PDA

View Full Version here: : what would you do? (advice/opinions please)

spearo
27-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Hello again,

I continue with my struggling research of the "perfect" buy in the multidimentional matrix of options/factors to consider when it comes to selecting the "right" telescope/mount/GOTO/imageing/autoguiding combination for me.

Please tell me what you think of this (yes you may assume I'll stick a camera on the system (hopefully in time a light weight cooled ccd, and we can assume i'm straying from fork mounts a bit as tempting as they are...they do look sooooo cool):

1) I am considering buying a Skywatcher 10" on EQ6 with skyscan GOTO SW252SKY (about $3k). In time i may put an Advanced Ritchey Chretien 10" (maybe 12") as prices fall (another $3300 ?). This will enable me to master the basics and yet have a good enough mount to "upgrade" later keeping the total somewhat reasonable.

1a) Alternatively I am considering the LXD75 SN 10" (aprox $2800)
but not sure if the mount would support later "upgrade" and how well it compares with an EQ6 GOTO. Not sure about future autoguiding limitations. But it just looks soo nice!

2) Or should I get the C11 SGT XLT with starbright coatings ($4500)
not sure how good the mount is. Not sure if all C11 OTAs are as good as each other. This would forfeit my option of eventually upgrading to a Ritchey Chretien (not enough in the coffers...). Not sure how the C11 of this SGT would compare with a RC 10".

I'm also unclear as to whether or not there is a difference between EQ6 and HEQ6 (Google search doesnt give much, only write up i find of HEQ6 describes EQ6-suggests terms are interchangeable). I'm assuming HEQ6=EQ6.

I'll leave the quagmire of camera/CCD/autoguiding options for another post (unless I get seriously flammed for the above questions, in which case i'll just go and buy equipement blindly!)

Any ideas/suggestions/coments (and offers of donations-kidding) will be most welcome.
Thanks
I really appreciate (and trust) all the input i read on this site.
Boy am I glad I discovered it BEFORE committing to anything!
Hurry! The astrobug has got me bad and I'd like to purchase something that could be delivered (and mastered) yesterday...
:confuse3::)
Spearo

davidpretorius
27-02-2006, 07:14 PM
let me look at one of my mates c9.25 this weekend, chew the fat and see what i think from a dobbers point of view. in a few years i will be going over to the dark side!

Miaplacidus
27-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Sorry, Spearo, I have no recommendations. But I just have to post. That last comment from Dave just made me cough up my beer.

[1ponders]
27-02-2006, 08:01 PM
C9.25 before a C11. RCOS would leave the C11 for dead and for the price it should. Not even in the same ball park.

If you are thinking of a RCOS then to do it justice you need to be thinking up a level in the mount area. Hve you checked out Brad Moores new RCOS thread? Get ready to hock your house.http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7991&highlight=RCOS

EQ6 V LXD75?? EQ6

I'd be considering EQ6 V Losmandy G11 rather than LXD75. Nothing wrong with them (LXD75) as mounts but from what I have read and seen and compared my order from first to last would be G11, EQ6, LXD75

At this stage go the Skywatcher on the EQ6. If you do decide to get the RCOS then you will still have a good travel mount and scope

Striker
27-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Surely your not considering a true RCOS like Brad Mores....I think you might be considering the meade RC series which arn't a true RC anyway.

If you are considering a true RCOS I wouldn't even think of a g11...thats a $20000 scope on a $5000 mount...well out of balance....you would be better of with a much cheaper scope and spend the money on the mount...go the paramount ME.

But like I said I think your meaning the Meade series so all what I said above means nothing....lol

BTW...no such thing as a HEQ6...their all EQ6's even the pro version.

You cant go wrong with C9.25 on the heaviest mount you can afford...preferable a G11.

acropolite
27-02-2006, 09:08 PM
I would tend to agree with Tony, maybe the RC LX200 OTA only on a G11, or C9.25

JohnG
27-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi

You do realize that a 10" RCOS is $14,100 USD just for the OTA, then you got to add the extras. Then the mount, nothing less than a SB Paramont would do a rig like that justice.

I think a little more research and a real good look, and I also mean look through other peoples rigs is in order so you can get an idea as to what you really want, I think I said in a previous post that Astroboy is just up the road from (Lake Bathurst) give him a call, I am sure he would show you what he has.

JohnG

Lester
27-02-2006, 09:46 PM
I'wd say get the best you can afford, and don't skimp on the mount. If you are going to be using it within a observatory then wind buffering the telescope won't be an issue.

From my limited understanding the RC type is only an advantage when photographing or viewing at wide field over the SCT. But if you want the best then go for the true RC= their images are stunning. Haven't seen anything done by the Meade RC as yet.

