PDA

View Full Version here: : Car Crash out front!

ballaratdragons
26-09-2011, 06:24 PM
While setting up for my astronomy night last night I was out in my back yard with my 18 y.o. son when all of a sudden we heard the sickening noise of a car crash right out front, but not a short 'Crash!' sound, this sounded like a car rolling over and over and metal and glass flying about and all those nightmarish sounds!

We raced through the house calling to my wife to call an Ambulance as we dashed out the front and saw nothing but heard someone screaming in pain!

But where were they? :shrug:

Grabbing Torches we ran across the road to find the car in our neighbours front yard, demolished and steaming.

What a mess!
The young 18 y.o. girl (Probabtionary Licence :rolleyes: ) was doing approximately 120 kph in a 50kph zone, lost control and ran straight through fences, snapping fence poles, trees, hit a ditch and become airborn, then spinning horizontally wrapped the car around more thick fence posts tearing them out of the ground and tangled in fencing wire and barbed wire.

The passenger got out the back door and dragged her out the back door too. The other doors wouldn't open.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, both were put in Neckbraces by emergency services and taken away by ambulance.

Today I walked over and snapped some pics.

This first pic is taken from where she was driving, showing were they drove off the road (see tyre marks in the grass) through the fences and trees. I marked the Ditch which sent them airborn. Parts of the front of the car are still in the ditch and you can see where they ended up.

2nd Pic shows some of the damage to both car and fences.

The Good news is that both the girl and her passenger came back today to have the car picked up and they seemed OK.

erick
26-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I hope the other good news is loss of licence for a very long time!

bartman
26-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Mmmm, Ken .....Snake Valley seems not so quiet a place?
The recent-ish hostage situation and now this??????
Whats going on?
Hope it settles down for you and surrounds :)
Bartman
P.s. I have not looked at any update on the end result of the June situation. Has your neighbor recovered/received appropriate help?

mozzie
26-09-2011, 07:04 PM
lucky very lucky !!!!!!!!!!!!

jjjnettie
26-09-2011, 07:08 PM
One hopes she's learned her lesson. It would be a cheap one at that.
Here in Kilcoy, we've lost too many young people due to thoughtless/reckless driving. One was one of "my girls" from work. An innocent passenger in the back seat, her neck broken. Everyone else in the car was ok.

ballaratdragons
26-09-2011, 07:37 PM
:lol: 2 events in several years. Yeah, Hell on Earth :rofl:

He is having a holiday Bart. For about 7 years.

keni
26-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Scary stuff Ken thanks for posting this.
I guess they were wearing seatbelts to have escaped more serious injuries.
If so that's one of the few positives to glean from this tale.
Perhaps someone can tell the driver if she keeps this up then she'll need a different caption on her number plate.
Not "Victoria the place to be" but "Victoria the place to die if you continue this stupidity".

Ken.

hotspur
26-09-2011, 08:28 PM
120 K/ph in a 50 k/ph zone-well how do some people think?

Really stupid-glad to hear none of your neighbours or people walking past
were not injured.Must have been awful to hear that Baz-we had a car loss control many moons ago,and the thud it made when hit a tree-was deadly sounded (the person lived).But to hear what you and your son heard would be dreadful.

icytailmark
26-09-2011, 08:44 PM
so lucky nobody was killed.

ballaratdragons
26-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Interestingly, the police and a tow truck driver all said they should be dead, and they don't say that very often!
They only say that when they know for sure.

The girl driver admitted to police that she was speeding.

kustard
26-09-2011, 10:33 PM
120 in an Astra? ;)

But seriously, doesn't take much for "I can handle it" to turn into "I'm flying through the windscreen"...

renormalised
26-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Quite frankly, despite the fact she and her passenger made it through it...which is good news...she should never be allowed to obtain a license. And she'd be doing quite a bit of community service to make up for her stupidity. I'd even go so far as to ban her from ever having control of a vehicle. If she broke that, she'd be doing time.

Terry B
26-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Scary stuff. I'm pleased they survived. I had a similar experience outside my place earlier this year but it proved fatal. We now have a little roadside cross as a reminder that I assume the family of the driver have put there.

ballaratdragons
26-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Not good Terry!

