PDA

View Full Version here: : (my) First Light Lumicon UHC

bonox
27-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Heard lots about these from bods at star parties and on this intertron thingy and finally decided to jump in and have a look. Bought dhumpies UHC a couple of months ago, and then the weather moved in, or I was travelling... grrr!

Earlier this week, had a chance to give her a decent run from my little patch of real estate in kingsford Sydney (ie in the city).

Now i bought my first big light bucket 6 months ago, a meade LX90, and it did wonders for reviving my interest in the hobby as I got sick of setup time and trying to star hop as a young kid on a 4incher without any instruction. The filter makes a big difference for me looking over a number of big street lights neon signs and football fields that seem to be lit up until 2am for no real reason. Got the best views i've ever had of tarantula and eta carinae and it even made a very interesting addition to the nose of the ToUCam I use for guiding - visual use only my foot! :D

Now, what do i need next? *hopes for rain in sydney to pass*

JoeBlow
27-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey bonox,

I am thinking of purchasing some type of filter such as a UHC to help combat some of the light pollution here in Campbelltown. Its good to see its working very well for you from your location. But I still want to read more user reviews of them before planning to buy one.

Also it must be really bad for you living in Kingsford, thats practically central sydney. What would you say is the limiting magnitude from your place? Can you see all 5 stars in the southern cross? I heard in the inner city you can only see 3 now, but i know your a bit further out.

bonox
27-02-2006, 12:33 PM
i can see the primary four - some good sundays you can see all five :)

middle of the city is just stoopid for anything other than high filtered photographic work i think.

dhumpie
27-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey Tim,

Glad to see that you are finally getting the chance to try out the filter. Those things, to me, are the best inventions since they "add an inch of two" to your scope. Brilliant for visual work....

Darren

MarkN
27-02-2006, 11:02 PM
I have a similar filter on the way and have just taken delivery of a Baader OIII. The comparisons with the Lumicon will be interesting.

Last Friday night was reasonable observing so the OIII was attached to the 32 mm for a look at NGC2070 (the Tarantula). God, I'd hate to live there. Presented a very scary picture with the filter that I was totally unprepared for. Eta Carinae's dark lanes were greatly accentuated as was the overall nebulosity.

All in all, a very worthwhile spend.

Should add that Saturn was marvellous viewing as well. Three moons very much in evidence.

Mark.

dhumpie
28-02-2006, 09:36 AM
The OIII filters are a revelation for planetary nebula's. Andrew (astro_south) has one and the internal detail we saw in the Ghost of Jupiter and the Eskimo Nebula were nothing short of spectacular. The detail was also visible with the UHC (or NPB) but it was sharper in the OIII.

Darren

Merlin66
28-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Have a look at
http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/grism2.htm

Shows comparison of various DS filters bandwidths.

bonox
28-02-2006, 10:42 AM
filters still seem to be like photographs - each person sees something different in them, and there is a difference between pleasing to the eye and scientifically useful.

Still, perhaps it's time i introduced myself to an OIII :D

dhumpie
01-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Ya the views are nice in the OIII but I still like the views in my UHC type filters (well DGM's NPB). Reasons are because they show more nebulosity at the expense of some detail which may or may not be obvious. If you do get an OIII, hang onto your UHC :) I know it served me very well for 4 years at least.....

Darren

bonox
01-03-2006, 03:04 PM
hey, that litle uhc isn't going anywhere! :D