Many years ago when I was keen on playing around with Photoshop, I made a tutorial on layer masking.

Here's a link on my dropbox site. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2662965/Layer%20Masking.jpg

PCH
28-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks Clarry,

err... is layer masking anything to do with my 3D question :P I'm not being clever, - I seriously don't know. I'll have a look anyway and see if I can make sense of this prog'. It seems very complicated.

Clarry
29-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Well layer masking is used to give your image the reflection on the table top. The only other 3Dish thing is the shadow behind the book. That's achieved by creating a layer behind the book and painting it on with a soft brush on low opacity.

PCH
29-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi Clayton,

thanks for the explanation. I sent away for a book from Amazon last night to help me with this. Some reviews (of PS) I've read suggest that good help is defo going to be needed if you're toget anywhere with PS. Trial and error will take forever.

So I've bought Photoshop CS5 Digital Classroom by Jennifer Smith. It comes with great reviews and a dvd to help us work through the lessons too. looking forward to receiving it.

All the best :thumbsup:

Octane
29-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Read the inbuilt help system. It is a wealth of information.

:)

H

PCH
29-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Cheers H,

I guess it's just a matter of knowing where to start hey?