Good luck.:astron:

spearo
28-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks everyone and Paul,
BTW, I am surprised anyone thought i might mean the RCOS...my fault i should have specified, I was thinking OTA of the "meade 200r RC"
no way in the world I will ever, ever, ever be able to afford an RCOS (not to mention that it would be seriously wasted on someone like me!).

Thanks for all the info this already helps a lot. The input re the 9.25 is now opening up new considerations for me as I'd never even considered it before but sounds really good/excellent from the info here and elswhere.

It's narrowing it down!
I couldnt wait to come and read the replies! I feel like I'm getting somewhere now.
Thanks heaps
Spearo

[1ponders]
28-02-2006, 10:19 AM
From what I have read and heard the 9.25 is considered by many to be the "pick" of the SCTs for imaging. I know of a number of imagers who had a C11 only to "down scale" to the 9.25. Particularly the carbon fiber one.

spearo
01-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone,
This has been unbelievably helpful.
I have made my mind up and I'll go for the C9.25 for my first proper scope.
I'm hunting down the best deal.
Who knows I might even try to get it for the weekend (I wasn't kidding ...I want it yesterday!)
Thanks for all the excellent and quick advice.
I'll let you know when I get it.
Cheers
spearo

Robert_T
01-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey Spearo, you might want to try Andrews COmmunications - they were by far the cheapest when I bought my C9.25, especially if you're looking to buy just the OTA separately.

cheers,

ausastronomer
01-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Paul,

This is because the primary mirror in the C9.25 has an F-Ratio of F2.5 whereas all other SCT's made by Celestron and Meade use an F2 primary. The primary mirror in a SCT is spherical and the slower primary mirror offers a flatter field. The C9.25 is also my pick of all portable SCT's for visual work also.

Nice choice Spearo, you will love it. Stick it on the best mount you can afford and I would recommend looking for a used Losmandy G11.

CS-John B

spearo
02-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Robert_T and Ausastronomer,
Thanks
I am going to Andrews tomorrow morning (day off work). A nice 3.5 hour driev to go get the 9.25.
I wont be getting the carbon fibre one i dont think but the generl package deal with CG5 goto etc.
I'll start off with this mount and spend the rest of my cash on descent eye pieces and possibly a cooled CCD (anyone wanna donate an SBIG?).
I reckon that the light weight of a cooled CCD will make up for the weight factor of the heavier non-carbon fibre tube.
Anyways,
In time i'll no doubt upgrade the mount, probably to a G11 when I win the lottery.
Cant wait to get the scope, hope it all works ok!
Thanks everyone,
It has really made a difference getting all your input and I feel I can trust Andrews based on all the good feedback in the group here.
Ill let you know how I go, hopefully with some pics too!
cheers
Spearo

Robert_T
02-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Good Stuff Spearo, you'll find the metal tube not much heavier than the carbon fibre anyway. I deliberately wanted the metal tube because they cool quicker. The CG5 Goto should be fine to start, I use my C9.25 on a Meade LXD75 which is much the same.

cheers,

matt
02-03-2006, 09:46 PM
You won't be disappointed. It's a beautiful scope.

Welcome to Club 9.25:thumbsup:

Get Bob's Knobs fitted as soon as you can and definitely have a look around for a mount to do it justice.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey.

g__day
03-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Good question, suggest you look here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8135

Cause I've listed all the mounts, there retail prices, carrying capacities and Peroidic error (pointing ability) along with typical OTA weights.

If you're considering astro imaging than a equatorial goto mount is preferrable, with auto guiding if you will consider long exposure shots. So a EQ6 + skyscan $2,100 is probably the bottom of your line up. The Losmandy GM-11 + Gemini Go To at $5,000 is probably the options your more suited to, else a Celestron CGE mount.

spearo
06-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks folks,
I'll let you know how I go on the steep learning curve
I think the scope doesnt come with a polar scope, Anyone know the best deal on an illuminated polar scope that fits the CG% goto mount of this scope?
Spearo
(why noone has designed a polar-self-aligning mount is beyond me...)
:rofl::rofl:

[1ponders]
07-03-2006, 12:03 AM
What and take all the fun out of it? :lol:

spearo
10-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Hello everyone,

Well, it's done. I've acquired a C9.25 GOTO CG5 XLT from Andrews Comm.
Works like a charm, The visual is beautiful (Saturn and M42 are just amazing) and the mount is great.
I can tell I have a steep learning curve ahead of me before i get some descent pictures but that's half the fun of it I reckon!

By the way, I am glad I got your advice in regards to the C9.25 and where to get it.

I recommend Andrews for their very professional service, expert advice and prompt communications with me (Mr Andrews replied to all my emails on the same days I sent them!)
BTW, Andrews staff now include a pro from another shop (good to see poaching is alive and well!), he knows his stuff and is very good with customers.