What is really annoying is that she didn't have any insurance, and my Neighbour has had to put in an insurance claim to repair all his fences, gates, and part of the paddock (fencing and gates are expensive), and he was told that he will lose his No-Claim Bonus and his insurance rates will now be increased.
He is fuming but his Lawyer says there's nothing he can do because . . simply . . she wasn't insured.

Also, if his cattle had got out, he was responsible not her! :screwy:

All because a stupid 18 year old twit decided to go flat out at night and lose control! :mad2:

avandonk
27-09-2011, 12:21 AM
I just noticed that the rear wiper looks OK. Can you nick it for my GF's car Ken as someone ripped hers off at the supermarket car park. Just joking.
That model Astra has a full roll cage inside the body and the doors are anti burst. They were lucky that they were not flung out. Did the airbags go off Ken?

Bert

ballaratdragons
27-09-2011, 12:32 AM
:lol:

Airbags go off? No they didn't Bert.

Everything but them was flung out. My son helped our neighbour today clean up bits of car, a fork, CD's, clothes, make-up, etc etc from all over his paddocks and across the street!

The car must have flung around in circles at high revolutions! A lot of stuff and it went quite a long distance.

renormalised
27-09-2011, 12:35 AM
I'd make this sort of thing an election issue. Make the pollies change the laws covering insurance. Take this to your local member and say if nothing is done about this sort of nonsense, then he/she won't be in a job come next election. Only way you'll be getting any satisfaction out of this. Get enough people to back you up and you'll be seeing what your typical politician is good at....kissing butt. Make it a national issue...all you need is the gumption to do it.

I'd also be saying something about youngsters being allowed to drive. Bad enough having irresponsible adults behind the wheel, let alone giving some clueless youngster the controls.

mishku
27-09-2011, 09:18 AM
a fork!?!? they sound even more lucky that they weren't badly injured by in-vehicle projectiles when the car became a low speed centrifuge!!

surely those silly girls were meant to be alive for a reason... here's hoping they now have the good sense to knuckle down, drive like nannas for the rest of their lives (if at all!!) and go on to win nobel prizes for peace!!

Ric
27-09-2011, 12:44 PM
The police are right, they are lucky to be alive looking at the photo's.

I've attended MVA's with the RFS out my way and have seen fatal accidents with a lot less damage.

By chance there was a near miss outside my place yesterday as well, Another young lady in Ute doing about 120 in an 80 zone swerved to miss a roo that jumped out and put her car into a double 360 degree spin.

She ended up down the embankment and thankfully missed all the trees.
She was ok but a bit shook up but it took us about half an hour to get her car out of the ditch.

The weirdest thing is that she is a local and knew how thick the roo's are along this stretch of road but still chose to speed anyway.

AstralTraveller
27-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Mate, roos are thick anywhere - they're just not that bright. :P The only thing that make a roo look smart is a wombat.

Omaroo
27-09-2011, 01:35 PM
There's nothing stopping your neighbour separately suing for damages Ken.

multiweb
27-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Good to see they walked out of it. Lucky them. Hopefuly they'll learn something from it.

ballaratdragons
28-09-2011, 01:02 AM
My son Jake found the spot she drove through in Google Maps showing what it looked like. In amongst those trees were very thick fence posts.

She totally mowed down everything insight from that gate on the right, to right down to the house!

Compare the original (and the trees had thicker trunks since this pic was taken) to the damage pic.

ballaratdragons
28-09-2011, 01:26 AM
and from Google Maps here is the Drivers view approaching the left turning bend where she lost control and went to the right.
I marked her path with yellow lines.

desler
28-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Ah Ken,

All excitement up there. 120 in a 50 zone?

Bet she just can't understand how it happened. Maybe, she'll learn, but I'm thinking not! Lucky those fence posts moved!

Darren

ballaratdragons
28-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Dazz, the 120k was our Country Cop's estimate by the 'amount of damage X distance travelled' blah blah some theory :lol:

Yes, those thick posts were a metre into the ground! If we hadn't had so much rain lately which softened the ground, they would have been set in like concrete!

Here's the holes left after she tore them out:

mill
28-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Now some people never learn like this girl.
If i would have been the passenger i would have kicked her up her you know where, when i would have left the hospital so she could go back into hospital again but for real :mad2: