PDA

View Full Version here: : Televue Pronto

FlashDrive
12-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Have the opportunity to " buy second hand " in very good condition one of these ... doesn't come with a diagonal.

Televue Pronto 70mm Doublet .... she is asking $550.00
Is a '' one " owner scope..... Televue don't make these anymore ... ( the pronto that is ) ... they do make other size refractors thou'

It's obviously a " grab & go scope .... Televue do have a reputation for excellent gear.

Would you buy this scope ... or recommend it . :shrug:

The pic shown is a Pronto ... for illustration purposes only

Flash :thanx:

cookie8
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
A little beauty it is. One of my dream scope some 20 yrs ago....

Barrykgerdes
12-09-2011, 05:49 PM
At that price it should be a good buy
About the same size as an ED80 but I would expect better quality being teleview.

Barry

FlashDrive
12-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks Vincent and Barry on your thoughts ... still in limbo .... may take the plunge ... thanks to the " tax man " .

Other comments still welcome.

Flash :thumbsup:

rmcconachy
12-09-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't mean to diss the TV Pronto in any way but what are you hoping that the Pronto will do for you that your SV Raptor cannot?

jamespierce
12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Ha, well if you don't want it - I'd put in a bit to run it on my Dob as a finder scope.

Profiler
12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi Colin

It depends what you want from it. Your previous M88 and Raptor would both outperform the pronto. While the pronto is an extremely good semi-apo it is no APO. I have a very rare brass ranger which has the identical lens and an extra 2mm of fl (which makes all the difference) but I will never part with it and keep it for sentimental reasons only. If you want the pronto for nostalgia - then sure - why not - but for optics and actually looking around many of the mass produced FPL-53 scopes these days will give a better view. If you want an old scope that is something special especially in optics then "try" and get an old real fluorite scope like an old Tak/Vixen or a TV Genesis

FlashDrive
13-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Absolutely nothing in regards to optics .... I've never owned one ... wanted to know if they were as good as they proclaim.... don't want to waste my money if they were a " lemon ".

My " direction " or cause for buying it ( if I do ) would be more of a " nostalgic " issue ... you cannot buy these anymore ( and they probably will never be a " sort after " item anyway... but who knows ) ... something to hand down to the grand kids.

Thanks for your comment.

FlashDrive
13-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Your pretty much on the " ball " there Profiler .... the pronto for nostalgia - then sure - why not -..:thumbsup:
Wanted to know if they were worth their " salt " before parting with the cash or a waste of time.

Many thanks for your comment :thanx:

Flash .

dannat
13-09-2011, 04:28 PM
you will see a reasonable amount of false colour - a newer scope may be better for imaging

FlashDrive
13-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks Daniel ... for sure.... being a semi-APO there will be " some " false colour issues .... I have a 2 inch William Optics VR-1 Filter which " coupled " to this Pronto should improve this ( one would think .. anyway ) ... that's what the VR Filters are supposed to do... get rid of the " false halo effect " on bright objects.

Anyway ... we'll see where I go with this.

Profiler
13-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Colin

There is also a "maybe for the right money" Sky90 up for grabs in the classifieds. I know it is probably a lot more money but maybe something to consider. Alternatively, have you thought about a Tak FS-60? There is a very good review on CN comparing the Pronto and FS-60 against each other (as well as an ED80) - basic conclusion of the review is despite being the smallest (60mm) the FS-60 won in every respect

FlashDrive
13-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks Profiler ... will check this out ... some " light " reading eh ... !!!!:D

Gem
14-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Flash, I have never known of Televue making a lemon! Anything they make will have quality to it.
Having said that, 90% of their stuff is out of my price range!! :rofl:
My foray into TV products is limited to a nagler and a plossl...

Profiler
14-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Colin
Another thought - while the AUD is still strong and TV prices are low(ish) why not consider a TV-76 as life long investment type scope you can pass down etc? There are many many very good reviews endorsement of this scope as having all the benefits of the pronto and none of the drawbacks. It is essentially the pronto (although a fraction shorter) with a bigger better objective.

FlashDrive
14-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks Profiler ...another one to consider .. but .... I had a look through the Pronto in question, and I have to say ... what a " gem " ... so nice ..optics are lovely ... nice broadband coatings can be seen on the lens .. the Focuser ( although " single " speed ) is buttery smooth and the views are nothing to complain about either.... IMHO.

And so .... I took it home with me :thumbsup: .... a few pics for you.

Flash :D

MortonH
14-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Very nice, Colin. There's definitely 'something' about TeleVue scopes. Still regret selling my TV-85 a few years back.

Cheers

Morton

Profiler
14-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Looks good Colin - don't be bothered by the single speed focuser as when made well (as all TV focusers are) they are just as good as a dual speed. It also looks to be in exceptionally good condition. I might take out my ranger tonight for a look around if time permits