PDA

View Full Version here: : Recommendations please

AdrianF
16-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Can someone recommend a good set od binoculars in the 10 x 50 or 10 X 70?

Adrian

dannat
16-09-2011, 08:42 PM
There are 2 sets of fujinon in ice trade, 7x50 & 10x70 some of the best astro bins you could get
Do you want them for daytime handheld also?

AdrianF
16-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Would like them for both astro and terrestrial use.

Adrian

dannat
16-09-2011, 10:09 PM
For terrestrial, if you need them for the bay/boats indiv focus is okay, but for walking I find it cumbersome, so centre focus may be better..
Pentax make decent glass but fov is usually limited, there are Andrews ultra mb series( the 10x70 is very good) and nikon are fine also

Alchemy
16-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I have a set of fujinon 10x70 FMT-SX, gob smackingly sharp, nitrogen filled, there is a teeny weeny bit of chromatic aberration at the edges, noticeable on really bright daytime objects..... Never noticed it at night. Independantly focusable eyepieces.

Things to look for in binoculars, nice clean edges of field, wander your eyes across the field and see just where the field loses it's focus, cheaper ones will die off for the last 1/3 of the field.
How hard is it too hold steady, 10x is actually difficult to hold for long particularly a heavy set. Eye relief, I actually have an astigmatism so to get the best need to wear glasses, it's minor but might be of interest, mine have a long relief.
Exit pupil, old eyes open less than young ones so consider accordingly
FOV I like wideish and find the stability control ones a little tight for my liking... Each to his own.
At the end of the day, buy a quality pair and they should last a lifetime and always be a pleasure to use.