PDA

View Full Version here: : Sax Players

GTB_an_Owl
23-09-2011, 11:38 PM
do we have any saxaphone players amongst us?

i am looking for recommendations for a suitable instrument for my grandaughter to continue learning on
budget about $1500

she is 11 and has been playing now for over 9 months

geoff

mishku
24-09-2011, 12:32 AM
... tenor or alto sax?

GTB_an_Owl
24-09-2011, 12:35 AM
alto

geoff

M_Lewis
24-09-2011, 12:36 AM
If you can buy the yamaha professional series sax 2nd hand, they are an excellent instrument. I say 2nd hand, as my alto cost me about $3500 new nearly 20 yrs ago. My selmer MK 6 tenor is valued nearly 10 times that.

I found that the 2nd hand market is worth looking at especially when kids are showing an interest. I dont' recommend the student series instruments from yamaha as they feel you're driving a mini, compared to a ferrari, and it makes the learning experience much more frustrating.

mishku
24-09-2011, 12:48 AM
geoff, i have an alto that id consider selling, but the issue would be getting it to you...

GTB_an_Owl
24-09-2011, 01:00 AM
i think we are open to any offers in that regard mishku - but of course we would want to have the instrument checked out before purchasing

either a mate of mine here on the coast or the granddaughters music teacher would have to do that i expect - she is in coffs harbour

i might have an opportunity to buy new at a reduced price through a fellow iceinspacer here on the coast as well as looking at the second hand option

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
24-09-2011, 01:19 AM
hi Mark

the granddaughter started using my dear departed uncle's 1932/34 Conn
only problem is - it is the now useless higher pitch breed

she now uses a loaner from her music teacher - and i don't know what breed that is (i must ask)

geoff

Gallifreyboy
27-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I would stick with the yamaha recommendation, very good quality control, excellent ergonomics and intonation. At $1500 a 2nd hand YAS 62 is achievable which is a very good instrument used by some professionals, although always with 2nd hand get somebody who knows what they are looking at to go over it. They asre also very versatile, classical, band, jazz or rock can work depending on mouthpiece, reed and the player. With the improvement in the $A the prices of these new have fallen to < $2400 which is outstanding value. There are other cheaper Yamahas but at that price point, that would be my recommendation.

BerrieK
27-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi, my 12 year old daughter plays a black nickel Jupiter tenor sax. It has beautiful intonation and a nice dark sound; and the quality is great. A little bit cheaper than the Yamahas and well worth looking into. Her best friend plays a rather beautiful Yanagisawa which I think sounds better, but a Yanagisawa will always cost more.

May I suggest that you have a browse thru Goldcoast Brass and Woodwind's website http://www.gcbw.com.au/

they have both Yamaha and Jupiter abd Yanagisawa alto's (new and used) at some of the best prices around and will ship to you at very reasonable rates. It may be best to take your granddaughter to a music shop and let her try the instruments for herself - she will know which one she likes the sound and feel of the best. It is also worth having a look at / try with different mouthpieces to the one that comes standard with an instrument - there may be one that suits the shape of her mouth better and be more comfortable.

Cheers Kerrie

GTB_an_Owl
27-09-2011, 07:09 PM
i learnt to-day that daughter visited her local "tender centre" in coffs at the weekend and put in a (winning) bid of $200 for what has turned out to be a Jupiter sas-667

i guess this is a student model - probably pre 1991
do not know its condition as she has not picked it up yet

what does a refurbishment cost these days - new pads etc?

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
27-09-2011, 07:10 PM
daughter thought $200 was better than paying out $100 a term to rent the one she is using for lessons

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
30-09-2011, 01:46 PM
update on the sax

daughter has picked it up and granddaughter has given it a burl

report - needs a polish - rubbers look a bit hard - what looks to be a new mouthpeice plays/sounds absolute crap - no dings - couple of keys don't feel right but they are ones seldom used and may just be stiff from lack of use - granddaughter is happy with it so far

she has a lesson next week and the sax will be off to a repairman in Bellingen for a service after the lesson (and her teacher gives it the once over)

thank you all for your input

again showing what a great community this is - a vast range of knowledge from people only too willing to help

geoff

BerrieK
30-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Good to hear Geoff.

Probably just needs new pads and a bit of a fine tune. I hope she will be very happy with it. The saxophone is an awesome instrument.