PDA

View Full Version here: : 2-speed focuser for ED80?

iceman
14-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Hi guys

I've got the standard original focuser on my Saxon ED80, and it has trouble (and I have trouble) with a heavy camera on the end of the 2x barlow + extension.

I have to lock the focuser in place so it doesn't slip when the telescope is pointing almost upwards, which means I can't focus!

And even when I do focus, the single speed makes it difficult to be precise.

What are my options and what the costs for a cheap but effective upgraded focuser?

Thanks

ZeroID
14-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi Mike, I don't know about cheap upgrades but saw on Cloudy Nights a simple way to give better control on a focusser. User had fitted a long arm, 100 -150mm maybe to the knob so he had better control over smaller movements. It might possibly also give better leverage against snugged focussers where they have been tightened to prevent slippage.

You wanted cheap ... :shrug:

I might have a go at making a lock-on arm and see how it works for myself. My little 80 F5 can be a bit pernicketty on that sharp point. Some method of releasing to make coarse adjustments then a knob to tighten it on and use the extended arm to finalise the focus.

Hmmm, .. another wee project to play with. Like I haven't got enough already. :rolleyes:

Huh ! 700 posts already ... how about that ?

multiweb
14-09-2011, 08:32 AM
GSO 10:1 will fit the ED80 like a glove. I picked one up for $100 or so 3yrs ago from Andrew. Don't know what they are now but that's as cheap as you'll go and they do the job.

gbeal
14-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Mike,
depends how cheap you desire.
The Frog has the obvious answer, but if I read it right, the issue is gravity, and predominantly when vertical, correct? Maybe and bear in mind I have always thought of this but never tried it, try a rubber band system to "pull" the draw tube back up/in.
Yes, I can hear you laughing from here, but give it a go for me, please.
Gary

iceman
14-09-2011, 01:58 PM
lol thanks Gary, I could give it a go now but I really want the 10:1 as well for more fine grain focusing.

If the GSO 10:1 still has the issue when vertical i'll try that :)

Thanks marc - Will look for one.