Thanks to everyone

Spearo

[1ponders]
10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Congratulation Spearo. :clap::clap::clap:

You sound like a very happy camper :D

Of course now that you have joined the ranks of the "soon to be destitute" imagers, we expect a regular series of reports on how well your scope and mount is going. I don't know if we have any other CG5 owners here, so don't pull any punches. I suppose the first report by Monday night will be fine. Followed by one every three months as you learn more about it. ;) :lol:

Congrats again. Enjoy

spearo
12-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks Paul,
Well, It's Sunday morning, 12th March...last two night have been cloudy so no progress, except for the rising blood pressure caused by the mass of clouds i could see moving in last night!
HAhAHA
I'll be targetting the following "challenges" next: descent south polar alignment, experimenting with cameras available to me now (rigged up security CCDs, Sony handycam, S7000 (girlfriend's) and Nikon D100 (friend's) until I make a final jump into cooled CCD. Next will come issues like micro/robo focusser sort of thing but i think I need to wait until I have selected a cooled CCD before working out the most appropriate computer controlled focusser for the 9.25. I'll hae to set up my webpage to include pics I take over time.

There are also plans to open up my roaming range: I will be able to move away from the desktop beast as soon as the girlfriend buys me ...(cough) herself that new laptop she thinks she needs (:whistle:)...

Cheers
Spearo

[1ponders]
12-03-2006, 10:15 AM
:lol:

I knew it. You're hooked :lol: Poor man.

spearo
12-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Must be hooked....
told the girlfriend this weird dream i had the other night:
in a room full of people including a ....lets say, not well liked politician...i realised he had at the end of boring political diatribe pamphlet 4 pages of star charts etc suggesting his personal interest in astronomy....
i thought to myself:"Wel, maybe he's an OK guy after all..."
woke up in astartle and told the GF who cracked up laughing and couldnt go back to sleep !
:rofl:
So the bug seems well entrenched to be intruding in my sleep so I best invest in the cure!
spearo

Calin
12-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Cure is ... you give me your scope and keep dreaming ..... of your favourite poly.....

spearo
12-03-2006, 02:36 PM
No chance Calin!
been studying the void of south celestial pole to best prepare for the alignment i might try tonight if we get clear skies.
I also fitted (makeshift) a polar scope (northern hemisphere) into my mount (bought one that doesnt quite fit, with a nice internal map including polaris....handy!) ...I'll have to get a good one that fits the CG5 at some point...
Also been looking at my little hill behind the house with a neighbour who owns a chainsaw...I think it'll be a good spot for an "observatory"...his skills with the chainsaw will come in handy to lose two trees that slightly block the celestial view...
doesnt look like i'm about to hand over my scope.
But as I say: I accept all donations!:poke:
spearo

Calin
13-03-2006, 12:19 AM
By my recollection HR8630 in Octantis is a close star to SCP
alt:26"47'.40
Az: 181" 22'.06

or Polaris Australis HR7228
RA 21h14m Dec -88"56'

Maybe my off-sider can give you a hand with that observatory on the hill ...
:whistle:

spearo
14-03-2006, 10:52 PM
HAHAHA
you need to consider giving that poor offsider a raise so he can afford descent workwear gear!

I agree the polaris Australis seems good...assuming I could find it with the polar scope, which i think I have less than a good chance to achieve with my skill at this point.

I have been contemplating using the goto to find south celestial pole, lighting it p with green laser (making ennemies of any neighbouring imagers...), lining it up with my other scope (100mmachro), transferring the green laser to that 100mm, then setting the mount of the 9.25 properly aligned...

as for the hill...the trees get a stay of execution as I find the open field i the back even better (i have a small amount of acreage).

Might design and build a basic shelter to house the scope/mount. dont think i'll be wanting to move it if i ever get it properly aligned!
:shrug:
spearo
(still happy to accept all donations of SBIGs or any other cooled CCD camera....well, I'm not proud....either I spend on camera equipement or eat...I reckon i can go without food for a while....:rofl::rofl:)

acropolite
15-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Congratulations Spearo, IMHO you have made the best choice; I'm sure you'll enjoy the new toy, don't forget to post a picture. :)

GrampianStars
15-03-2006, 12:34 PM
The easiest way to find the South Celestial Pole is to extend the arm of Crux, the Southern Cross, about 4 1/2 "cross" lengths.
The position is nearly marked by the closest SCP star, Sigma Octanis, at magnitude 5.5 is offset by about 2 degrees from SCP :thumbsup:
In another 7,000 years, the SCP will be marked by two bright stars,
Aspidiske (Iota Carina) and Delta Velorum, both about Mag 2 stars.

I'm hanging around for that show :screwy: